Jaguar All Set To Change Vocabulary From "German Trio To European Four"

Whether diluting the brand "JLR" a good idea for sustaining the growth ?

• Yes

Votes: 10 66.7%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1
Here is an interview of Jaguar's global brand director Adrian Hallmark to Autocar.co.uk

Jaguar boss reveals brand's future | Autocar

Jaguar's Adrian Hallmark tells Autocar why his brand will not only survive, but thrive too thanks to its new model offensive.

“We don’t intend to compete head to head. The first thing I’d say is a bit of sober aspiration. We want to change the vocabulary, from ‘the German three’ to ‘the European four’. That’s point one.

“Point two is that we have a long, long way to go to be able to compete with them, but from a product perspective we will build the most advanced, the most efficient, the most refined car in that segment. Not almost as good as, but better than the best in the world.

“It won’t be the cheapest in the segment, but it won’t be the most expensive, either. But it will look and drive like a Jaguar, be filled with the highest technology that anybody has ever brought to that segment, have the most efficient engines and the most refined feel in the segment.” [clap]

This is a thread where we can discuss the "Triumph of JLR under our own TATA" and much more..!!

Jaguar Land Rover celebrates 1 millionth vehicle production

Jaguar Land Rover is celebrating the production of the 1,000,000th vehicle at the Halewood facility near Liverpool. The Jaguar X-Type (discontinued), Land Rover Freelander 2 and Range Rover Evoque come from this manufacturing facility.

Halewood plant is having 24 hour shift after the release of Evoque.. [:)]

jlr_millionth_halewood-1024x721.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #2
This is the Jaguar F-type coupé, a car that its maker calls the most dynamically capable, performance-focused production car it has ever built. It also significantly undercuts the convertible version on price in base form.

The entry-level coupé and coupé S closely mirror the performance spec of the V6 roadster range, but the range-topping F-type R coupé is heavily modified. It is powered by the 542bhp supercharged 5.0-litre V8 used in the XKR-S and XFR-S, as well as the Project 7 concept seen at Goodwood this year. The R coupé accelerates from 0-60mph in 4.0sec and has a governed top speed of 186mph. Its power-to-weight ratio is 325bhp per tonne.

Where the base F-type and F-type S do differ from the roadster, though, is on price. Each is £7285 less than the equivalent open-top F-type, which has drawn criticism for its lofty pricing. The R coupé starts at £85,000.

The car will go on sale next March, with Jaguar putting the main focus on the R coupé, which, the company says, takes best advantage of the car’s torsional rigidity of 33,000 Nm/degree — the best figure yet for a production Jaguar.

Jaguar dynamics chief Mike Cross said: “It is the best expression of Jaguar’s core values of sweet and intuitive steering and a great blend of ride and handling.”

That rigidity owes much to the innovative single-piece aluminium pressing that encompasses the coupé’s body side. This eliminates the need for multiple panels and cosmetic joints. Jaguar claims that it is “probably the most extreme cold-formed aluminium body side in the automotive industry”.

To enable a low roofline with no B-pillars, a high-strength, hydroformed aluminium beam runs over each door opening from the bottom of the A-pillar to the back of the C-pillar.

The bonded-in roof panel is available as either aluminium or as panoramic glass, and neither option alters the 
car’s rigidity.

“The body stiffness gave us more scope to dial in driving characteristics that were more linear and precise without compromising refinement,” said Cross, who is currently running an R coupé as his daily driver as part of the final evaluation programme. “Achieving that stiffness in a lightweight structure is key to what I believe to be the sweetest car in our range.”

The R coupé’s performance is marshalled by two new pieces of technology: a second-generation Electronic Active Differential (EAD) that works with ‘torque vectoring by braking’, pioneered on the 
new Range Rover Sport, to enhance handling and make 
it more exploitable on the limit in all conditions.

EAD controls the amount of driveline torque fed to each wheel, operating like a more advanced version of a limited-slip differential. Operating with the torque vectoring system, it reacts to deliver any setting, from open to full locking, in just 200 milliseconds.

