Buying a New Camera: Mirrorless vs DSLR?

Thread Starter #1

350Z

Core Team
I'm planning to upgrade from Sony Cybershot to a more professional camera in the range of Rs.25K. The usage is mixed which also includes our reviews and event coverages as well as HD video recording. However, it should be handy like a digicam. Though I'm a no professional photographer, I'd prefer to have more flexibility without being overwhelmed with technicalities. That's when I found the middle path of going ahead with a mirrorless camera to be quite feasible. Is this a right decision? Could our gadget gurus shed light on the available options for recommended mirrorless cameras and DSLRs within specified budget?

Drive Safe,
350Z

it should be handy like a digicam.
Could our gadget gurus shed light on the available options for recommended mirrorless cameras and DSLRs within specified budget?

If size matters, you already ruled out DSLR.

Couldn't think anything other than Nikon 1, Canon EOS-M & Sony NEX series.

Incase you prefer DSLR, Nikon D3200 / D5100 (I don't have experience with Canons)

PS: Both has got their own Pros and Cons.

Edit:
Here is my thread on D5100

Last edited:
Sir, your usage demands quality though may be little chunkier, you require DSLR.
(Traditionally, the only real options for digital photographers have either been compact cameras which have very small image sensors, or the considerably larger - in both sensor and body dimensions - DSLR designs. DSLR sensor is almost 10 times bigger than conventional point & shoot cameras, hence exceptional low-light image quality & greater control over depth-of-field.)

Now in DSLR, there are conventional DSLRs & Mirrorless DSLRs. Advantages of later is
a) significantly smaller camera that combines DSLR image quality with a more compact-camera-like user experience
b) traditionally digital compact offer a fast, live preview of the scene you're shooting on the rear display - often called 'live view', while DSLR are slow at that. But mirrorless dslr are little faster for "live view" than traditional DSLRs.
c) don't need to raise the camera to eye-level to take a photograph
d) Almost all compact cameras use contrast-detection autofocus, while traditional DSLR use phase detection. So-called 'hybrid' AF systems are becoming more common in Mirrorless DSLR cameras, combining advantages of both.
e) ability to assess exposure and show a magnified preview for accurate focusing of old, manual focus lenses
f) able to preview what picture will look like after effect of exposure / iso / speed etc setting. In traditional DSLR, you look in viewfinder, adjust settings for exposure / iso / speed / WB / shutter as per image in your mind & shoot the picture, & then look at shoot picture in lcd screen whether it is as per your mind, if it is not, you have to re-shoot. While in mirrorless DSLRs, whatever image is seen on lcd screen is picture with your all focus / exposure / shutter etc settings, you can tweak all settings in live, & when satisfied, shoot the picture.

Disadvantages of mirrorless DSLR:
a) can't match the autofocus speed of DSLRs when conducting continuous or predictive AF.
b) can't track moving subjects (specifically those moving towards or away from you).
c) struggle to focus in low light to a greater degree than we'd expect from an equivalent DSLRs.
d) need to always use the LCD or electronic viewfinder means the battery life of some Mirrorless cameras isn't quite in the 'shoot-all-day' range that many DSLRs offer
e) due to small camera bodies, batteries have often become small sized.

In short, my recommendation is DSLR - if size matters, go for mirrorless DSLR like Samsung's NX, Sony's NEX, Fujifilm's X and Canon's EF-M mounts.

@dhoom9,Sir, I wish to have a DSLR. I won't go above 33k. Could you pl suggest a brand between Cannon/Nikon and model number for me. I have experience of using National 35 only which is also during student life.

Let me think what that was [thinking]

Yes, one day I was at the Nehru Place metro station HOT(House Of Technology) and there I spotted a camera(My friend calls it advanced compact) from Fujifilm which costed 22k(friend bought it).
That camera is actually quite good and I have found that it clicks fantastic pics and can be useful for reviewing too. You may try it out.

Else, extend your budget and get a DSLR.
BTW, are there any sweet deals on snapdeal these days?

Still, I recommend visiting HOT and since it is inside the metro station itself(ground floor) so that makes visiting even easier; no need to touch the car(Parking is an issue at Nehru place), just get the metro train and check out the wide range available there and in navratras you can expect some sweet deals or freebies too.

