Which Point and Shoot Camera

Thread Starter #1
Whenever ever a member purchase a Car or go on a tour or see something interesting, we ask for pictures.

So I thought its appropriate we discuss about cameras. Only Point and Shoot are included here to make the discussion simple (uncomplicate) and also because of the fact that P&S are the most handy in the situations where we demand pictures.

Please don't discuss SLR here (we all know P&S are crap before SLRs)

Thread Starter #2
Whenever ever a member purchase a Car or go on a tour or see something interesting, we ask for pictures.

So I thought its appropriate we discuss about cameras. Only Point and Shoot are included here to make the discussion simple (uncomplicate) and also because of the fact that P&S are the most handy in the situations where we demand pictures.

Please don't discuss SLR here (we all know P&S are crap before SLRs)
What I meant was which brand of P&S camera is good.

Also whether we should go for higher zoom (7x, 10x or more) because most of the P&S are coming with 5x or less zoom.

Having a higher zoom camera is surely an advantage. These days for @ 15k, you will get good zoom cameras (10X to 20X). Recently I purchased Canon SX40 IS with 35X optical zoom and am really enjoying the mega zoom feature [clap]

Modern day P&S cameras give superior picture quality if shot with proper settings. One should appropriately change the shooting mode as per the requirement. Advantage of having a P&S camera is anyone in your family or friends can use it without much of an fuss unlike SLRs

AMG

Suspended
High zoom cameras have an advantage, as it is upto you how much zoom to use.

@autosafari

I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ7 - 25 mm wide and 12 x zoom and 10 MP. It also records HD videos in AVCHD lite format which reduces file size. Got a 'made in Japan' piece for 15000 Rs. You can see the results of this camera in my threads in the voyage junction.

I have recently bought a DSLR, still I will be carrying this with me always.

Personally feel that we should use tripod for high zoom cameras.

Have bought a Nikon P500 and its like the best thing u can get just before the DSLR's. 36x optical with a range of manual adjustments, ranging from shutter speed to aperture. At 22k, its a steal.
Lets c when i can put it to good use...

I would suggest investing in a better Mobile phone with a good camera is most wise thing.

Presently we have great cam phones in the market and it will relieve you of carrying addition baggage of standalone camera.

I am using C6-00 Nokia mobile phone which has got 8mp camera. Nice images I must say with 720p hd video recording.

Thread Starter #11
Having a higher zoom camera is surely an advantage. These days for @ 15k, you will get good zoom cameras (10X to 20X). Recently I purchased Canon SX40 IS with 35X optical zoom and am really enjoying the mega zoom feature [clap]

Modern day P&S cameras give superior picture quality if shot with proper settings. One should appropriately change the shooting mode as per the requirement. Advantage of having a P&S camera is anyone in your family or friends can use it without much of an fuss unlike SLRs
High zoom cameras have an advantage, as it is upto you how much zoom to use.
In P&S when zoom is more than 5x, then the camera looses the compact (pocket size) advantage.

What I wanted to know is if the P&S is having a high M Pix (14 or 16), whether 5x zoom is enough for taking pics in good clarity. (Eg. Pics of cars nearby, party or personal photos and scenery pics during road trips.

@autosafari

I have a Panasonic DMC-TZ7 - 25 mm wide and 12 x zoom and 10 MP. It also records HD videos in AVCHD lite format which reduces file size. Got a 'made in Japan' piece for 15000 Rs. You can see the results of this camera in my threads in the voyage junction.

I have recently bought a DSLR, still I will be carrying this with me always.

Personally feel that we should use tripod for high zoom cameras.
Pics posted by Highway Ranger were excellent. Can you please confirm the optical zoom capability in your P&S camera

Have bought a Nikon P500 and its like the best thing u can get just before the DSLR's. 36x optical with a range of manual adjustments, ranging from shutter speed to aperture. At 22k, its a steal.
I have seen that in flipkart. Only issue is the size and shape of the camera.