Additionally, the torque vectoring system brakes inner wheels when it detects potential understeer. Jaguar says it “works at a subtle level” to finely adjust the car’s trajectory and improve handling feel and balance.

These new systems work in tandem with Jaguar’s Adaptive Dynamics System, which actively controls vertical body movement, roll and pitch rates by adjusting damper rates up to 500 times a second according to driver inputs and the attitude of the car on the road.

The R coupé’s spring rates have been increased by 4.3 per cent at the front and 3.7 per cent at the rear compared with those of the V8 S convertible. As on the convertible, drivers have the option of selecting a Dynamic mode, which firms damper rates, increases steering weighting, allows faster gearchanges and sharpens throttle response.

Neither EAD nor torque vectoring is available on the F-type and F-type S models at present, although Cross emphasised that it was technologically possible. “It’s a matter of pricing, and giving the customers at each price point what they want,” he said.

The R coupé uses Jaguar’s so-called Super Performance braking system as standard, featuring 380mm front discs and 376mm rear discs. Carbon-ceramic brakes are available as an option on the R coupé and S coupé models, offering an unsprung weight saving of 21kg, as well as performance gains.

All coupé models utilise the eight-speed Quickshift transmission also found on the F-type roadster, but the R coupé’s software has been recalibrated to suit the greater engine outputs.

Jaguar’s switchable active sports exhaust is also standard on the R coupé. The company says it takes “aural excitement to new levels”.

The styling of the coupé is almost identical to that of the Jaguar C-X16 concept first shown at the Frankfurt motor show in 2011. In order to keep that form, a rear spoiler rises automatically at 70mph, before lowering again when the speed drops below 50mph.

The interior is also familiar, although the R coupé gets add-ons such as ‘Performance’ seats, which have side bolsters that inflate under heavy cornering. Boot space, heavily criticised on the roadster, is put at up to 407 litres. Jaguar says that’s enough for two golf bags.

Q&A Mike Cross, Jaguar chief engineer, vehicle integrity

What makes the F-type coupé special?

“The body stiffness gave us a great platform on which to work and develop the car. We had experience of the platform from the roadster, but the extra stiffness opened up a new level of capability. The new technology also opened new possibilities: the electronic differential brings a new handling focus and the torque vectoring adds a new degree of sharpness.”

What will roadster drivers notice is most different?

“The handling and linearity of response are exceptional. It is more dynamic, it is more focused and it is faster and more precise. Its capacity to entertain is wider.”

Do the electronic aids detract from the driving experience?

“Quite the opposite. It has been developed to drive well regardless of the driver’s ability, and the systems are developed to be intuitive and immediate. It inspires confidence in every ability of driver. The systems are seamless and the car feels authentic in its responses.”

Can you give us a ’Ring time compared to the convertible?

“It’s not really relevant, so all I’ll say is that the coupé’s time starts with a seven. It is a fast car. But the real gain from ’Ring testing is not the lap time. I’m prouder of how it handles on a Welsh B-road than I am the ’Ring lap time.”

The R coupé sounds ripe for further developments.

“I would agree. It’s possible.”

Jaguar F-type coupe revealed | Autocar

Thread Starter #3
Tata Motors is moving towards smaller four-cylinder turbo-charged or super-charged engines, which produce power greater than a naturally aspirated two-litre engine despite being lighter.

When asked about the progress on small engines in collaboration with JLR, Leverton said, “We have been working for some time and I am glad to say there has been some progress.”

JLR wants to shift from the bigger six- and eight-cylinder engines to four-cylinder engines. Apart from fuel efficiency, pressure from environmentalists to reduce emmisions is also forcing them to make this shift.

Tata Motors-JLR explore joint products | Business Standard

Nice thread jogrover !!

