Suzuki Bids Adieu To Kizashi and Grand Vitara

Thread Starter #1
The production of Suzuki Kizashi and Grand Vitara come to an end in the home country Japan.

Suzuki has announced discontinuation of Kizashi and Escudo / Grand Vitara models. News broke via a Suzuki spokesperson from Japan, who mentioned to Just-Auto that the models are no longer being manufactured. This confirms long standing rumours that the models were waiting beneath the axe.

The news is not a surprise, not just because of the rumours, but also since Suzuki admitted that launch of Kizashi was a mistake, a year ago. At the same time, Suzuki also said that a replacement for the sedan is not in the pipeline.

Even successor for Escudo / Grand Vitara is not in the cards. Suzuki stated to an Australian media in 2014 October that a replacement for the ageing SUV is not likely to happen. The model has been on sale since 2005.

But the Vitara name is being used for a new compact crossover. UK launch of the same is slatted for 2015 April, to compete with Ford EcoSport, Dacia Duster, Nissan Juke, Renault Captur and yet-to launch Honda HRV.

Source: JAPAN: Suzuki Grand Vitara & Kizashi build ends

Last edited by a moderator:
what took maruti so long to realize their mistakes. Any ways they could have sourced some diesel engine from TATA or so and plonked it in vitara that would have sold. but Kizashi was bound to fail when it was launched.

Don't know about the GV but the Kizashi was a lovely and fantastic machine! Its initial pricing killed it but I cannot find anything wrong in it except the price. And this is coming from a big Maruti hater. In fact, i even consider the Kizashi as a worthy replacement for the Civic if it had been launched by Honda! It was one of my favourite vehicles along with the City, the Octavia, and the Evoque. [:)]

Model discontinued --> investment on the tool, facility, etc wasted (not sure about GV, but in case of Kiz, I doubt they had a break-even point in terms of payback)

Current gen GV with a diesel heart should sell like a hot cake in India if priced around 10L. What killed Kizashi in India is the pricing (since CKD) and lack of diesel mill. Nor sure how profitable and cost efficient if the facility is being shifted to India and added a diesel engine to it.

PS: Feel pity for the one who invested in Kizashi.

Kizashi and Vitara were bound to fail here in India. They offered nothing special at the price point and the 'S' logo they carried was their biggest enemy.

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Suzuki Kizashi, Grand Vitara production to continue despite reports of models’ demise
Great one there VM[clap]. At present Maruti Suzuki has a sore spot in their Indian portfolio as they do not have a proper SUV. The expected ones like S Cross and YBA etc can't fill the SUV's gap hence a good improved SUV like Vitara surely can fill the gap. Kizashi, I am not clear, because my uncle vaguely pointed out that something is cooking in MSIL regarding a Ciaz successor which might come soon so could be possible that Kizashi might get revamped.

Regards

Akash

Top Bottom