Fast Diesels: The Oil Burner Supercars

Thread Starter #1
Since my Super car series article was a flop[lol], I decided to introduce what our audience needs. What is petrol? A pure and refined form of petroleum. What is diesel? A less refined and cheaper form of petroleum. So obviously petrol has a performance advantage. What are diesels meant for? To do more kilometers at lesser stops at the pump. But these cars will prove you wrong. They are torque monsters, turbo hooligans and insanely fast. These are the cars you should consider if you won a lottery and you want to spend all of it on a new car. So which are the fastest and still efficient cars? My top three list.

1. BMW M5 50d X drive.

M5 tdi.jpg

BMW's performance brand, M is the mother of one of the fastest cars around. Their recipe for perfection is usually take a stock sedan or coupe by BMW and add a fire breathing petrol V8,V10 or fit as many turbos as you can. And yeah add a stiff suspension and a couple of super computers.
But now they have chose to do their bit for environment. So here is my favorite diesel, the BMW M5 50d Xdrive.

m5 tdi back.jpg

So whats under the hood?(Technical)

Its a Triple turbo,3 liter straight six. And a diesel obviously. It produces 380 horses and 660 NM of torque. Thats almost 400 HP from an oil burner! The petrol M5 is powered by a twin turbo V8. It produces 555 horses. So the diesel must be much slower right? No. It does 0-100 KMH in 4.7 seconds. Yeah you read right and thats no typing error. Thats 0.2 seconds slow compared to petrol. Of course it has a slower top speed at a slow 285+ KMH but who actually manages that in real? Plus the torque. 660 NM is enough to pull a hill.

And it is mated to a super quick 8 speed semi-automatic Dual clutch gearbox. Shifts gears quicker than you can blink! And its four wheel drive so everything remains in control when exploring that torque. And yeah also some super computers so it uses its power efficiently. And if driven efficiently it can return you 10-8 KMPL. Thats what my car gives. Also it doesn't pollute that much. Perfection? Yeah sort of.

The numbers

2993cc, 6cyl, 4WD, 376bhp, 660 Nm @ 2000 RMP, 44.7mpg, 165g/km CO2, 0-100 in 4.7secs, 155mph, 1970kg(THATS HEAVY).

m5 engine.jpg

So it will keep up with the V8 petrol M5 on almost any road. And it is cheaper by 15000 pounds( 13 lacs). Plus it handles even better(grip).

Glorious M badge!

m5 tdi logo.jpg

Ooooh you dont want to get out now!

m5 tdi interior.jpg

5000 red line for an M car is first time.

m5 tdi speedo.jpg

Here are the Beemers pics

m5 tdi white.jpg

m5 tdi back close.jpg

m5 tdi door stille.jpg

m5 tdi front.jpg

Thread Starter #2
2. Audi Q7 V12 TDI-

v12 tdi logo.jpg

Yes its a V12 diesel. Its just not any other diesel but a 6.0L, Twin Turbo Diesel. The engine took its inspirations from the R10 TDI race car. The R10 is a legend in Automotive Racing(Le Mans) so obviously the V12 had to be powerful and as legendary. And it is.

V12 tdi badge.jpg

Technical-

This monster(literally) is huge when it comes to basically everything. I think all of us have seen a Q7 many times on road. Its HUGE,bold and manly. To some its also ugly but personally I love the way it looks. Now that size has added a lot of weight, 2.6 tons in fact. To cope with all that weight, Audi added a v8 4.2 TDI. It was fast and refined but not enough for Audi. So they developed an engineering marvel,a 6 liter twin turbo V12 diesel. And they made sure its got the horses, 500 of them. And some torque, just in case you want to pull your bungalow. And to make it 'road legal' with that power, they have added carbon ceramic brakes and a very sporty suspension making it run turn through corners and not crash. So the v12 improves the V8s time at 5 Seconds to 100 Kph. And the top speed is limited to 250 Kph. But crack it and you should hit 280+ with ease. Its not as quick as the M5 50d but is very close.[clap] And the BMW is quite an efficient car but this returns 6-4 KMPL which makes it quite thirsty. And at 1.3 crore, its not cheap either. One can buy a V8 Q7 and a Porsche 911 TurboS or even a Nissan GTR+ BMW 320d.

v12 tdi front.jpg

Price: £154K(1.3 crore for the exclusive); Top speed: 155mph; 0-62mph: 5.5 seconds; Economy: 7 KMPl; CO2: 298g/km; Kerbweight: 2635kg; Engine type, cc: Twelve-cylinder turbodiesel, 5934cc; Power: 493bhp; Torque: 737lb ft or 1000Nm.; Gearbox: Six-speed tiptronic.