Yes the move looks to be good rather than having them as antique pieces in India it is better to get onto the masses with pulling down the power and make it little affordable in the league

Nice Thread mate. Yes definitely as we move ahead, the era will come where smaller engines with higher output will conquer the world of Auto Industry.

P.S. I love F-Type from the core of my heart. I just drool even on the pics of her. [:D]

Thread Starter #6
@dharmesh
Isn't the coupe looks more beautiful than the convertible ?? [;)]

@Gurrala74
But what keeps Jag different from the Germans is its "exclusivity". Isn't it ??
But in a business point of view, no arguments there though !! Downsizing is the move forward..!! [:)]

I personally believe jaguar is 1 step above Merc / BMW / Audi. It is a class in motion and oozes exclusivity... But the JAG is owned by TATAs who have been known to goof up awesome products just because of bad marketting and horrible sales pitch (ARIA/ MANZA/ SAFARI STORME/ NANO for example).. Hope they dont goof up LANDROVER as well...

Anyways I still believe jaguar E type (eagle) is still the most gorgeous car ever made.. f type tries hard to echo the same style, but its convertible has more muscles, and the coupe profile looks like a copy of ferrari FF, again one of my favourites..

Thread Starter #8
I personally believe jaguar is 1 step above Merc / BMW / Audi. It is a class in motion and oozes exclusivity... But the JAG is owned by TATAs who have been known to goof up awesome products just because of bad marketting and horrible sales pitch (ARIA/ MANZA/ SAFARI STORME/ NANO for example).. Hope they dont goof up LANDROVER as well...

Anyways I still believe jaguar E type (eagle) is still the most gorgeous car ever made.. f type tries hard to echo the same style, but its convertible has more muscles, and the coupe profile looks like a copy of ferrari FF, again one of my favourites..
Best part is that TATA is not screwing JLR business. We have to admit that JLR has resurrected like a phoenix under TATA. [:)]

Even British PM David Cameron had mentioned it during his latest visit to India[clap]

JLR has its own management and marketing team. Only cash flow is from TATA. Infact the profit of JLR is fed back to itself. What JLR was at 2008 and what it is now is to be noted.

One can argue that Evoque and XJ was ready to be in the market at 2008. But F-Type was Tata's product [;)] Now the on coming 3 series rival, CX-17 as well.

Its TML that has given Adrian Hallmark the courage to say "changing the vocabulary" is their mission..!!

JLR has its own management and marketing team. Only cash flow is from TATA
it's better for both if they keep things this way. if TML gets too much involved, you may end up seeing a Jag / Rover with an indica face [frustration], like all the tata vehicles have (vista, manza, aria and the ones still to come)

Thread Starter #11
@*SMK*

What we need is more involvement of JLR in TML.[;)]
They treat JLR as jewels and is happy with their 'invaluable' jewels though they bought JLR for $2.8 bn[;)][:D]

Thread Starter #12
Jaguar Land Rover is the latest automaker to pair with a technology company to develop its future in-car technology.

As consumer tech and in-car tech converge, automakers are spending much more time developing in-car systems that allow greater integration between our daily connected lives and our cars. While companies like Mercedes-Benz are developing their technology in-house, others turn to existing technology companies to improve the technology we use in our cars.

The company has set up a new research and development facility in Portland, Oregon--not far from Intel Labs, allowing a collaborative relationship on research projects. The location also puts Jaguar Land Rover (JLR) within easy distance of technology hubs in Silicon Valley and Seattle, where the firm has already been collaborating with other technology partners. Several programs are already underway, to develop next generation digital vehicle prototypes for what JLR calls "in-vehicle cockpit experiences that connect car, device and cloud".

jaguar-land-rover-and-intel-technical-center-in-portland-oregon_100448284_l.jpg

Such collaborations are a vital part of keeping companies like JLR competitive in an increasingly technology-driven luxury car sector. The new 'Open Software Technology Center' in Portland will complement work already underway at JLR's main product creation facility in Gaydon, UK. Facilities at the new technological base include a multimedia creative suite, innovation spaces, development laboratory and a six-bay vehicle workshop.

