Jaguar Land Rover Inaugurates its First Overseas Plant in China

Thread Starter #1

AMG

Suspended
Tata Motors’ owned Jaguar Land Rover inaugurated it first overseas manufacturing facility, in China, yesterday. The West-Midlands based British manufacturer’s Range Rover Evoque will be the first model to be built under the first Chinese-British automotive joint venture, with Chery Automobile Company Ltd.

So what happened to the pride that JLR is owned by Tata? The fact that Tata is India's pride and all that?

Look at how loyal Mr Tata is to the country. That he, instead of opening the plant here and giving employment to Indians chose China.

Re: Jaguar Land Rover inaugurates its first overseas manufacturing facility in China

Look at how loyal Mr Tata is to the country. That he, instead of opening the plant here and giving employment to Indians chose China.
Do you want to know the reason ?

"Since its launch, one in five Range Rover Evoques have been sold in China. Our decision to manufacture the Range Rover Evoque in Changshu is a result of our commitment to bringing more Chinese vehicles to Chinese customers."
-Dr Ralf Speth, Chief Executive Officer of Jaguar Land Rover

Thread Starter #3

AMG

Suspended
Re: Jaguar Land Rover inaugurates its first overseas manufacturing facility in China

3/5 iPhones are sold in USA.

But apple doesnt start making them there. Does it?

It's because China is now the biggest market for Jaguar Land Rover and the import duty on the luxury cars with big engine capacity is very high in China.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

In today's time of business expansion, I don't see any issues with a brand starting up a manufacturing facility in a foreign country. Prior to making a statement for a man of stature like Mr Ratan Tata, one should be extremely clear of background of the decision. Why don't other nations raise a question when their automotive brands start manufacturing units in India?

A few foreign brands who manufacture vehicles in India:

Skoda makes cars in Aurangabad

Toyota makes cars in Bangalore

Maruti Suzuki makes cars in Manesar (Haryana)

Honda Siel makes cars in Greater Noida.

To take a step for enhancing the company's standing and portfolio there is nothing wrong to establish a brand in new/ developing markets. There are n-number of foreign auto brands in India.

Regards

Akash

Thread Starter #6

AMG

Suspended

They make in India not because they have a choice to.

They make in India because out import laws force them to.

Akash1886

Honoured Member

They make in India not because they have a choice to. They make in India because out import laws force them to.
I am sorry but excuse me for saying this, your comment above projects India as the least favorable nation for foreign auto brands. Anyway its your view. I feel more than anything, the reason for which foreign auto brands have entered India is simply because they know India is a very viable and strong market for them. They definitely appreciate the policies of Indian government which gives them the much needed support for expansion and building infrastructure here.

If I go by your import law theory then, why did many brands started to provide spares of their cars from India only instead of importing? Before you ask anything, there are brands who are not importing the parts in India for their cars rather they are giving the Indian market the spares that are also manufactured in their plants only just because they don't want to loose on a lucrative market like India.

PS: Kindly understand, neither me nor you have even 1% of knowledge that Mr. TATA has. He is in the business since the time we were not even born. Please frame your statements based on reason of a decision. We can't question or raise finger on the loyalty and acumen of a person like Mr. Ratan Tata on a respected forum like TAI without knowing the background.

Regards

Akash

Last edited:
Thread Starter #8

AMG

Suspended

I am sorry but excuse me for saying this, your 1: comment above projects India as the least favorable nation for foreign auto brands. Anyway its your view. I feel more than anything, the reason for which foreign auto brands have entered India is simply because they know India is a very viable and strong market for them. They definitely appreciate the policies of Indian government which gives them the much needed support for expansion and building infrastructure here.

If I go by your import law theory then, why did many brands started to provide spares of their cars from India only instead of importing? Before you ask anything, there are brands who are not importing the parts in India for their cars rather they are giving the Indian market the spares that are also manufactured in their plants only just because they don't want to loose on a lucrative market like India.

PS: Kindly understand, neither me nor you have even 1% of knowledge that Mr. TATA has. He is in the business since the time we were not even born. Please frame your statements based on reason of a decision. We can't question or raise finger on the loyalty and acumen of a person like Mr. Ratan Tata on a respected forum like TAI without knowing the background.