Last edited:
Hey Vibhor, here I have found a deal for you. Its Canon EOS 1100D, believe me, it's a fantastic entry level DSLR available with the dual lens kit too(18-55 as well as 55-250 lenses) and at slightly above your budget. IMO, it isn't an offer you must let go; especially when you are in the market looking for a DSLR.

Check it here:
Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera Rs.26176 Price in India - Buy Canon EOS 1100D DSLR Camera Black Online - Canon : Flipkart.com

and here
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/canon-eos-1100d-with-double/1178335#bcrumbLabelId:292

Personally I'd recommend buying from Flipkart as they are quick(way better service than snapdeal at least) as well as the price is also lower.

@dhoom9,Sir, I wish to have a DSLR. I won't go above 33k. Could you pl suggest a brand between Cannon/Nikon and model number for me. I have experience of using National 35 only which is also during student life.
Siddharth buddy, you can also try out the EOS1100D, this time it's a sweet deal with dual lens kit.

Last edited:
I'm planning to upgrade from Sony Cybershot to a more professional camera in the range of Rs.25K. The usage is mixed which also includes our reviews and event coverages as well as HD video recording. However, it should be handy like a digicam. Though I'm a no professional cameraman, I'd prefer to have more flexibility without being overwhelmed with technicalities. That's when I found the middle path of going ahead with a mirrorless camera to be quite feasible. Is this a right decision? Could our gadget gurus shed light on the available options for recommended mirrorless cameras and DSLRs within specified budget?

Drive Safe,
350Z
Hi,you can get Nikon D3100 at a price of 23K.

Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera Rs.23160 Price in India - Buy Nikon D3100 DSLR Camera Black Online - Nikon : Flipkart.com

Last edited:
For reviewing Car & Events (not sports) & Indoor events..

Check out Canon EOS-M with 18-55mm f/3.5 stock lens and Video shooting & publishing etc EOS-M with 22 mm prime f/2.0 Lens.

Consider also Sony RX-100 series (Point and shoot, 3x Zoom only, f/1.8 lens) for Brilliant lowlight photography as well Consider Sony NEX 5 series Mirror less - They are Brilliant.

If no problem with bulk then step into Canon EOS Entry Level (4 Digit D) DSLR series as mentioned by the fellow TAI'gers here and go for the Flipkart way will be the best.

No idea about Nikon but I heard Nikon Lens are compatible with Canon DSLR, but Canon Lens are not compatible with anything other than their own products.

Last edited:
The best thing about DSLR's is once you get used to the body, feature and the clarity, you wont love others.

Below are some good DSLR,

Nikon D5300 - latest in the market with new feature and GPS/Wifi
Nikon D5200 - just a lower variant of 5300 without GPS/Wifi
Nikon D5100 - is a good camera but it is out of production recently.

Canon 600D is a good camera but it is out of production recently, so you may find it online with good offer/deals.

Canon 60D/70D is famous for its high shutter speed, 60D is out of production and replaced by 70D.

You can get cheaper deals here,
LALIT FOTO
9820610918, 9819271701

Note: Buying DSLR is cash instead of card/online purchase is much more cheaper.

Thread Starter #11

350Z

Core Team
If size matters, you already ruled out DSLR.
Smaller size will indeed be a boon because of which I'm inclined towards Mirrorless. However, advanced features in DSLRs within same range is what tempts me.

Checkout the Nex5T
This is something I find worth considering although a bit over the budget.

b) can't track moving subjects (specifically those moving towards or away from you).
Thanks for an incredibly detailed response. Could you elaborate on this point? Wouldn't it be possible to capture a clear picture of a car in motion with Mirrorless?

d) need to always use the LCD or electronic viewfinder means the battery life of some Mirrorless cameras isn't quite in the 'shoot-all-day' range that many DSLRs offer
I don't think this would be an issue for me. I'm more comfortable using LCD and wouldn't mind keeping two batteries instead of one big camera.

In short, my recommendation is DSLR - if size matters, go for mirrorless DSLR like Samsung's NX, Sony's NEX, Fujifilm's X and Canon's EF-M mounts.
Do you recommend any specific models from the mentioned brands? (Both, Mirrorless and DSLR).

