Calling People for Flight Simulation

Thread Starter #1
Even before I start explaining what this is about, A one line disclaimer-"Not for those who like action games only and this is a long but informative post"

The game is microsoft flight simulator. High level picture on what this game is all about.

1. For people who have interest in becoming a pilot, but cannot not afford it to become one.
2. Real life airplane models in simulation, every switch and knob of the real aircraft is there (only the payware model) the free models will have the look and feel but they will be only for rookies who just want to start the engines and start flying.
3. All the major indian airports are modeled into an outstadning scenery, the delhi airport (T3) terminal is also there plus ofcourse the entire world airports are there as well along with closest details.
4. Online multiplayer game, this will allow us to be parked on an airport with our friend whose model plane you can see right next to yourself. And moreover, if there is a player who is acting as an atc(air traffic controller) you will have to contact him as the real pilots do before you can start flying and this will be on all voice + text(whichever means you like) just like real world.
5. There are many more points but that was just a jist of the many thousands of features.

Then why do i say not for action game lovers?
Suppose you start flying on a Pune-Delhi route, as most of you would know that the actual flying time is around 1hrs 50 mins, once you are on the runway and in the air following your route(that is also real time what the actual pilots fly) you have nothing much to do as you will be flying your plane on autopilot for the time till you start descending to delhi roughly in real time it starts 160miles before touching down at delhi from a height of 35000ft. So this is boring sometimes as you need to watch the airplane instruments only and that is why people with no patience don't play this game.

Then why do i play this when there is nothing much to do?

I play the game always online when i am flying and then there are people who are atc, when a real personal on the other end who is giving you directions over voice, adrenaline starts flowing as you need to be listening to it carefully to what instructions he is giving and then read it back out for confirmation and then act upon those instructions, which keeps you busy always.

Why am I telling this to you?

The flight simulation community is like 1-2 lac members world wide which is .0000..'s% of the world population most of them are from europe and usa. You will be surprised that there are many people from india as well but you know us indians, the only kick they get from a game is a game of "dhishum dhishum" i too was that kind earlier in my college days, but changed now.

Benefits?
Loads of stuff to know and when you are sitting in an actual aircraft you will know once you board the plane that what pilots must be doing right now, you will start educating people that why does it takes so long from a gate to the runway before we are airborne and stuff like that.

You will also know that in realworld what names and codes are given to the airports and aircrafts for e.g. a british airways flight BA121 is called on the atc as "Speedbird 121" another example the indogo flight 6E121 is actually flight number IFLY 121, you will get to know why are the runways are designated with numbers and not the names and etc.

Why am I calling?
Mods, in 1st place if i am not allowed to promote this, please close/delete this thread. I am not giving any website reference here all will be provided with a PM to me.If its alright to post in public i will do it here and give you links to what am i talking about.

The main reason is we only see people from Europe,UK and USA on the map who fly and act as ATC, there are very few indian pilots(sim pilot :P) who are actually online so people connected as ATC do not come to india because there is no traffic, all i want is those who are interested can get training from me before they start and register free on a website to start playing on multiplayer session and make india proud, give them a message and welcome them to india to start participating as atc and we sure will give you traffic!.

Please feel free to ask any questions as i might not have been exhaustive enough and people might be still confused that what am i talking about.

Hey fusion. Nice post you started.
I used to play The flight sim a lot . I dont think, after flight simulator X and couple of expansion packs , any new version has come out lately.

Thread Starter #3
Hey aviral, nice to see a quick reply bro. yes the flight sim x is the latest from m'soft and another new version is underway. I personally am on FS2004, but the idea behind this is not about the versions, but the reality hidden behind a smulation. If you have never played online then start doing it. I was playing FS2004 since 2003 and stopped playing it after an year. Then this was untill last year i heard about online flying and when i acutally got into online flying my jaws were dropped and was appaled to see so much realism into just a game. If i am allowed i can post link here till then just google "vatsim".

For your and everone else who can understand this, i fly Airbus A330, Boeing 737 and Boeing 767 with every switch working and has real life checklists before i can takeoff.

I started playing flight sim 2000. I was a kid and my dad gave it to me on my birthday. It also came with 300 page tutorial manual and loads of other stuff.
I never knew about the online thing. I'll start doing it soon.
Thanks.:)

Thread Starter #5
That's nice to know, now you try simming online and get real :) do post your queries and I will be
More than happy to help :)

Thread Starter #6
Well I missed by a few minutes for editing my post, but here's another one, if you are still confused, just throw in your queries, why I am stressing more on this is to make india visible on every possible channel, as I am already a part of a respectable gaming community I hereby call every indian to be a part of it and set an example. Let each of us make know to the world that we have the potential and we can do it too.