I would suggest investing in a better Mobile phone with a good camera is most wise thing.

Presently we have great cam phones in the market and it will relieve you of carrying addition baggage of standalone camera.

I am using C6-00 Nokia mobile phone which has got 8mp camera. Nice images I must say with 720p hd video recording.
sample images from a Rs.12000 Mobile phone cam...which I shot while Answift was launched..cheers
Thats seems to be a good thinking.

Those pictures are sharp and clean.

I saw pictures from a Nokia mobile with my collegue also. It seems Nokia phones have the best cameras in them compared to other mobiles.

Last edited:
So I thought its appropriate we discuss about cameras. Only Point and Shoot are included here to make the discussion simple (uncomplicate) and also because of the fact that P&S are the most handy in the situations where we demand pictures. Please don't discuss SLR here (we all know P&S are crap before SLRs)
Having a higher zoom camera is surely an advantage. These days for @ 15k, you will get good zoom cameras (10X to 20X).
One of the biggest advantages of the P&S over the DSLR is the carry anywhere ability. The wise thing to do is to buy a cheap (around 5K) P&S or a mobile with a good camera. This is more than sufficient. If your interest in photography increases you can upgrade to a Prosumer (like Nikon P500 or similar options from Canon, Olympus and Sony) or go all the way any buy an entry level DSLR. This is when you will be happy not having spent much on a P&S. In the end even if you have a DSLR, you will always need a P&S or mobile camera.

In P&S when zoom is more than 5x, then the camera looses the compact (pocket size) advantage.

What I wanted to know is if the P&S is having a high M Pix (14 or 16), whether 5x zoom is enough for taking pics in good clarity. (Eg. Pics of cars nearby, party or personal photos and scenery pics during road trips.

In the end even if you have a DSLR, you will always need a P&S or mobile camera.
@autosafari, In any camera not only the Megapixel play a role in quality of pics but also the superiority of lenses used. For eg, few cameras with 12 MP gives better pics than a 14/15 MP camera. Earlier I was using a 5X Zoom compact sleek camera which did serve the purpose well. But I was handicapped while shooting long distance object, low light shots or wide angle landscapes. So decided to upgrade to better P&S (I am not a professional photographer and was not ready to spend additional bucks on lenses. Hence did not go for DSLR) So at the end, it all depends on individual needs.

@P3T3R, Well said. Even I do agree with your theory. A good P&S or a good mobile cam will always come in handy even if a person has a DSLR

@autosafari

It has a optical zoom of 12x and it is 10 megapixel. It is also quite sleek. you can put it in your shirt or jeans pocket. I have a soft pouch which does not make it bulky and easy to carry.

It also has a 3" LCD display.

Attachments

Thread Starter #15
Shortlisted the following.

1. Sony Cybershot DSC-WX7

16.2 Megapixel; 5x Optical zoom; Carl Ziess lens; 2.8 inch LCD
capable of taking 3D pictures and has 3D Sweep Panorama
Full HD videos at resolution of 1920 x 1080 - 60fps
Dimensions: 92.2 W x 51.9 H x 19.1 D mm (Weight - 120 g with accessories)
Rs 11700

2. Nokia E6 (mobile phone)

2.46 inch touchscreen phone with QWERTY keypad and Symbian Anna OS
8 Megapixel primary camera and 0.3 Megapixel secondary camera.
No optical zoom
HD videos at resolution of 1280 x 720 - 25 fps
Dimensions: 59 W x 115.5 H x 10.5 D mm (Weight -133 g)
Rs 15556

3. Oylmpus SP 610UZ

14 Megapixels; 22x Optical zoom; 3 inch LCD
capable of 3D shooting
HD videos at resolution of 1280 x 720
Dimensions: 107.4 W x 72.6 H x 73.2 D (Weight - 405 g)
Rs 11399

Camera shown by Highway Ranger is not available in Flipkart.

Top Bottom