Transparent Pillar Technology By Jaguar-Land Rover

Thread Starter #1
Jaguar Land Rover is previewing a new technology called "360 Virtual Urban Windscreen" featuring transparent roof pillars.
The pillars are not transparent per se as the technology consists of installing exterior cameras covering the angles which are obscured by blind spots and then showing the footage on screens installed on the pillars. Thanks to this equipment, drivers would have a better view of the surroundings and will be able to easily detect pedestrians, cyclists and other cars, thus decreasing the risks of an accident.
Interestingly, when the driver indicates to change direction and moves their head, the system will automatically make the left or right pillar "transparent" which would also be very useful when arriving at a junction.
Jaguar Land Rover is also developing a technology called Follow-Me Ghost Car Navigation which projects the image of a vehicle in front of the driver's car to follow until reaching destination.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c98h41TkREA
Source: Transparent pillar technology previewed by Jaguar Land Rover [video]

The next level of improvement to improve the road safety. Good JLR.

I loved the Follow-Me Ghost Car Navigation system. Very easy & very convenient. Just wondering whether I will get this technology in my car in my life time. [glasses]

Thread Starter #5
Safety systems from JLR

After showcasing the transparent pillar technology; Jaguar Land Rover has unveiled their new Bike Sense system which warns drivers about nearby bicycles and motorcycles.

By utilizing a variety of sensors, the system is able to determine when a bicycle or motorcycle is approaching the car. The system will then alert the driver by playing the sound of either a bicycle bell or motorcycle horn through the speaker nearest the bike. This has two benefits as the driver will instantly know where the cyclist is coming from and whether they are riding a bike or a motorcycle.

If the cyclist is overtaking the car, the driver's seat with extended to "tap" the driver on either the right or left shoulder to indicate the direction the cyclist is coming from.

As the cyclist gets closer, a series of LED lights - on the window sills, dashboard and A-pillars - will illuminate to show the cyclist's position and proximity to the vehicle.

The system can even detect riders that the driver cannot see. When this occurs and the driver ignores the warnings and presses the accelerator, the pedal will vibrate and feel stiff to remind them about the approaching cyclist.

If that's not impressive enough, the system will also help to prevent the doors from being opened into the path of oncoming bikes when the vehicle is parked.

According to JLR Director of Research and Technology, Dr Wolfgang Epple, “Bike Sense takes us beyond the current technologies of hazard indicators and icons in wing mirrors, to optimizing the location of light, sound and touch to enhance this intuition. This creates warnings that allow a faster cognitive reaction as they engage the brain’s instinctive responses."

The system is currently a prototype but Jaguar says this kind of technology is important because nearly 19,000 cyclists are killed or injured on UK roads every year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LP541Z4V1jQ
Source: Jaguar Land Rover

It's great to see such technologies and wonderful ideas popping up. JLR great job!
Just wondering how complex our machines are going to be in near future [surprise]

Top Bottom