The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Gadgets and More (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/gadgets-more/)
-   -   Blackberry Mobile Phone Discussions (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/gadgets-more/4282-blackberry-mobile-phone-discussions.html)

AMG 14th July 2011 02:21 PM

Blackberry Mobile Phone Discussions

I went to check out the BlackBerry Curve 8520.

The person selling told me that you can send and receive messages from all BlackBerry devices all over the world for free.

I found this statement a little outrageous, so I just wanted to check.

cooldhaya 14th July 2011 02:35 PM

Re: A doubt about Blackberry

Yes my friend owns a BB sorry don't know the model name. It is like a BB IM something similar to our Yahoo IM. But i don't think its free , you have to pay a fixed monthly rental for each time but yes then its free all over the world!

AMG 14th July 2011 02:37 PM

If I have to pay for GPRS, it means it is not free.

cooldhaya 14th July 2011 02:42 PM

Yes technically speaking its not free. But i find this to be pretty useful if one has to be in constant touch with somebody abroad.

RSM 14th July 2011 02:45 PM

I use BlackBerry Curve 8520, but unfortunately its from my company and all these services are blocked. Also company pays for rent so no idea about charges.

I would say, this is not a great device. Currently in market better options are available.

350Z 14th July 2011 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSM (Post 86984)
I use BlackBerry Curve 8520, but unfortunately its from my company and all these services are blocked. Also company pays for rent so no idea about charges.

I would say, this is not a great device. Currently in market better options are available.

Can you please elaborate more on the pros and cons of this model? I have been considering to opt for the same.

Drive Safe,
350Z

type-r 14th July 2011 02:56 PM

yes one has to pay fixed monthly charges for the service but what he meant was that the messages are free via BlackBerry Messenger. If your friend living in another country gives you his BB Pin, then you guys can chat unlimited anytime and anywhere.

AMG 14th July 2011 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RSM (Post 86984)

BBM is blocked?[surprise]

Thetraveller 14th July 2011 03:12 PM

as type-r said, yes the services are free. BB works on enterprise servers and they provide messenger functionality using the same servers. Data transfer is secure, controlled and monitored. So if there is another BB user, you can chat with him over BB messenger.

For using other web messengers/phone messengers you will have to pay for GPRS or data connection.

Hope it helps.

AMG 14th July 2011 03:15 PM

It means that while using BBM I will have to pay no data cost?

touchalone 14th July 2011 03:24 PM

Dear AMG,

You need to take BB enterprise plan (INR 299/- per month) then you can send & rcv unlimited emails (max 10 Email ID) with attachments (max 3mb). There are also other plans available for unlimited net surfing, if required. No national & international roaming charges for BB services as BB/ gtalk/ yahoo/ msn etc. msngrs & emails).. enjoy..

Thetraveller 14th July 2011 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMG (Post 86995)
It means that while using BBM I will have to pay no data cost?

No additional cost for data, but the services will be included in some rental plan! Not sure about MRC (monthly charges) but say a 799 plan or 599 plan.

AMG 14th July 2011 04:11 PM

Rs 399 pm
Unlimited emails
unlimited internet surfing
unlimited messenger

Rs 299 pm
Unlimited emails
unlimited messenger

Both plans for airtel prepaid.

RSM 14th July 2011 04:19 PM

Re: A Doubt About BlackBerry

Quote:

Originally Posted by 350Z (Post 86989)
Can you please elaborate more on the pros and cons of this model? I have been considering to opt for the same.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Since I can't use all the features, so I can't elaborate, but overall I think nothing exciting.
Screen size is poor. Browsing etc is not so great. Camera is below average.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMG (Post 86992)
BBM is blocked?[surprise]

I can only check my office emails and use office messenger.[:)]

Thetraveller 14th July 2011 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AMG (Post 87013)
Rs 399 pm
Unlimited emails
unlimited messenger

Rs 299 pm
Unlimited emails
unlimited messenger

Both plans for airtel prepaid.

Those are pretty good plans. In 399 you get unlimited emails, surfing and messenger. This messenger is specifically BB Messenger only!