How Do You Deal With This Epidemic That Is Killing Relationships?

Thread Starter #1
Seriously, This is what we were discussing about recently.

When there is a group of people gathers on any occasion, definitely there used to be lot of fun taking with each other and enjoy the moment. But recently, in Mobile Phone world, I think this habit is dying slowly.

When there is a gathering, most of the people are busy with their mobiles talking with others thru some messenger or updating Facebook status or tweeting etc etc.

If not they are busy with capturing that moment in phone instead of enjoying the moment.

Do not know whether this is right or wrong.

I Forgot My Phone - YouTube

Last edited:
It is surely against personal etiquette not to attend the person in front of you and giving more time to gadget.

One of my friends said to her wife on a dinner outside - "If you touch your mobile, I will walk away from the restaurant".

Thread Starter #3
It is surely against personal etiquette not to attend the person in front of you and giving more time to gadget.

One of my friends said to her wife on a dinner outside - "If you touch your mobile, I will walk away from the restaurant".
Anshuman, Confused[confused]

Seriously, this is something I hate with people. You can find such groups in Modern Coffee Shops, especially. A gang of guys and gals sitting in one table with their heads down on their phone! Well, what's the point in sitting together there? But you know there is actually a point of being there? Yeah, fee WiFi [clap]

I am not against gadgets, but I believe, human relationship with personal touch is the most important and valuable than touching them in the phone screen!

Mobiles have become as a part and parcel of our lives. So close we have been with it that we can only sleep with mobile on bedside table or under pillow (notwithstanding the harmful affects of mobile radiation). Inspite of this, few points below will help in better management of our mobile phones and call handling:

1. Always communicate to point and no chatting unnecessarily (particularly when in office). Even with close friends or family members also. This will give more time to chat or discuss when meeting in person and hence sustain our relationship. A smile in front of person is more valuable than a smile in a mobile phone discussion.

2. If speaking to a guest and if you get a phone call, we need to mind that guest in front of us is important than the phone. You may reply back that you will call back again. The caller at other end will be courteous enough to understand that it is not his prerogative to have our time for granted.

3. Treat mobile only as an emergency tool as far as possible where you have no other means of communications nearby (this does not mean office phone can be misused). This will help in saving your battery life and your money too.

4. Avoid using mobile phone inside bedrooms. It should be there in living rooms only. Initially it will be difficult and strange but sticking to this will have its own advantages in terms of health and leaving us alone for sometime without sacrificing our mobile friends.

4. Big NO to mobiles for children.

Yes ,what you are sharing is true. I had felt this many times in meetings. Though we keep mobile in silent mode during the meeting time ,still we have a tendency to look in to it. The reason is mobile phone had become our companion.We check fb updates,tweets,whatsaap,emails messages,missed calls etc. It had come to such a level that its a habit now a days for people.To tell the truth we live more in a virtual environment than in the present. I had even seen people so terrified of their mobile phone getting discharged,its like death for them [surprise]. Some etiquette must be followed at least when you are with near and dear ones.Simply put give value for the person who is in front of you .(you are there to meet that person). A call can come anytime and you can call back anytime . Unless the call is not very urgent dont keep the people in front of you waiting.[cheers]

Thread Starter #11
Usually people going to restaurants or in group tend to see their mobiles for updates/messages every 2-5 mins.
Sethu Annae - Could be, though lawfully not [clap]

Guess, Anshuman didn't get it yet
Anshuman, as JB said you did n't get the point. Pls look your first post in this thread.

Mobiles have become as a part and parcel of our lives. So close we have been with it that we can only sleep with mobile on bedside table or under pillow (notwithstanding the harmful affects of mobile radiation). Inspite of this, few points below will help in better management of our mobile phones and call handling:

1. Always communicate to point and no chatting unnecessarily (particularly when in office). Even with close friends or family members also. This will give more time to chat or discuss when meeting in person and hence sustain our relationship. A smile in front of person is more valuable than a smile in a mobile phone discussion.