No specific projects have been revealed just yet, but like their counterparts at Mercedes, seamless connectivity with handheld devices, cloud-connected technologies and information and assistance technologies will all be on the agenda. According to Elliot Garbus, Vice President and General Manager, Automotive Solutions Division, Intel Corporation, the two companies "...are exploring innovative ways to inform, entertain and assist drivers, and passengers, in a safe way".

The facility, opening in 2014, will be joined in 2016 by long-term research projects at the National Automotive Innovation Campus (NAIC) at the University of Warwick when it opens in 2016--examining vehicle electrification, 'smart & connected cars' and Human Machine Interface.

Jaguar Land Rover Pairs With Intel For Future Infotainment Tech

why am i getting a feeling that jagrover is coming head strong for TATA/JAG/ROVER in all its threads. If you are such a big fan, kudos to you man But then it looks more like you are part of an aggressive PR activity by TATA HORIZONEXT activity.Either way I do wish TML gets a change in Brand image I had always been a fan, but then others came and proved more worth and took my attention to them All the best TML

on another note, I dont acre who finances whom or who is self dependent, or what goes inside their factories. to me as an end user I see the final product, its value and the price I have to pay upfront and in the due course of owning it. And when I am not satisfied, I will speculate as others on whats WRONG with TML and its strategies and sales pitch

why am i getting a feeling that jagrover is coming head strong for TATA/JAG/ROVER in all its threads.. If you are such a big fan, kudos to you man.. But then it looks more like you are part of an aggressive PR activity by TATA HORIZONEXT activity... Either way I do wish TML gets a change in Brand image.. I had always been a fan, but then others came and proved more worth and took my attention to them... All the best TML..

on another note, I dont acre who finances whom or who is self dependent, or what goes inside their factories. to me as an end user I see the final product, its value and the price I have to pay upfront and in the due course of owning it... And when I am not satisfied, I will speculate as others on whats WRONG with TML and its strategies and sales pitch
I din't get you point here?? [roll]

Thread Starter #15
@icecool

why am i getting a feeling that jagrover is coming head strong for TATA/JAG/ROVER in all its threads.. If you are such a big fan, kudos to you man..
In a way, Yes I am..!! I'm a fan of TML not because of their products, but as an Indian I love an Indian brand which tries to uphold the "Indian" tag proudly in overseas as well, differently from other brands from this country. A fan of Ratan Tata too..!! Only after that JLR has place in my heart.

But then it looks more like you are part of an aggressive PR activity by TATA HORIZON NEXT activity...
Not at all..!! I do wish to be a part of that. Actually they are too bad in their marketing front even with the"HORIZON NEXT" program. If I'm better than that..[;)] This thread is meant to discuss JLR's activities. By the way what is HORIZON NEXT doing with JLR ?? Even TML has not used JLR image to market their cars. Here I have only said JLR is doing well under TML after the acquisition. It doesn't mean TML is doing well..!!

Either way I do wish TML gets a change in Brand image.. I had always been a fan, but then others came and proved more worth and took my attention to them... All the best TML..
Yes there is that constant drop in affinity towards TML for sure..!! But I still support them with my soul to up their business from where it is currently. Isn't supporting at tough times good ?

on another note, I dont acre who finances whom or who is self dependent, or what goes inside their factories. to me as an end user I see the final product, its value and the price I have to pay upfront and in the due course of owning it... And when I am not satisfied, I will speculate as others on whats WRONG with TML and its strategies and sales pitch
Regarding this thread, it do matter. Its TML who is funding JLR. Here we are supposed to discuss JLR products. The fact is that "turnaround" was there in case of JLR business. I'm happy with that for sure. TML has played their part for the turnaround.

Dear friend, this thread is not to support TML or its products. Also supporting JLR products is not my mission. I'm fascinated by the statement "changing vocabulary from German trio to european four". That's all mate. [:)]

Last edited:

Top Bottom