Gadgets for Good Health

Thread Starter #1
Hello

Like many families in India, health was never an objective to consciously go after in my family. It was more like a god’s gift and we were either blessed with good health or not.

It was during my stay in the USA that I learnt how incorrect that was. And there I learnt how important it was to get in shape and stay fit.

There is a wealth of information on health and wellness that is exploding in my brain as I write this paragraph, but in this context, I shall concentrate on the gadgets for good health.

A Pedometer: This tiny little gadget counts the footsteps as we walk and jog. There is a saying that every person must get at least 10,000 foot steps per day to stay healthy.

There’s many brands and models for these and I use the one from “Omron”.

A Bathroom Scale (Weighing Machine): This is in my opinion, one of the most essential tools for maintaining a good health. In addition to body weight, some measure water percentage in the body, some measure the Body Mass Index (BMI), some measure the body fat percentage, etc.

Keeping a track of these readings overtime helps us understand our body metabolism and greatly aids in staying healthy.

There is a plethora of brands and models and features, but I use “Taylor” scale and body fat monitor.

A Blood Pressure Monitor: No other tool except my iPad was used so frequently in my home than the blood pressure monitor.

There is many things that a high blood pressure can hurt within our body. There is quite a few brands out there, some with digital readers, memory functions, fully automated devices, ready made cuffs, etc.

My family uses “LifeSource” digital automated blood pressure monitor.

A Heart Rate Monitor: When you are in a workout, how much is too much? There are scientific formulae to compute the highest safe heart rate for an individual. There are also formulae to maximize the calorie burning or pump the heart to keep it fit.

A heart rate monitor gives a live feedback of how fast the heart is pumping. Some are worn on the wrists and some others are worn on the chest with a watch like strap on the wrist for display.

I use “Omron” digital heart rate monitor.

Call me crazy, but I am very watchful of my body metabolism. With these tools, I have reduced my Low Density Lipoprotein (LDL) by over 15%, lost about 10% excess weight and I actually eat more now than I did before.

You might not agree with me on every thing written above, but at least you will agree that health is wealth.

Excellent thread been_there.
My elder sister is a doctor, thanks to her, we have almost all the necessary health meters at home. I will soon share the info on them.

Good thread Been there and what a time to read this thread! I went to my friend's home yesterday and there his dad had newly bought this blood pressure meter. My blood pressure was normal.[:)]

We have Life Line Blood Pressure meter (Sphygnomanometer) of some brand called Life Line. The other Meter which is a digital one also belongs to the same brand but is used rarely, thanks to the inaccurate results it gives most of the times.

Thread Starter #5
thanks to the inaccurate results it gives most of the times.
Buying these devices can be a hit or a miss. The only way I know is to check with some one that has it, or be a guinea pig myself and keep buying and trying. Our health is worth more than a couple of bad buys.

Another thing, these devices have a limited life, meaning even if we get the right device, we still must discard those after say an year or two and buy again.it's the nature of these devices.

Buying these devices can be a hit or a miss. The only way I know is to check with some one that has it, or be a guinea pig myself and keep buying and trying. Our health is worth more than a couple of bad buys.

Another thing, these devices have a limited life, meaning even if we get the right device, we still must discard those after say an year or two and buy again.it's the nature of these devices.
I dont have to worry about it since my sister is already a doctor and she herself purchases these instruments.

Thread Starter #7
It's a shame that just two guys felt like responding to this post. That tells me something about our priorities in life.

But I guess I'm talking to myself here.

350Z

Core Team
A very informative thread and sure a perfect timing too, because I have been myself hunting for a weighing machine from some time now.

Like many families in India, health was never an objective to consciously go after in my family. It was more like a god’s gift and we were either blessed with good health or not. It was during my stay in the USA that I learnt how incorrect that was. And there I learnt how important it was to get in shape and stay fit.
That is correct. But would you like to share what exactly made you more conscious towards the health after staying in U.S.A?

But I guess I'm talking to myself here.
Definitely not. Over hundred thread views and 5 Star thread rating are the clear evidence. :smile:

Drive Safe,
350Z

Well I read this and decided to use a pedometer today while walking the dog. Walked 3500 steps in 30 minutes.
Also I have a weighing scale like the one your talking about. Its really cool and accurate.

Thread Starter #10
Three things had opened my mind to staying fit:

One: when you're sick over there, you loose a lot more than a few sick days. May be money, may be availability at work (and being the important contributor, etc.). Competition forces you to stay on top, including your own health.

Two: you pay a lot for your health over there. And with it comes the knowledge, information and guidance from your healthcare provider, doctor and general literature. You are also told what you'll miss if you don't take care.

Three: every body takes their health and life very seriously. Looking and feeling good is something you see everywhere. As you begin to learn the good things about staying fit, you'll see the point.

A fit body gives you a fit mind an it makes you do things that you would otherwise not be able to or be inclined to. An example might be getting into swimwear and going to a beach or pool, or taking your family to that park or mall in the evening that you'd otherwise spend watching the idiot box, etc.

Thread Starter #11
Well I read this and decided to use a pedometer today while walking the dog. Walked 3500 steps in 30 minutes.
Try taking this every where with you through the day for a week or two. This will give you an approximate of daily count of steps. This will be your baseline.

Subtract this from 10000. This is what you need to walk every day. This is the minimum.

And if Im beginning to sound like the nurse at the clinic, I beg for your pardon.

Last edited:
Try taking this every where with you through the day for a week or two. This will give you an approximate of daily count of steps. This will be your baseline.

Subtract this from 10000. This is what you need to walk every day. This is the minimum.

And if Im beginning to sound like the nurse at the clinic, I beg for your pardon.
Sure I'll take it from now on. No need to beg for pardon your information is very good and helpful. [thumbsup]
Also another thing to maintain a healthy life style is to stop eating processed foods. Any one watch Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution? Its worth watching.

Thread Starter #15
Might I also add a treadmill, for the affording class. Most of the time, the part of our day we put off is the fitness.

If we have a treadmill in our home, there is no more an excuse.

If you doubt whether it is classified as a gadget, I must say borderline. These days, they come with all kinds of features, counters and music integration.

Last edited:

Top Bottom