Mark Fields To Succeed Alan Mulally as Ford's CEO

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
Alan Mulally is unarguably one of the most respected and influential figures in the entire automobile industry. He'll soon be retiring on July 1, 2014.

Holding the position of new CEO will be Mark Fields who has been the COO of Ford since December 2012.

Ford Motor Company announced today that Alan Mulally has decided to retire from the company July 1 and Mark Fields will be named Ford president and chief executive officer and elected as a member of the company’s board of directors.

“From the first day we discussed Ford’s transformation eight years ago, Alan and I agreed that developing the next generation of leaders and ensuring an orderly CEO succession were among our highest priorities,” Executive Chairman Bill Ford said. “Mark has transformed several of our operations around the world into much stronger businesses during his 25 years at Ford. Now, Mark is ready to lead our company into the future as CEO.”

Mulally, 68, is retiring after nearly eight years leading Ford and capping a remarkable 45-year career. Mulally has led Ford’s transformation and strengthened its position as one of the world’s leading global automakers. Under Mulally and the company’s One Ford plan for profitable growth, Ford has achieved 19 consecutive quarters of profitability, developed the strongest product lineup in Ford’s history and embarked upon the company’s most ambitious global expansion in the past half century.

“Alan deservedly will be long remembered for engineering one of the most successful business turnarounds in history,” Bill Ford said. “Under Alan’s leadership, Ford not only survived the global economic crisis, it emerged as one of the world’s strongest auto companies. We always will be grateful to Alan for his leadership, compelling vision and for fostering a culture of working together that will serve our company for decades to come.”

The transition in July is approximately six months earlier than previously anticipated, following Mulally’s recommendation to accelerate the timetable based on the readiness of Ford’s leadership team.

“Alan and I feel strongly that Mark and the entire leadership team are absolutely ready to lead Ford forward, and now is the time to begin the transition,” said Bill Ford, who recruited Mulally from Boeing in 2006.

Fields, 53, was named Ford’s chief operating officer in December 2012. He has been leading all of Ford’s global business operations and most skill teams, including product development, manufacturing, purchasing, and marketing, sales and service.

Fields’ role as COO has included leading the company’s weekly Business Plan Review meeting, which Mulally established to track the progress of the One Ford plan and to monitor the global business and competitive environment. The Thursday meetings are credited with driving a reliable and transparent process for running Ford’s global operations and enabling Ford’s senior leadership to work closely together and act decisively on its plan.

Before serving as COO, Fields served as executive vice president and president – The Americas since October 2005. There, he led the transformation of Ford’s North American business – turning it from record losses several years ago to record profits in each of the last four years. Earlier, Fields guided the product-led transformation of Ford’s European operations and formerly held European luxury brands, as well as the relaunch of Ford’s independent operations in Argentina and a major restructuring and product renaissance at Mazda.

More: http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/fords-alan-mulally-retiring-mark-fields-new-ceo/
Alan Mulally

Ford-CEO-Alan-Mulally-2.jpg

Mark Fields

Mark-Fields-1.jpg

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #3

350Z

Core Team
350Z, why did they change Joginder Singh???

To my opinion an Indian head will take decisions that suits Indian market.
Joginder Singh has been promoted as Director, Corporate Strategy and is now located at Ford Headquarters, Michigan (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...ead-honchos-indian-car-makers.html#post362803).

This is how who reports to whom in context to Ford India:

Vinay Piparsania (E.D) > Nigel Harris (M.D) > David Schoch (President, Asia Pacific) > Joe Hinrichs (Group VP Asia Pacific and Africa) > Mark Fields > William C. Ford. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

I came to read the book 'American Icon - Alan Mulally and the fight to save Ford Motor Company' and reading this news has made me remember most of the things that how Alan changed the things and how the same person 'Mark Fields' was the first one in the meetings to raise his hand and mention the grievance(when others used to hide them). In fact the plan that was followed by Mullaly was same as that of Fields, I must say that Mulally has got the right successor.

Thread Starter #5

350Z

Core Team
Google has now acquired a gem of a person in their team. Alan Mulally has joined Google’s board of directors w.e.f July 9, 2014.
Former Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive Alan Mulally, who flirted with Microsoft Corp.'s top job last winter, has joined the board of another tech giant: Google Inc. Mr. Mulally, who retired as Ford's CEO on July 1, became the 11th member of Google's board on July 9 and adds a dose of independence to a group that has added just one other new member since 2005. Mr. Mulally will serve on the board's audit committee.

Mr. Mulally, also a former Boeing Co. BA -1.30% executive, brings to Google expertise in both the auto and aviation industries as the search giant expands into self-driving cars, information and entertainment systems for cars and delivering Internet access from drones and satellites. Google courted Mr. Mulally for several months, according to one person familiar with their discussions. The person said Mr. Mulally told an acquaintance in late 2012 that Microsoft and Google were the only companies he would be interested in leading after retiring from Ford.

Google CEO Larry Page became interested in getting to know Mr. Mulally after he read the book "American Icon," which chronicles the former Ford chief's efforts to turn around the struggling auto maker, according to a different person familiar with the matter. Since then, the two executives have had several conversations on leadership as Mr. Page pushes Google to remain innovative as it grows, the second person said.

"As Google's car project progresses, the company needs a mixture of their existing culture of moving quickly and disrupting things and a more incremental approach to address safety and other challenges faced in the auto industry," said Bob Denaro, a consultant in intelligent transportation systems and former executive at Nokia Corp. NOK1V.HE +0.27% and Motorola Inc. "Alan will help with that."

Source: Wall Street Journal
Drive Safe,
350Z

Hahaha even Google CEO also read the same book "American Icon" that I mentioned in my previous comment.
No doubt Alan Mulally and his management practices - both are simply exceptional and I am sure he will do something different in Google too.

BTW I recommend the book "American Icon" to Vibhor and all TAIans just to know of the epic turnaround of Ford - A must read for any automobile enthusiast(Some 800+ bucks it costs but its simply beyond paisa vassol book).

Top Bottom