Its All a Number Game (Rant on Gadget Tech Specs)

Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Im Frustrated, and the new Launches are taking it higher.
The Companies are just playing numbers. They offer MORE megapixels, Core, Nodes, GB/MB, Memory, GHZ, and so on. In Numbers that is. I am perplexed how the Tech today has gone from bad to worse.

Tech and Machinery was invented to make our lives easier, To make us more productive and to save time. Where is that Spirit now? It has turned into a Mad race for Numbers and specs.

Take this for an example-
Karbonn Titanium Octane Plus - Full phone specifications

OCTA Core... KEWL. This has more than twice (4 times for us poor souls on dual core) the cores compared to laptops out there. Double The screen resolution than most mainstream laptops and bunch of sensors more than NASA Mars Rover.
Nice ? NOT!

The battery is only 2000 mAh. Companies are racing like rabid dogs to offer more and more cores in their mobiles, But is there any one

Android phone that can last a week or more on single charge?
Is there a phone that offers decent net connectivity in Villages and Hills?
Is there a Phone thats Most practical and time saving?
Any Mainstream Phone that can stand Dropping From hands, Scracthes Dust etc?

And now there is fad of those stupid Mirco SIMs. Then nano Sims. Please be aware that our hands are not getting any smaller and our spectacles are not getting any larger.

Here's more-

Buyer's guide: Suggest gaming laptops within Rs 40,000 - The Times of India

Take a look at these.

Display? HALF HD. My 16k Phone's got FULL HD. Look at what Horrible PPi they offer. We could actually make out pixels on these ones.

Cores? 4. No Thanks, My Phone has 8.

Price? 40k! NO WAY! My 16 k phone has more Spec wise and Practically wise.

Where have modern laptops gone? Laptops are meant to be humle beings for long term, Long session use like Writing Rants and articles, Surfing, Keying codes, programming, learning and more. Actually the modern laptop has fallen to the dogs BOTH SPEC WISE and PRACTICALITY wise.

How many Laptops actually have backlit keyboards to ease stress at dim Hours?
How many laptops offer Full day battery?
How many laptops don't heat up your jewels and thighs like mad?(so you can father healthy children)
How many laptops start like a Bulb (I mean,Press button and BOOM... comes desktop)
How many laptops have built in 3G/4G Sim Slots so we can surf without ugly dongles?
How many Laptops offer Anti-reflective Screens to Make your eyes last longer and healthier?

Not many. And Im NOT happy.

The Things that SHOUD have gone standard (All day battery, Water/Dust protection, Scratch protection, Anti Glare display) Have stayed for a niche few. and the Things we DON'T need (Oct core Proc for instance) and becoming the norm.
Wrong, very wrong.

Last edited:
Re: Its all a Number game (Rant on Tech specs)

you are bang on but but now public is after these number only.

You might have noticed that, everybody ask about what is the camera's MP,what is the screen size, what core it is. Then they will compare and boast themselves that see my phone is more superior.

I have never seen anybody is asking for what is the Battery capacity, what kind of screen the phone is offering, which company's mother board the phone is using etc which are most important for long run of the phone and safety as well (phone blast case).
But people are least bother about it. They are only concern about the no of core,camera MP and screen size.
So I feel manufacturing company will go after the people's demand. They need to full fill the market demand or else how they are going to run the business.

one more question most people buy high end phone, how many of them use the phone to it's potential. Many use the high end phone only to showoff. In phone I could not differentiate in naked eye what is the difference between Full HD and half HD, dual core to quad core, different processor speed.

It is wrong but it is the people who have created such demand and company need to follow that.

Re: Its all a Number game (Rant on Tech specs)

AFAIK the tech business lives on upgrades. I am not saying it is bad to have tech upgrades but the confusion that creates is awesome.This post is finding the crux of the issue.There are people who have laptops with core i7 and 4GB/8GB RAM doing just browsing the net. New models coming out with so pretty names and specifications will actually increase the value of the brand.Camera MegaPixel is really confusing. A 16 MP Camera in a Karbonn phone don't give the clarity of a 5 Megapixel Nokia/Sony phone. At the same time a quadcore processor with 1GB RAM Karbonn phone is almost half the price of a Sony phone of the same specifications .(It had changed recently as Sony also started coming out with LC phones).For a customer he needs to know exactly what he/she wants.People also like to flaunt new models.So till the demand is there this will keep on happening.

Thread Starter #4

bhvm

Honoured Member
you are bang on but but now public is after these number only.

You might have noticed that, everybody ask about what is the camera's MP,what is the screen size, what core it is. Then they will compare and boast themselves that see my phone is more superior.

I have never seen anybody is asking for what is the Battery capacity, what kind of screen the phone is offering, which company's mother board the phone is using etc which are most important for long run of the phone and safety as well (phone blast case).
But people are least bother about it. They are only concern about the no of core,camera MP and screen size.
So I feel manufacturing company will go after the people's demand. They need to full fill the market demand or else how they are going to run the business.

one more question most people buy high end phone, how many of them use the phone to it's potential. Many use the high end phone only to showoff. In phone I could not differentiate in naked eye what is the difference between Full HD and half HD, dual core to quad core, different processor speed.

It is wrong but it is the people who have created such demand and company need to follow that.
1) I feel that the manufacturers are to the blame for such Behaviour. Because Its THESE specs that are advertised, hence the people believe that these SPEC are the only thing important about Gadgets.

Other things like Power Consumption, Radiation (Phones), Heat from laptops, Glare, Screen reflectivity, Keyboard Comfort are never advertised, Why?

2) The MP of phone Does NOT matter at all. I have won competitions with a 3Mp Nokia Phone which could beat some SLRs. Its all on How we use and Plan.

Also, Yesterday I way playing with Sony Xperia T2 which has 13 Mp camera I think. Compared to my Note 1 (8 MP cam) the Sensor Noise was horrible. Also the camera LED was much Weaker than my Note. So Thats what happens when you cam more Pixels onto the same Sensor Size and Lens. Look at the Lens of SLR camera with 10MP and you'lll understand. Companies are just going one way but no Upgrading the Full set. Hence we get sub-par results even with Higher Spec (numbers)

3) Agreed.
AFAIK the tech business lives on upgrades. I am not saying it is bad to have tech upgrades but the confusion that creates is awesome.This post is finding the crux of the issue.There are people who have laptops with core i7 and 4GB/8GB RAM doing just browsing the net. New models coming out with so pretty names and specifications will actually increase the value of the brand.Camera MegaPixel is really confusing. A 16 MP Camera in a Karbonn phone don't give the clarity of a 5 Megapixel Nokia/Sony phone. At the same time a quadcore processor with 1GB RAM Karbonn phone is almost half the price of a Sony phone of the same specifications .(It had changed recently as Sony also started coming out with LC phones).For a customer he needs to know exactly what he/she wants.People also like to flaunt new models.So till the demand is there this will keep on happening.
Fully Agreed.
I call this the "politican Effect"
People are buying Note 3 and just using it to Pick calls and read some SMS (which are badly written) They Don't know different between Full HD and Half HD. Expensive gadgets are just a show off and Status symbol and are never used to their true potential.

Top Bottom