2. If speaking to a guest and if you get a phone call, we need to mind that guest in front of us is important than the phone. You may reply back that you will call back again. The caller at other end will be courteous enough to understand that it is not his prerogative to have our time for granted.

3. Treat mobile only as an emergency tool as far as possible where you have no other means of communications nearby (this does not mean office phone can be misused). This will help in saving your battery life and your money too.

4. Avoid using mobile phone inside bedrooms. It should be there in living rooms only. Initially it will be difficult and strange but sticking to this will have its own advantages in terms of health and leaving us alone for sometime without sacrificing our mobile friends.

4. Big NO to mobiles for children.
All the points are very valid srini.

Yes ,what you are sharing is true. I had felt this many times in meetings. Though we keep mobile in silent mode during the meeting time ,still we have a tendency to look in to it. The reason is mobile phone had become our companion.We check fb updates,tweets,whatsaap,emails messages,missed calls etc. It had come to such a level that its a habit now a days for people.To tell the truth we live more in a virtual environment than in the present. I had even seen people so terrified of their mobile phone getting discharged,its like death for them [surprise]. Some etiquette must be followed at least when you are with near and dear ones.Simply put give value for the person who is in front of you .(you are there to meet that person). A call can come anytime and you can call back anytime . Unless the call is not very urgent dont keep the people in front of you waiting.
100% True. I try to avoid mobile when am with my family or friends unless it is very important. Even if i had to attend the call or revert back (may be wife's call hehehe) I will make it short and sweet.

And I hate people entering conference hall/meeting hall/Temples without changing the profile to silent mode. It will be irritating. Whenever I give a demo/presentation my first slide will be on that like "Pls put your mobiles on silent mode". At-least if people wanted to do and forgot when entering to the hall will remember it and do it. (always there will be 5% of people never bothers such announcements, so we can ignore them)

Me (fiddling with my phone) to Sethu, Err did u say anything? Sorry missed what you said.

;)

yes but these mobiles have really converted us into anti social creatures. we would be in touch with 100 friends via facebook, etc but not one in person. Even if you happen to meet some one, you are texting other who are miles away rather than being with the one who is just a couple of feet away from you.

Thread Starter #13
Me (fiddling with my phone) to Sethu, Err did u say anything? Sorry missed what you said.
;)
Me to Vicky.. [anger]..

Just kidding bozz..

yes but these mobiles have really converted us into anti social creatures. we would be in touch with 100 friends via facebook, etc but not one in person. Even if you happen to meet some one, you are texting other who are miles away rather than being with the one who is just a couple of feet away from you.
Precisely, that is what this whole thing about. :agree: with you vicky.

This one is an interesting topic Sethu sir!

IMO, Another reason why people fiddle/play with their phones during a group conversation or one to one meets, is probably because they wish show off their 'expensive' phone, which they may have purchased by putting in a lot of money. Forgetting the fact that the people/person sitting in front of them is more important and needs utmost respect and courteous behavior, like they themselves would expect.

I have faced this issue where I am talking something and the person who is a close relative is busy in the phone. The end result: we are no longer in touch with each other, and has reduced drastically.. this is may be because of many other reasons.. but that is one of them which I found very offensive.

I, when with others around, be it friends or family, have made it a habit of not to play with the phone or keep checking whatsapp etc because if I am with some one, that means the person or people is/are very important to me and he/she/they should be given the treatment, the way I would like to be treated. Fair and square[:)]

Last edited:
Rightly said everyone but then after all it gets to your personal habbits right, have faced this lot many times and have been facing too, and have had done this too before when smart phones and apps and chat messengers were over grown.
We have kept this atleast in our friends group on our regular meets where unless a call tobe received or made, no body fiddles with their handsets.The whole point of meet is to spend time with your friends, family people and atleast glad that we are able to maintain it.
Be it show off as someone said or being too much into status updates on fb, messengers, we are loosing value of relations while doing so at gatherings.
Just remembered my brother in law visited india after say some eight years and he was soo much annoyed looking at everyone here in his family, friends groups and even ours too where each one is just busy with wattsapp and facebook, heads down on handset.

Top Bottom