Asus Zenfone 5: My First Few Hours' Impressions

Thread Starter #1
Decision Making: I wanted to buy a new phone before my Moto Atrix2 (AT&T version) called it quits. Was considering the Mi3 & Honor6 then decided to wait for Mi4, Vibe X2 and OPO. Heard stories from two friends about Rs.10K expenditure to replace LCD Screen for their mobiles (flagship phones). Recently a colleague's Moto G (Gen2) got totalled after flirting with water. These were enough to seal the "Cost of new purchase to under 15K". Same evening (16-Oct-14) saw the availability of Zenfone 5 on the Kart. A 5 incher with HD screen, 2GB RAM, Dual SIM support, MicroSD Card Slot, USB OTG support, a manufacturer providing regular updates, bright chances of getting "Android L" AND Rs.1,000/- discount for SBI Card. Felt that an FHD screen, bigger battery and a more powerful CPU/GPU (available with the phones I was considering) did not warrant a likely 100% additional expenditure I might incur on any one of those phones over the Zenfone5. It has to be the Asus Zenfone5. A no-brainer, I thought.

Out of the Box it had Android 4.3. After APP Sync (explained under APPs Transfer below), upon checking for System OTA update, it started downloading a 442.59 MB file which was done slightly over an hour. System checked the Firmware file for integrity and Installation was completed in 8 minutes. YAY. It is now with KitKat 4.4.2 [clap]

Look and Feel:
The phone feels nice and looks very good in the hand. There's something about the phone that makes it stand out from the rest of middle tier phones. Pls do not compare the looks with the looks of Xperia, Mi4, Honor6 or iPhone. But this phone has something premium written all over it.

Size & Display:
It is 22mm longer, 6mm wider and 2g lighter than my current 4.3" Moto Atrix2. I feel it would have been better if the length is shorter by 8-10mm. Thickness varies from 5 to 10mm. No problem for single handed operation for me. Of course the 294 ppi display is better than the 256ppi my current Atrix2 has. Colours look very good; specially Blacks are deeper than the LCD of Atrix2.

APPs Transfer: This was pretty impressive to me. After providing my Google a/c details, the Zenfone5 just downloaded ALL my 50 odd APPs, including the "Atom Launcher". Of course ALL the Contacts were also synced. A big headache saved. I liked THAT a LOT. This took about 20-25 minutes over a 150 to 300kB/s (4MB/s promised by BSNL Broadband [frustration]) speed. Then a small system update was downloaded (about 20MB file, something to do with stability; failed to read it proper).

CAMERA: For me a mobile phone Camera is for pure convenience and NOT for Quality; Would have clicked about 500 Pics (200 beings A4 size Documents when Scanner was down) and not more than 15 minutes Videos in the 3 years with my earlier Atrix2. Who knows, could have been different with Nokia's PureView. The small sensors in mobile phones do NOT excite me. Not even tried the Camera App. So NO comments.

Misc: Battery had about 45% out of the box. Used the 1A charger of Atrix2 and full charge achieved in 2+ hours (I think). A few sites have claimed 15-17 Hrs 3G talk time, and hence I feel it would last a full day. Nevertheless I got a 5200 mAH Mi Battery Bank during the Sale from the Kart[;)]. I have only a regular SIM, the phone needs Micro SIMs, and so it has been WiFi times. Connecting with my modem was a child's play. Yet to buy a flip cover, a new MicroSD Card or a USB OTG PenDrive. Cannot comment on these. Phone got delivered in a little over 28 Hrs from placing the order.

@ Mods: If this is not the proper place, kindly shift to the correct Place.

Thread Starter #2
Premium features at Budget Price - My Initial Review of ZF5.

Performance:
The Dual Core Atom Processor has surprised me so far. There's a delay of 5 to 10 (maybe 15?) seconds, while opening games like Asphalt5, Asphalt Overdrve, Fast Racing, Subway Surfers - New Orleans and even Temple Run. Once opened, it is turbo drive thereafter; NO LAGS whatsoever. Kudos to the 2GB RAM, the performance is brilliant.

Radio and Call Quality:
Both are very good. NO Call Drops coupled with very good signal reception; the Call Quality is superb. The "in-call speaker" is so loud I have set it to perhaps 70%. The rear speaker is weak though; one reviewer said "Asus got their speakers mixed up" [;)]

Build Quality and Looks:
This is too good. The Power-ON and volume buttons remind me of Xperia Z series. I think, it is time for Sammy and Sony to learn from the likes of Asus / Xiaomi / Huawei about making good looking (Sammy) budget phones with premium features (Sony). The 5" HD screen IS very good; Text and Images look great. Screen has decent viewing angles and no need to shield the screen at noon ! But, too much of front area of the phone is wasted, with about 5mm wide bezels [frustration]. The curved rear adds to the look and also helps in better handling of the phone.

