New Hyundai i20 Based Sedan (HB20S) Launched in Brazil. India Next?

Thread Starter #1
According to 'Zigwheels' Hyundai is looking to launch an i20 based sedan by end of 2013.It may or may not be under 4 meters in length and will sit beneath the uber popular Verna in terms of market positioning.Excerpt from the report:

With flagging Accent sales and no fluidic design car in the entry level sedan segment,Hyundai is expected to launch a new sedan based on the i20 hatchback by the end of 2013.

Featuring the frame and design of its smaller twin, it will be available in both petrol and diesel variants. An i20 with an integrated boot, it will probably be a sub 4-metre car packed with features, expected to replace the Accent.
Link:Hyundai i20 based sedan launching end of 2013| ZigWheels.com

Thread Starter #2
Re: Scoop: New i20 Based Sedan from Hyundai

What the heck,no comments on this thread from anyone.It seems that no one is excited about this "game-changing" (to be)Hyundai car.[cry]

I think no body is concerned much about what maruti and hyundai does. All people here are excited about underdogs do to catch up the giants.

AMG

Suspended

I am actually confused as to where this will sit?
Top of the line i20 costs about 8ish, and the top of the line verna is 11ish.

This is on expected lines but 2013 end will be a little late according to me for reasons below:

Beware of the HONDA-AMAZE (IMO this car is set to change the fortunes of Honda in India) - Hyundai has to expedite its lauch or i fear all start-up sedans category volumes will be mopped up by the DZIRE, AMAZE, etc

Its the Mini-SUV rage in India which means anybody who has a budget of 7-10 lacs or more will definitely think about cross-shopping with the Mini SUVs (Quanto, Duster, Ecosport, Nissan Duster, etc) - so Hyundai sedan at the end of 2013 might be placed in a category which itself will have not so much volumes and the major pie will be anyway occupied by Dzire, Amaze, Manza, Verito, Etios, verito cs, etc)

So will the driver and front passenger continue to feel like midgets, unless they are 6'-6" or something?

I dont think hyundai would think to do this, as firstly where would they place this new sedan on i20 platform, which price bracket? and then it would affect their two most selling premium vehicles as well either i20 or verna.

Hyundai i20 Sedan HB20S Launched in Brazil; India Launch On Cards

Hyundai Motor Brazil has launched the i20's sedan version codenamed as Hyundai HB20S in the fast growing Brazilian Market. The newly launched HB20S is the sedan version of the company's i20 hatchback , which will also share the platform with the company's upcoming compact crossover HB20X. The same car is also expected to hit the Indian auto market as per the company's global strategy. Hyundai has recently revealed that they are going to launch a new hatchback positioned between i10 and i20, a compact sedan, compact SUV and MPV in India.

The Hyundai HB20S (i20 sedan) in South American countries will compete against the sedan versions of already established Volkswagen Golf and Chevrolet Onix. The sedan has an overall dimensions of 4.2 m x 1.7m x 1.5m. The wheelbase of the newly launched sedan is similar to the company's flagship hatchback, which is 2,500mm. Hyundai HB20S has a luggage carrying capacity of 450 litres, which is around 150L more than the hatchback.

Hyundai's HB20S sedan is offered in two engine options – 1.0 L three-cylinder 80bhp engine and a 1.6 L four-cylinder engine that produces 128bhp. The sedan is offered with two transmission options – a five speed manual and a four-speed automatic.

Hyundai i20 sedan HB20S Launched in Brazil; India Launch On Cards | CarDekho.com

Attachments

Re: Hyundai i20 sedan HB20S Launched in Brazil; India Launch On Cards

Another fluidic sedan from Hyundai. In my opinion, it looks similar to Verna or like a mini Elantra.

Where will Hyundai India position this is the question. There is a very thin margin between i20 and Verna at present.

Hyundai i20-based sedan sedan HB20S likely to come to India soon

Hyundai i20-based sedan HB20S likely to come to India soon

Hyundai appears to have woken up to the lucrativeness of the compact sedan market in India, but it just doesn’t have a car that measures up to under 4 metre in length. So then it has to consider the next best thing, another sedan that can slot in under the Hyundai Verna and just above the Hyundai i20 hatchback.

Hyundai-HB20S-i20-sedan-front.jpg

That’s just what it might do considering the Hyundai HB20S (the sedan version of the HB20 hatchback sold in Brazil) recently rolled out in Brazil. This car shares a lot of its underpinnings with the Hyundai i20 and is essentially an i20 with a boot. The styling is all too familiar, keeping the Hyundai fluidic design theme going. The front looks somewhere in between an i20 and a Hyundai Verna and very soon it’s going to be really difficult to make one car out from the other in passing within the Hyundai family.

Hyundai-HB20S-i20-sedan.jpg

Hyundai won’t really be able to avail of excise benefits that come with cars under 4-metres in length (these cars pay only 12% excise duty, against 24% for cars that exceed this length). So it would be tough to price the car extremely competitively against the likes of the Maruti Dzire and the upcoming Honda Amaze. However, Hyundai is likely to do what it does best – load the car up with enough features to make the neighbours jealous.

The car is more likely to be about the same size as a Chevrolet Sail, but will have an advantage in boot space – which apparently is in the region of 450 litres, enough for one extra suitcase over what a Honda Amaze can handle.
Engine choices are likely to be a 1.4 litre diesel with a six-speed manual transmission – the same diesel engine that is in the Hyundai i20, which puts out 89 bhp of power and a 1.2 litre petrol putting out 84 bhp of power.
This would help the car effectively compete in the entry sedan segment against the Toyota Etios, Chevrolet Sail, Honda Amaze and Maruti Dzire. Prices will overlap with the top-end Hyundai i20 variants and the base variants of the Hyundai Verna in the region of Rs. 5.5 lakh to Rs. 8.5 lakh if and when launched. And going by Hyundai’s track record in India, it is likely to launch a number of variants that will crowd out the competition

The car may be launched in India by the end of this year, just after Hyundai’s new hatchback in the festive season.

Source: Hyundai i20-based sedan HB20S likely to come to India soon | Cartoq - Honest Car Advice

Old Verna is already in declining mood, New fluidic Verna caught up well but priced high and have lot of complaints. New elentra is not very promising by sales, so what about this I20 sedan as there is already a feeling that I20 is priced high like new Swift. So the real key is its pricing if priced like Swift new Dzire then it will shine in that segment then I do not see that where it will click. YES people who want to buy a I20 may opt this.

If at all Hyundai launches it here,how would they price it?They will have to live the fact that this may cannibalize sales of i20 and Verna both.But then if Maruti can stuff models in every 50000Rs bracket,why not Hyundai?

Top Bottom