v12 tdi side.jpg

So its the most pointless car on sale, doesn't look like its for 1.3 crore and is also quite expensive to run. Sure its got the V12 badges,20 inch wheels but it still looks quite stock and nothing different from the V8. And then you have the other faster,better and cheaper SUVs or jacked up Estates - X5M,Mercs ML 55 AMG and the porches Cayne TurboS. So whats unique? The whole diesel thing, the torque, the size and the appeal. Its the first diesel car you buy with your heart and not brain.It cant go offroad, not the fastest car for the money and not economical either. Its in every way a petrol car but runs on diesel. And that's exceptional engineering.

v12 int.jpg

Nice interior but nothing different from the V8.

v12 tdi brakes.jpg

Carbon ceramic brakes in a diesel. Funny.

v12 back.jpg

Thread Starter #3
3. Volkswagen Toureg V10 TDI.
Another mammoth from the VW group but this time its not for Audi but for its very own full size flop SUV, the Touareg. Even though its a V10 engine, its still not the most powerful engine in the Touareg. The never quitting VW also offered the huge and under powered for its size, the W12 from the Audi A8(The one in transporter). The Touareg was introduced in 2002 to show the capabilities of the budget car brand, Volkswagen. It was quite a capable SUV and to boost its capabilities, Volkswagen developed their biggest diesel ever, the V10.

Thread Starter #4
volkswagen-touareg plane.jpg Thats the torque of it.
This V10 is the last VW diesel designed with the "pumpe-duse" injection system. The pumpe-duse, or pump nozzle system, uses an individual high pressure fuel pump for each cylinder directly connected to the fuel injector. This same system is now being replaced in new Volkswagen-Audi diesel engines with common rail systems that can control fuel flow more precisely. A single camshaft sits in each cylinder head actuating just one intake and one exhaust valve per cylinder. All that hardware provides no shortage of grunt as the V10 generates 310 hp and 553 lb-ft of torque, which is handy considering the Touareg has to drag around 2.5 Tons before even loading up.
v10 front.jpg
But frankly,the V10 was a failure. It was using the old school Pump Duse technology, so it was not able to perform to its full capability. Not only the V10 was quite polluting,but also because the 4.4L V8 TDI engine was smaller,more powerful and cheaper. But the car it was used in was the Audi Q7 and now in the Porsche Cayenne Diesel S. Both of these cars are quite useless offroad. But the Touareg was a capable SUV off the road. In fact the V10 TDI powered Touareg won the most demanding rally,The Dakar Rally.
v10 engine.jpg
Technical Specs-
4.9L V10,Variable Geometry Turbo,Diesel.
Output- 300Horses,580Nm of torque.
Performance- 0-100Kmh in 7.5 Seconds with a Limited Top Speed of 250Km/h

Performance is the place where this V10 is disappointing. Its not under powered or slow but just that you have smaller engines who perform better. And a 7 second time to hit 100 is a lot slower than a V8 TDi Q7. But SUVs are not meant to be quick are they? Neither are diesels but its a fantastic piece of engendering like the other cars here. The engine was in production for a short while and was replaced with a V6TDi.
v10 back.jpg
Looks very much like the stock.
v10  interior.jpg
A very nice interior I must say.

Great thread TFF, actually I have heard of only one of them before, that is Q7 V12 TDI and what I have read and heard is that the V12 is so brutal that it makes even the 2.5 tonne Q7 feel like an over-engined supercar.

Thread Starter #7
Great thread TFF, actually I have heard of only one of them before, that is Q7 V12 TDI and what I have read and heard is that the V12 is so brutal that it makes even the 2.5 tonne Q7 feel like an over-engined supercar.
Seriously these cars are understated. I searched for the fastest diesel cars but could not find anything. So made a list[:)].

It might sound odd with the specs of the above mentioned cars, but the BMW530D is one hell of a machine, i had driven one which belongs to my friend from Chennai to bangalore and boy o boy [clap] have i enjoyed any other drive like that a big NO, the torque monster - the BMW 5 series

Some normal sedan which can atleast keep up with it is a pete'd Chevy cruze

Thread Starter #11
It might sound odd with the specs of the above mentioned cars, but the BMW530D is one hell of a machine, i had driven one which belongs to my friend from Chennai to bangalore and boy o boy [clap] have i enjoyed any other drive like that a big NO, the torque monster - the BMW 5 series

Some normal sedan which can atleast keep up with it is a pete'd Chevy cruze
I agree with you. The m550d has so much of grip and torque that it is almost as fast as the V8 M5 gasoline. Bmw has got amazing diesels[clap]

Top Bottom