Sporty 3-series models updated

Thread Starter #1
BMW has given the 3-series Coupe´ and Convertible their mandatory facelifts including new bumpers, head and tail lights and slightly longer overhangs to reinforce their presence on the road.

Coupe´ and Convertible get tweaked looks and new entry-level engines for lower prices.

Along with the cosmetic mid-life updates, the two two-door models get more powerful yet more efficient petrol and diesel engines.

Of most relevance to the Thai market is the new entry-level version in the guise of 318i that's already used in the Saloon. The 320i's 2.0-litre has been detuned to 143hp to effectively make the Coupe´ and Convertible more affordable than ever.

No word on pricing yet, but it is hoped the 318i Coupe´ would come to Thai shores at slightly over B3.5m. The 320i Coupe is currently imported at B3.999m _ B9,000 more than the Audi A5 2.0.

A bigger disparity can occur in the Convertible range since BMW (Thailand) only offers it in 325i form at B5.29m. The 318i treatment could make the folding hard-top 3-series an even more attractive proposition in the B4m level for buyers preferring style over performance.

Mini’s 1.6- litre turbo engine now has 184hp.

On the diesel front, the 320d's 2.0-litre motor has been upped to 184hp from 177 and is applied on all Threes regardless of body style. This enhancement is also seen in the just-announced new 5-series.

On top of the 3-series range is a 306hp 3.0-litre twin-turbo inline-six with unchanged power but improved emissions, although local sales don't focus on the 335i due to the tax structure penalising high-output engines in the country. The 135i Coupe and Convertible also get the same treatment.

- Mini's engine range will be revamped this year to reflect the same philosophy of BMW's tweaked motor line: more performance yet with more efficiency.

With the use of fully variable valve control, the Cooper S's turbo 1.6-litre engine _ also used by Peugeot and Citroen _ now gives out 9hp more at 184, while the Cooper's non-turbo 1.6-litre gains 2hp at 122. The One's motor has also been boosted from 1.4 to 1.6 litres to enjoy a power hike of 3hp at 98hp.

Like the updated 3-series, Mini's new engine range would be launched in Europe in March with Thai sales to follow shortly later and fitted to the Hatch, Clubman and Convertible versions.

This is great news! Would love to know how much this has affected the pricing! CAn somebody tell the amount in rupees??[:D]

Top Bottom