Still, I recommend visiting HOT and since it is inside the metro station itself(ground floor) so that makes visiting even easier; no need to touch the car(Parking is an issue at Nehru place), just get the metro train and check out the wide range available there and in navratras you can expect some sweet deals or freebies too.
Thanks, Vipul. I'll check it out.

Hey Vibhor, here I have found a deal for you. Its Canon EOS 1100D, believe me, it's a fantastic entry level DSLR available with the dual lens kit too(18-55 as well as 55-250 lenses) and at slightly above your budget. IMO, it isn't an offer you must let go; especially when you are in the market looking for a DSLR.
Thanks for the efforts Vipul. I'm willing to wait for a month or so. I think I need to check and compare the size of both the cameras in person to decide this first.

You can get cheaper deals here,
LALIT FOTO
9820610918, 9819271701
Is this in Delhi?

Note: Buying DSLR is cash instead of card/online purchase is much more cheaper.
Why so?

Drive Safe,
350Z

Thanks for the efforts Vipul. I'm willing to wait for a month or so. I think I need to check and compare the size of both the cameras in person to decide this first.

Drive Safe,
350Z
Sirji I'd recommend you buy a DSLR. It will take hardly a day or two to learn basics and once you are aware of the whats and hows then nothing comes close.
They are not bulky too, you once start using one and you will find them easy to handle - BTW, some pain is well deserved for the quality you get at the end of the day.

And yes, please stop using flash while clicking the pics of interiors during daytime(Why? Check the elite i20 review!!)[glasses]

I would suggest to go for a nikon D5200 which is about INR 33K. If you havemade up your mind for a mirror less, Nikon1 is the one.

I am a Nikon fan boy, but I find Canon's in camera s/w for image processing is far better than that of Nikon.

Last edited:
Thanks for an incredibly detailed response. Could you elaborate on this point? Wouldn't it be possible to capture a clear picture of a car in motion with Mirrorless?
If car is moving far to near towards to you ( or vice versa), it's difficult to get focus, as DSLR do auto focus by phase detection, (which is little slow but very accurate) then when car is moving from one side to another. Here mirrorless DSLR has little edge as most have hybrid focus (contrast & phase detection) system, hence autofocus is little faster.

Do you recommend any specific models from the mention brands? (Both, Mirrorless and DSLR).
DSLR (Near your budget)
Nikon D5100 DSLR Camera (Body with AF-S 18-55 mm VR Lens) :- Rs. 25690
Nikon D3200 DSLR Camera (Body with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens :- Rs. 24990 / Rs. 24889
Canon EOS 1200D with 18-55mm Lens: Rs 20400

Personally I like 5100 as it has flip out screen & in built HDR.
Nikon-D3200-vs-Nikon-D5100

Canon-EOS-1200D-vs-Nikon-D5100

Mirrorless DSLR (near your budget)

Sony ILCE-3000K DSLR Camera (Body with 18-55 mm Lens) :- Rs. 23990
Sony ILCE-3500J with SEL1850 Lens DSLR Camera :- Rs. 23999 / Rs. 23770

Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3K 16MP Mirrorless Camera with 14-42mm Kit Lens :- Rs. 23885
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5K Mirrorless with 14-42mm Lens:- Rs. 21048

Sony Alpha NEX-3NL Mirrorless with 16-50mm Lens :- Rs. 24840

Personally I prefer Sony NEX3N as can take 3D photo, In-camera HDR & panorama, flip out screen, compact body.

I suggest my current preference - Nikon D5200 DSLR Camera with AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55 mm F/3.5-5.6G VR II Lens - Rs. 33558 / Rs. 33457

If you are novice or beginner, another option is Sony Alpha SLT A-58Y with 18-55mm + 55-200mm Lens Rs. 34093

Main difference being Sony viewfinder will not show area being composed for photo, but actual preview of how that area will look in photo, & whatever changes are done to exposure / ISO / shutter will be shown live in that preview in viewfinder. ( In DSLR camera, viewfinder is optical, & hence show area being composed, but will not show live effect of focus / ISO / exposure etc settings being applied. Some DSLR feature "Live view" & you can see such effects & preview of image in lcd screen). Also when you manual focus on distant point, you can actual magnify that distant point in viewfinder & confirm focus is proper as per desired. Another 55-200 lens will help you for wildlife or sports photography if that is area of interest for you.

Last edited:

Top Bottom