American Vs Japenese Vs European: Best Vehicle Manufacturer?

The best Vehicle Manufacturer?

• American

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Japenese

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • European

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Thread Starter #1

Akash1886

Honoured Member
Team,

This thread is not based on a comparison between 2 different car/bike models rather it is based on the fact i.e which is the best country in terms of vehicle manufacturing; Americans, Japanese or Europeans? The thread encompasses both 2&4 Wheeler.

Please mention the pros and cons of the above mentioned vehicle manufacturers.

I look forward for an interesting discussion on the same.

Regards

Akash

Great topic indeed! Let the comments flow..

My vote for Europeans. Simply because they have clutter free designs (yeah no extra creases in the name of fluidic design), strong build , superb fit & finish, ride quality & refined engines. But what they need to improve in India is ASS & network.

Japanese/Korean cars are VFM (including Acura & Lexus) but lacks the quality of Europeans (here exclude Acura & Lexus). Many of their cars have flimsy built but I never understood how come these lasts so long. You might have seen many American/German cars flat-bedded and towing apart many times, but seeing a Japanese car in such situation is rare[confused]

American brands never had a good run in India (barring Ford) as they are costly and loaded with less features compared with above competitors. But yes, they are spacious with big engines under the hood, and provide great drivability.

Last edited:
Although I love European cars, voted for Japanese.
Because the Japanese have been and are making good quality cars, even though not as solid as Euro ones, for a cheaper price and lower maintenance costs. You can see when the Corolla/Elantra outsell the Jetta/Octavia.
I personally think that VW nowadays are a bit too boring, giving the same, plain, old exteriors and interiors and changing only the alloys and steering wheel. Although these are understated and classy, they are a bit too boring when compared to Hyundai or even Skoda. But still, Europeans can't be beaten in terms of quality.
Although European cars are loved by many (including me), most Indians don't really own them just because of the service and costs of owning a Euro car in India.
The Japanese seem to be the real "Mass-market" manufacturers, with decent quality, comfort and performance at a better price. At least in India, the Japanese are better.

Thread Starter #8

Akash1886

Honoured Member
I have so far owned European and Japenese vehicles. I feel the sustainability of Japanese is all because of fuel efficiency. More over in a country like India they have got a mass base due to this only. Strength wise no match to Europeans. I have seen the manufacturing of Skoda cars in their Aurangabad plant way back in late 2008. I vouch for its strength and same for Chevrolet too. The only thing that has gone against the European brands here is the sluggish and laid-back after-sales network.

My brother is there in VW at higher management and we discuss a lot about these VW cars and Skoda so he too accepts that the After sales network needs lot of improvisation. Otherwise, there is no match of European cars.

Regards

Akash

Voted for Japanese.

Americans/Europeans invented line manufacturing concept but I think Japanese took it forward ensuring consistent quality in mass production. Cars from Toyota, Honda etc. are known for their quality and long lasting capability world over.

I differ in opinion expressed generally that they use thin metal sheet and hence not long lasting etc. and American/European manufacturer provide solid construction with thick metal sheets and are more safe. I don't think any Japanese car are lagging behind in safety norms. Taxi sector in India use and abuse Japanese vehicle for years on (example Innova or Qualis) but still they are comfortable to use and serve the purpose. Please give me an example from American/Europe manufactured vehicle which will serve like these. Here I am not even considering fuel efficiency at all.

Engineering is to design optimally and efficiently with minimum raw material and high quality meeting the requirements. To me increasing the size of the car and providing more space is not great but to maximize space within available dimensions is good engineering. Please note all these are my personal opinions. I believe Japanese are better vehicle manufacturers.

I have voted for Japanese considering India. Somehow Indian first success story for a car business started with maruti 800 with a japanese (suzuki) collaboration. Now others find it tough to compete with the monopoly created by Japanese in India. It may take further more years to level Japanese domination in India

Last edited:

AMG

Suspended
Japanese/Korean cars are VFM (including Acura & Lexus) but lacks the quality of Europeans (here exclude Acura & Lexus). Many of their cars have flimsy built but I never understood how come these lasts so long. You might have seen many American/German cars flat-bedded and towing apart many times, but seeing a Japanese car in such situation is rare[confused]

Seen the top gear episode in which they tried to destroy the Toyota pick up truck?

And as for me, I'm not voting. There are good cars and bad cars from every manufacturer.

Heart is set on American Muscle and European Exoticism
BUT

Mind is still in the favor of the 'Land of the Rising Sun.

European got my vote.

American: Luxurious, spacious, safe, but FE poor, costlier
Japenese: Lightweight, good FE but poor safety (due to more plastic parts & thin metal).
European: Futuristic technology, well build, but average FE, costlier
Although I agree on the points stated, but not much.

American: Luxurious, spacious, safe, but FE poor, costlier
Americans are all about muscle, V8's etc are what they love. No low displacement engines and a lot of tough trucks BUT
They have the offerings like Focus, Beat etc also.
In terms of luxury, if we keep aside the Lincoln, then it is the Europeans who hold the true luxury brigade.
No doubt on safety front, but then any car going to America needs to be safe.

Japenese: Lightweight, good FE but poor safety (due to more plastic parts & thin metal).
Lightweight and good FE fronts I agree but poor safety is arguable.
The Japanese have produced some legendary vehicles like Land Cruiser, GT-R, Pajero, Montero etc
And I guess they are safe ones. Even the likes of Corolla, Camry, Civic, City, all do score good in crash tests. And there are tough build SUVs like Pajero, Montero, Land Cruiser and even Fortuner.
And how to forget the Land cruiser V8(LC 200)? The car which everyone can swear on and is known to be one of the toughest vehicles ever built.

European: Futuristic technology, well build, but average FE, costlier
Ecoboost is from America and i-vtec is from Japan.
No doubt on luxury, fit and finish.
BTW I also love Europeans!! :stupid:

My vote still goes for Japanese because they offer the best bang for your buck and they do offer the best overall balance of all the ingredients. Adding to that:
Americans: Muscle
Europeans: Exotics
Japanese: Tuners

I'd any day pick a well made tuner and enjoy the full of its power.

Rest here is something to show:
eng.JPG
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring...rman-cars-lose-out-in-reliability-survey.html

Last edited:
They all treat India very poorly, Chinese cars are sold under American names (Chevrolet-Sail sisters). Japanese giants Honda and Toyota are making India oriented cheap cars (Etios/Liva/Amaze) with 90s interiors. Europeon's want premium for even brands like Skoda, worst after sales.

For this reason, I want TATA to succeed. Hopefully Zest will open the eyes of everyone.

Unfortunately Maruti brand name is used but highly dominated by Suzuki. We want Indian car companies like TATA Mahindra to come up to higher levels. Controlling Suzuki dominance from Maruti Suzuki miserably failed due to lacklustre attitude towards disinvestment. Now MSIL is dominated by japanese Suzuki. Maruti was a Govt run company when it rolled out first Maruti 800 !!!

Last edited:
They all treat India very poorly, ...
For this reason, I want TATA to succeed. Hopefully Zest will open the eyes of everyone.
We want Indian car companies like TATA Mahindra to come up to higher levels.
I hope too, such threads come up in Europe / Japan / US forums discussing about Indian companies dominance in their car market. [frustration]

Top Bottom