Basic gear what you need
1 microsoft flight simulator 2004 (200 rs or may be cheaper than this)
2 computer joystick with throttle control (600 rs)

As you all might have noticed my location is VAPO that is the airport code in realworld for Pune

Last edited:
Thread Starter #7
Common guys, its not that bad as you think :), while they say "Drive it to believe it" i say "Fly it to believe it" :) its a real good and addictive hobby just have a look at this page and see for yourself that there are indeed many people who fly daily including me!
TOP PILOTS

By the way airindia virtual is a private community where you log your flying hours.

350Z

Core Team
Great topic. You have recalled me of one of the best aviation games ever. I have Combat Flight Simulator 2 from a few years now but I wonder how I skipped such a nice game for so long. Let me load it straight away.
Mods, in 1st place if i am not allowed to promote this, please close/delete this thread.
No issues. Please feel free to post.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thread Starter #9
Great topic. You have recalled me of one of the best aviation games ever. I have Combat Flight Simulator 2 from a few years now but I wonder how I skipped such a nice game for so long. Let me load it straight away.

No issues. Please feel free to post.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Thanks 350Z and yes you need to load fs2004 as combat flight simulator is only for military flying, the one i am talking about is for the civil aviation which includes larger jets and small general aviation aircrafts.

When you install microsoft flight simulator 2004, there is a tutorial on how to get started, its very easy to follow and by practicing 4-5 times you will be remembering eveything. There is a tutorial on every phase of the flight i.e. how to pushback/taxi/takeoff/land. By doing atleast 5-6 hrs of offline flying you can then easily transition to online flying.

For others who know how to fly but don't know the online aspect of flying, you can read through the contents of this website
VATSIM - The International Online Flying Network: Pilot Resource Center (PRC)

Thread Starter #10
I will start flying in 2-3 hours from now. Anyone interested to get training may reply and I would be more than happy to assist.

hey bro i am so happy to find some one who plays fs!!
I started with fs98
Nd then when i got a new pc i tried fsx and fell in love with it :)
But i have not played since then.
Actually i did not understand how to take a turn and land!!
So had to give up but now as you reminded me of this i will start playing again.
Btw does the joy stick really help or can i manage with my keyboard aswell?

Thread Starter #13
Nice to see another flight sim enthusiast!! :)..joystick will give you real life experience but with keyboard it isn't that bad, lots of my online flight sim friends play with keyboard.

At any point of time you need some training we can be together on skype/gtalk and i can walk you through, just ping me. Provided you do that on a saturday/sunday or on weekday after 10 PM :)

Last edited:
Then why do i say not for action game lovers?
Suppose you start flying on a Pune-Delhi route, as most of you would know that the actual flying time is around 1hrs 50 mins, once you are on the runway and in the air following your route(that is also real time what the actual pilots fly) you have nothing much to do as you will be flying your plane on autopilot for the time till you start descending to delhi roughly in real time it starts 160miles before touching down at delhi from a height of 35000ft. So this is boring sometimes as you need to watch the airplane instruments only and that is why people with no patience don't play this game.

Then why do i play this when there is nothing much to do?

I play the game always online when i am flying and then there are people who are atc, when a real personal on the other end who is giving you directions over voice, adrenaline starts flowing as you need to be listening to it carefully to what instructions he is giving and then read it back out for confirmation and then act upon those instructions, which keeps you busy always.
Hmmm just imagine you do all the check list & get the flight up to cruising altitude & set the auto pilot then all of a sudden a air hostess pops up & says " Hey Captain looks like you have a long flight wanna chat? If yes i accept Visa,MasterCard & PayPal also!" [lol] Would not be surprised if its already there & someone is making tons of money [:)]

Anyways fusion_defusion what net speed are you using & what would be the recommended basic net speed & what would happen if your flying midway(online) & your net connection is cut or your comp should crash or suffer a powercut ??

Thread Starter #15
Hmmm just imagine you do all the check list & get the flight up to cruising altitude & set the auto pilot then all of a sudden a air hostess pops up & says " Hey Captain looks like you have a long flight wanna chat? If yes i accept Visa,MasterCard & PayPal also!" [lol] Would not be surprised if its already there & someone is making tons of money [:)]
I seriously like that idea :) that's one enough and a good reason to be a commercial pilot ;)

Anyways fusion_defusion what net speed are you using & what would be the recommended basic net speed & what would happen if your flying midway(online) & your net connection is cut or your comp should crash or suffer a powercut ??
The minimum net speed required is a 64kbps internet connection. Recommended is anything above 128kbps, because people may like to minimize the game intermittently and surf internet on long hauls while the game is still running in the background.

If you loose internet connection in between, wait for it to be up and connect again to the game if on cruise or approach. I recommend not to connect if you are on final approach to the rwy, because you might bump into another aircraft and atc is unaware of your conditions :) while that is a serious code of conduct violation on the vatsim network and your id could be disabled.

If your machine crashes, then you need to redo from step 1. You can also save your flight in between with the basic aircrafts, not with the real life aircrafts which needs 10's of checklists to be performed before going airborne.

Top Bottom