Help me select a Handy Video Camera

Thread Starter #1
My parents are going on a trip to Singapore and Malaysia. As we never had a video camera before, they'll be buying a Handy Camera. But i've no idea about the types, features and brands of handy cameras available.

Earlier cameras had some sort of tapes to record. But now i've seen in ads that they use DVD and hard disk to store videos. I feel Hard disk is the best bet and will cost less. I've also heard about Camcorders to shoot videos.

So which is good, handy camera or camcorder? Also suggest me a brand. Thanks in advance.

Nikon-the best

My parents are going on a trip to Singapore and Malaysia. As we never had a video camera before, they'll be buying a Handy Camera. But i've no idea about the types, features and brands of handy cameras available.

Earlier cameras had some sort of tapes to record. But now i've seen in ads that they use DVD and hard disk to store videos. I feel Hard disk is the best bet and will cost less. I've also heard about Camcorders to shoot videos.

So which is good, handy camera or camcorder? Also suggest me a brand. Thanks in advance.
Dear Crazy Cat,

I myself was in the same position as you are now around 4 years back.I was searching for a good camcorder or a camera with all best features available in the market at that time.For camcorders I got options like sony,JVC.There was dvd camcorders also from these brands, but I didnt like the quality of the pics,compactness and handyness of them.Then one of my tech savvy friend told me that these camcorders may be good at capturing motion pics but they are not so effective at still pics and the quality of these cams are not up to the mark.He suggested me to check for digicams with video options and I landed with options like Nikon,Olympus,Casio,Sony,Kodak etc.I checked out all of them and found Nikon coolpix the best as per picture quality,handy and compactness, it is so slim that it will easily slip into your jeans pocket,It had both optical and digital zoom, I forgot the exact figure..It stores videos and photos on memory card,it has tv-out,in-built speaker,voice recorder,good service network not only in India but all over the world.

I got free waist pouch and a 2GB card also and paid 18k for 10MP Nikon cam.I am still using it.I didnt faced any problem till now.I bought it from Hyderabad TMC outlet.Nikon is the best brand in cameras all over the world, now more advanced and sophisticated cams are available from Nikon and that also at a cheaper price than mine.The next option you have after Nikon is Casio,the model name is Exilim,its good but not as Nikon.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
I already have Canon SX10IS for taking still photographs. It takes video too, but it is limited. So now this new camera/ camcorder will be used just for taking videos.

Arun

Suspended
Crazy_cat, when are your parents leaving? I mean if they are leaving late, you'll have some discounts during Christmas. For now any Sony handycam would serve just fine. They're easy to use. The only down-side would be cost...

350Z

Core Team
You should opt for a camcorder and that too the Sony Handy cam, I'm using one since last 3-4 Years and is still performing the Job well, You've too many settings to fiddle with. Also, As Arun suggested, By this Month End you could fetch some attractive discounts but as Your Parents are leaving Tomorrow, You should'nt look for discounts as priority. Have a look at Sony's Official Site for Details.

PS: Don't forget to ask for a Bag, I got one free. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks AHI and 350Z.

What is a HD camera?
anytime dude

HD stands for High Definition, High-definition video or HD video refers to any video system that involves display resolutions of 1280×720 pixels (720p) or 1920×1080 pixels (1080p).The clarity is very high.Now-a-days HD LCD monitors,TVs and Camcorders are coming up whose clarity are superb.

Top Bottom