Regards

Akash

I can. And I will.

1: My comment projects no such thing. Its your mis-understanding and delibrate twisting of my words in furtherance of your hidden and vested interests.

2: I believe you are talking about CKDs. The fact about CKDs is that even if they are assembled here, they actually hire people from India. So some people get employment. And they also pay duty.
PS: Since this is an auto forum it may be prudent for you to pick and choose words nicely and to use the correct terminology.

3: Incase you dont have the habit of reading a newspaper, let me update you with a recent development.

HMSI has said that they wil make their 650cc bike here in India (yes make, not assemble) instead of thailand, because they are massively impressed by the benifits offered by our honourable Prime Minister Mr. Modi.

And then(the much hyped) Tata comes along and abandons his own country.

They make in India not because they have a choice to.

They make in India because out import laws force them to.
It's the exact same reason JLR started manufacturing in China because their import laws also forced them to. If JLR has to stay in business and then they need to sell at the competitive price compared to the big three germans.

Its a good thing for the Tata Motors in terms of profitability and indirectly to all the Shareholders.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10

AMG

Suspended

China charges a mere 25% import duty.

And JLR being a premium brnd can command that much of a premium. Unlike our country where the import tax is 110%

350Z

Core Team

So what happened to the pride that JLR is owned by Tata? The fact that Tata is India's pride and all that?

Your argument is valid from your own standpoint but let's be clear about some of the facts first:

• China is the biggest automotive market in the world. (Link)

• Jaguar-Land Rover is one of the top selling luxury car brands in China. (Link)

• Even before manufacturing locally, JLR managed to sell over a lakh imported units in China. (Link)

• Jaguar Land Rover has a tie up with Chery Automobiles. This plant is an outcome of the same collaboration (50-50% investment by both).
It's only obvious for any business / business person with sane mind to prioritize and cash in the market which has maximum demand at the moment.

I'm sure we can rant why certain things weren't done / how they should be done but let's admit, folks at the top have a better view than what's just apparent.

Tata is following similar path in India too based on whatever demand we have. XF, XJ and Freelander are its best selling models which are now assembled in Pune.

Last time I read, they are performing market feasibility study for setting up full-production plant in India: Jaguar Land Rover studying full production in India.

However, what's sure is that it's more difficult to execute a large project than what it takes to condemn or criticize something without understanding the full picture.

Drive Safe,
350Z

3/5 iPhones are sold in USA.
But apple doesnt start making them there. Does it?
Apple will definitely want to gain some ground in the world’s largest Smartphone market. Yes I am not talking about US, but China which is also the world’s largest car market.

No brainer, at least for me.

Again, I am least interested to discuss on China’s manufacturing competitiveness here on this forum.

Thread Starter #13

AMG

Suspended
Mercedes Benz sells 3000 S class a month in China = 36K in a year.

Thats 36% of their total sales.

Yet they dont make it in China.

Mercedes Benz sells 3000 S class a month in China = 36K in a year.
Thats 36% of their total sales.
Yet they dont make it in China.
It is just a matter of time, if at all.

:offtopic:[evil]

Audi is the No. 1 luxury brand by volume in China [ sells nearly double that of Benz] followed by BMW and then Mercedes-Benz at the top-end.

Audi produces more than 9 out of 10 cars it sells in China.

Read on the Daimler's Mercedes-Benz’s plan for China.

Troska aims to make Mercedes-Benz cars more affordable by producing significantly more of what it sells in China.
The turnaround plan envisages seven out of 10 cars it sells in China will be made in the country by 2015 - up from around half now - a move that would allow the company to avoid the high tariffs and taxes levied on imported cars.
BTW, Trosika is Daimler's new China chief.

I don't know why Ratan Tata is blamed for this one.
China is one of the biggest market for JLR and they started producing the cars there for that market. What's wrong in it?
Its not the case of producing in China and exporting to other countries.

Now JLR plans to start an aluminium processing facility in Saudi Arabia. Its all about business.

P.S China plant started taking shape way before "Make in India" campaign[lol]

Top Bottom