Airtel Wants To Charge Extra For VOIP Usage

Thread Starter #1
Quote:
Mobile operator Airtel has changed its terms and conditions for 3G and 2G data plans following which the telco will exclude Voice over IP services (VoIP), including both incoming as well as outgoing calls from internet data plans. The new terms were first spotted by Telecom Talk.

According to the new terms and conditions listed on Airtel's website, VoIP over data connectivity would be charged at standard data rates of 4p / 10KB for 3G service and 10p / 10KB for 2G service. This means you'll pay extra charges for data when you make a Skype, Viber or Line call even if you subscribe to a data plan instead of the data used being deducted from your monthly allowance. Moreover, 2G users would pay more even when they get lower data speeds.
Airtel to charge more for internet calls - The Times of India

When we are already paying for the kbs in the package, why do the company want to charge extra out of this.

hi vijay,
VoIP also just like normal phone call but it just happens over Internet,
the call you speak is not transmitted as datas , this not just like chat, where you reply after they reply, its instantaneous so there will be dual channel link between you and your caller, this demands more network usage than regular Internet use, this loadsup the network, so they burn more fuel than regular internet useage, also they use VoIP protocol so when ever you make a skype call, your phone makes a link to network using a VoIP protocol not just TCP IP ,or ipv4 , so network well know that you are making a call,so they filter you and charge you, there is no way if escape here, :( ,
even you watch a live stream in any website where your video or audio is sent back to them,it comes under VoIP, so its a bad thing over carriers to charge us like this,
so better use google talk,where it uses a different VoIP protocol, if the airtel fiters that too,it can't be done.
VoIP is not like getting a data and sending a data
it sends a stream if compressed voice in a TDM network where you get caller voice in another channel .
but sent in data packets. where its bit different to understand.

just a simple answer

using VoIP loads up your network and network works more for you, creates a separate road for you both and make you talk, but where in normal internet useage you drive in public road. :O

Thread Starter #3
Sir i am aware of what VoiP is and how its used.Been using it since above 12 years now.Its already being charged for the usage on your plan, you calls be in on viber or any other app they are being charged for all the bytes.On every existing plan its being charged and taken on your account so why airtel wants to make it a different charge over and above the existing ones.:(

Sir i am aware of what VoiP is and how its used.Been using it since above 12 years now.Its already being charged for the usage on your plan, you calls be in on viber or any other app they are being charged for all the bytes.On every existing plan its being charged and taken on your account so why airtel wants to make it a different charge over and above the existing ones.:(
That's because they want Money [cry]
They found they stop using message boosters and call boosters,and using internet alone,
They adjusted when we used watsapp and stopped using carrier messaging service
So they increased the plan rates
But they just cant bare we are not using their call service too :D
So they filter us from this VoIP protocol and charge us :D

If airtel makes it,other goats will follow them too.

In this world what ever you want to do, you have to pay for it. :|

This thing affects me very badly and thinking about alternatives. They try to loot us in almost all ways.Internet usage highly incresed and this reduced their margin in SMS and STD/ISD usage.

I am from Kerala and all 4 postpaid mob connections in family is Airtel and using net in 3 connections. All connectiones in my name under office CUG plan. I am using Whatsapp/viber/Skype for calling my better half in gulf country.

In the last year itself they hiked net charge about 200 %. It was 99 & 125 for 1GB & 2 GB 2G data respectively in last year and now it is RS.175 & 250. If you activated/deactivated these plans anyday of the month, you will be charged full amount

They incresed call rates from last months and now they planing to convert the plans to their 'MY Plan'. then we will loose almost all benefits of my current postpaid plan. Tehy already sharing the 3G service from Idea and that is more costly and not available in other than cities.

Thread Starter #7
What i heard was this plan was for the prepaid customer base as of now on initial base and then would shift to post paids too.But overall the market have reacted negatively on this step.
And if this continues then even on their broadband connections they would start this charges too[anger]

Top Bottom