Creature Comforts:
The Asus provided "Phone/SMS/Calender/Note" Apps are so good, I've uninstalled the "Dialler One, Go SMS and Business Calender Apps" and considering uninstalling the Evernote App too. The "Zen UI" is super cool, my favourite for 2 years Atom Launcher was also uninstalled. By enabling the "Asus Cover", you get a "S-View" type window; by using a compatible cover with a window, one can see who's calling and answer the calls without opening the flip cover (Rs.599/- on the bay) and also see swipe-able "call/sms notifications or clock or the torch light or weather" views. The flip cover adds about 2-3mm to the thickness of the phone though (shigh...) and also makes it a bit difficult to access the side buttons. One more thing that I liked is PC connectivity; just connect the phone to a PC to access the Int/Ext Storage. Data Transferring to Int. Storage is pretty fast. USB OTG is yet to be tried.

Kitna Deti Hai:
Since last Saturday evening, I'm using a 3G micro SIM but in only 2G mode for voice calls. Per single charge, with about 2.5 Hrs of screen-on times, close to an hour of 2G voice calls, 30+ minutes of internet over Wi-Fi, and about 30-45 minutes of Music player, the battery lasts for about a Day and 2-6 Hrs. For pure 3G usage, I guess the Battery might last for over 12 Hrs.

My better half likes this ZF5 so much that, she's demanding it. When the OPO or Honor 6 Dual SIM or Mi4 comes to India, I might just do that.

Congrats Vijay. I am also planning to change my Canvas 2+ but not sure on the budget I should invest for new cell. One mind says invest upto 15K and change your cell every year & other says get Note 4 or similar but then have to use it for next 2-3 Years.
Finally decided to go for a budget cell phone but now confused since there are many phones available at range upto 15K. Looking at overall reviews I have narrowed down on ASUS 5 & your review helped me to confirm it. Will be getting this phone by 17th Nov. However please do update your review especialy on any cons you see.
Thanks in advance

Hi Vijay,

Congratulations on your new phone. I am planning to go with ASUS from last few weeks and after going through your review i am now on final edge of getting it.

I don't have more craze / information on smart phone :stupid:. My requirement is better camera, large screen (esp. for Google Maps) and Music and that too within 15K budget. So is it OK for me to go with Zenfone 5? Would my regular SIM fit in this phone?

Hi Vijay,

Congratulations on your new phone. I am planning to go with ASUS from last few weeks and after going through your review i am now on final edge of getting it.

I don't have more craze / information on smart phone :stupid:. My requirement is better camera, large screen (esp. for Google Maps) and Music and that too within 15K budget. So is it OK for me to go with Zenfone 5? Would my regular SIM fit in this phone?
It is worthy buy. My colleague had one, which I recommended him and he is a very happy ZF5 user now. Music performance will not be exemplary but good for casual usage.

Hi Vijay,

This Mobile needs micro Sim. Regural sim wont fit. But it takes hardly 20 mins to get micro SIM & activate the services on same.

Thread Starter #7
Congrats Vijay ... However please do update your review especialy on any cons you see. Thanks in advance.
Thank you macsvin, welcome and Congrats on your new purchase. So far the going is great with the ZF5. It exceeded my expectations and that's the reason I put up the review. There are 87 Apps (thanks to my daughter) already in the phone and out of the the 2GB RAM, minimum 800+MB is available free. I'm pretty sure this will keep this phone lag free for minimum 2 Yrs. I would recommend using a cover, as the phone is only 5mm thick on the edges. If you buy a flip cover, select one that replaces the rear cover (not over it - as mine is - ) and with a circular cut out up front. My phone cover is not exactly conformal onto the rear profile. The colour of the cover is Blue, my wife's choice and that's when I realised she has set her eyes on the ZF5 [;)].

Hi Vijay,
Congratulations ... My requirement is better camera, large screen (esp. for Google Maps) and Music and that too within 15K budget. So is it OK for me to go with Zenfone 5? Would my regular SIM fit in this phone?
Thanks GrandRk. You would definitely like the screen of ZF5. If you use GMaps regularly, you'll be impressed by the quick Location Fix; but that'll also reduce the battery life. Better get a Battery Bank (Xiaomi's excellent 5200mAH - I have this - and 10400mAH items were available two day's back on the Kart). I'm unable to comment on the Cam of ZF5, though the couple of Pics I photographed under good lighting conditions (documents at office) have enough more than details and colour reproduction. About "music and SIM" size furious_driver and macsvin have already replied. The rear speaker volume can be tinkered with the pre-installed "Asus Audio Wizard" coupled with adjustments to the Equaliser settings in Player. It is audible enough in my 15' x 18' Bedroom but gets lost in my 23'x 25' Hall. It's a champ in my 6' x 8' bathroom though. Finally, check out the attachment below (which I used):
Mobiles.jpg

Vijay - Looking at various review I will be booking it next week only. Just had few questions. Can you please assist?
1. What is the batery life?
2. I usually do not use any cover for handset. Wil this be any issue?
3. I would just use Screen protector. Any recommendation on this?

Thanks in advance

Thread Starter #9
Vijay - Looking at various review I will be booking it next week only. Just had few questions. Can you please assist?
1. What is the batery life?
2. I usually do not use any cover for handset. Will this be any issue?
3. I would just use Screen protector. Any recommendation on this?

Thanks in advance
Answers:
1. Battery: Pls check post #2 under "Kitna Deti Hai".

2. Cover: It depends on the END USE. I cannot afford a single scratch on ZF5, as the phone will belong to my wife in 4-5 months' time and I'd be listening to daily Upanyas otherwise :-) I was also worried of dropping the phone due its just 5mm thick edges. My senior colleague doesn't use one.

3. Screen Protector: Plenty of options on-line. Choose one with "Matte finish" if you are a outdoor type and one with "Glossy finish" if you don't need to worry a lot about reflections and like quality of "text and photos".

Basically, 2 & 3 above are personal choices. Advantage of having them is you can throw them away any time ! Best is to decide after 2-3 days of using the phone. BTW, ZF5 has Gorilla3 Glass and my Atrix2 has Gorrilla1 Glass; A2 never ever had a film nor a cover. In three years of rough use with plenty of droppings (once it landed face first onto the Gas Stove Burner; I tried shaking it - with oily hand - to change tracks when helping in kitchen), it had acquired a range of scratches all over the body and glass. Everything in A2 is still original and it is still VERY MUCH usable. Hope these help.

Thread Starter #10
Battery Drain Problem : Solved.

Salient Observations:
Phone fully charged before bed-time (Friday night).
Battery at 58% by 8AM on Saturday that too on Standby!
Battery was down to 45% by 9AM.
Charged to 100% by 10:30AM (using 0.5A Samsung Car charger for about 75 minutes).
Battery down to 50 something with light usage by 7:45PM.
100% charge in 60 minutes (with 1.35A Asus charger).
Then I realised that the charging currents did NOT have a SIGNIFICANT difference in charging time. By that time (15 minutes) battery was showing 96%. I was fiddling with USB debugging on Friday night and on Saturday. BTW, which one of us ever read a Manual :offtopic:. Did I enable/disable something inadvertently affecting the "Battery Cal" ?

Solution and Result:
Switched OFF and powered ON after a few minutes.
Sunday Morning - Battery is at 83% after 11:30 Hrs. 10 minutes of calls, 23 minutes of Screen-ON time, Wi-fi ON for past 60 minutes and remaining on Standby since power ON. Phone is Back on track [:)].

Anybody with Battery Issue could try this and share your experience.

PS: The timings mentioned are based on my recollection, and not exactly were noted down. There could be an error within 15 minutes.

Last edited:
Sorry for the Little Bit OT,

This is not about this phone but the about the manufacturer ASUS and the E-retailer FK

Flipkart leaves customers

Found in another forum, Must read for potential buyer who are planing for ASUS product from E-retailer FK.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #12
Update on Warranty and Battery Life

(A) Registration and Warranty:
...about the manufacturer ASUS and the E-retailer FK. Flipkart leaves customers ... Must read for potential buyer who are planing for ASUS product from E-retailer FK.
Arijitb, thanks to your post, I registered my phone at https://account.asus.com/product_list.aspx?lang=en-us
The pleasant surprise came after registration. My phone was sold just two days before I got it. I think Asus and FK have sorted out the issue. See the screen shot below:

Asus ZF5 Regn.jpg

Hopefully this also means full warranty is applicable.

(B) Battery Life:
After last Power-OFF Power-ON, the battery has lasted for 1 Day & 23 Hrs. Screen-shot attached for Ref. Two full nights and a day of almost standby (93% to 68%) and light telephony and screen-on activities during today (65% to 7%). That's a very good performance after the Friday-to-Saturday-Drain-scare [:)]

Screenshot_2014-11-03-20-09-34.jpg

Hi Vijay - I also got my peice delivered today morning. Its just few mins my Micro SIM is been ativiated but since I am in office I am yet to explore it more. I shall do the same & probably by this weekend should write my own review.
Thanks a lot since your review helped me to finalize my bookings.
By the way any more tips you would like to share please.

Thread Starter #14
Hi Vijay - I also got my peice delivered today morning ...
By the way any more tips you would like to share please.
Congrats macsvin , and yes, I would share one more; download the pclink (from http://pclink.asus.com). Once enabled and opened (both in Pc and in Mobile), your phone screen appears in the PC Screen. Now, use the mouse instead of finger to "Navigate thro' Home screens and APP Drawer, Launch an APP, Access Notification / Toggles". any touch input on the mobile screen is reflected on the PC monitor too. Cool feature, unlike many Mobile-PC connections; helped me a lot to build the "B-Folders" data base (in the mobile). Also do remember to register phone on Asus website. Waiting for you to share your experiences with the ZF5.

I bought one last week from Flipkart. I am very happy with it till now. Battery back up is pretty good for my use compared to the S4mini I had previously. It used to be down to 5% by 10PM. The Asus still has 53% with 3G on since 7AM.

One question: How do I activate the service package ?

Top Bottom