New Computer Monitor To Buy!! Suggestion Required

Thread Starter #1
Friends,

Recently I got with a complaint of "cervical spondylosis" and my doctor advised me to use bigger computer screen connected to my laptop along with the mouse and keyboard.

I am looking to buy a new screen around 20" and look for suggestions from members

Re: New Computer Monitor to buy !! suggestion required

Dell monitors are always good. Else try Samsung ones. We have both Dell and Samsung. in our office. Never felt any kind of strain on eyes inspite of viewing it with close distance under 1.5 feet.

Dell is a good option. The resolutions are good and shell life of the product is great

Seen a 24" Samsung S24C350HL (16:9) monitor recently at office. Try it. Its really big. So can't carry with laptop. I use Dell E190Sf 19" Monitor. It's aspect ratio is 4:3, not a 16:9 widescreen.

Last edited:

Friends,

Recently I got with a complaint of "cervical spondylosis" and my doctor advised me to use bigger computer screen connected to my laptop along with the mouse and keyboard.

I am looking to buy a new screen around 20" and look for suggestions from members
dear RK
Cervical Spondylosis does happen because of your sitting position and viewing angle.Main reason is the lack of muscle strength in the neck region ,due to which spinal discs come together. Initially it will be muscular pain.If not treated on time it becomes neural ,where neurons are pressed in between these two discs and a person may lose touch and sensitivity.
Before you go out for any new monitors ,I would advice you to stay away from long term jobs on laptops or systems.
Complete bed rest is the only solution.Didn't the doctor advice you for that?
Did they advice you a cervical collar?
How is the usage of your laptop?

If not taken care on time this can become really bad.
Screen size of the system doesn't matter .The position matters.

All this said because I had gone through this .[sad]
I got out because of rest and physio therapy.

Sorry if I had gone off topic.

bhvm

Honoured Member

get a 32 inch full HD led tv and connect it to your laptop with vga or hdmi and enjoy complete heaven. I've done that before.

Go for LG 24" IPS or Samsung 24" monitors. Why dont you try Laptop docking station where you can raise the laptop accordingly to the position you feel comfortable.

Thread Starter #8

Thank you friends for your quick response.
@general max : Yes I am using neck collar, physiotheraphy daily, rest, less time on laptop all these.(to avoid OT here, please PM me the tips you have followed to come out of that)

The seating is good, the table height is good, but due to the laptop size(14") it is not parallel to my head so I need to bend a little while working, so a good big screen will be good.

Last edited:

I had PMed you the tips.
The best monitors are made by LG ,Dell and Samsung.
Can select a 19.5 inch LED one if you are keeping the monitor at a distance of up to 1 feet.
The placement of your hands also plays a part .Hands must be relaxed and must be able to rest on the table to type on the keyboards.
Need to check the pixel density(dpi) before you take a decision if it is more than 20 inches

LG Monitors, Price in India, Reviews, Features, User Ratings, Specifications - Compare India

done a small comparison here .
cheers

19" (18.5") and 20" (19.5") are cheaper compared to 22" (21.5") monitor by almost 2,000RS, The difference between 19 & 20" is 1,000 or less. The difference between 20& 22" is 2,000+ .
(anything with .5" is a widescreen)

Service : Dell give 3 year onsite warranty. For monitors, they send a refurbished/new monitor to you and they take your faulty monitor back. It is not taking it, repair it and giving back after number of days.

While choosing a monitor, see the input options in the monitor. Some will have only DVI & HDMI, and some only with VGA and other with VGA & HDMI. You most probably need a vga port on monitor to connect your laptop (unless you have the latest laptop without VGA & with HDMI).

I always prefer Dell over other brands. For warranty related issues.
LG/Samsung/Philips are the real manufacturers of screens. You can even try Samsung or LG mentioned by others.

even samsung provides 3 years onsite warranty.
have heard reports from friends that dell service has gone on decline since they outsourced their after sales to wipro. you need to consider that too.

if you want it done as make shift. connect your laptop to your HDTV. it should suffice.

if you need it as a permanent arrangement get a basic budget PC done , with proper seating (seat with adequate support and proper desk for the PC) to help you maintain decent posture while doing computing tasks.

all depends on the budget you want to spend.

buy a 32" led or lcd and use it as a monitor. along with your neck it will be pleasant for your eyes.

Thread Starter #13

Friends

Nice suggestions, I am just looking for a alternative and bit bigger screen than the laptop for a comfort than the present.

RK Sir,
I have few questions
1. Where do you use the laptop most of the time office/home ?
2. At home do you use the laptop on a work table or on bed/sofa ?

To adjust the height of the laptop while working on a table, keep some books etc under it so that the screen is in front of your eyes and use USB keyboard and mouse. Also use proper computer chair or get a wooden chair made (with 90 degree backrest)
computer_ergonomics.jpg

Also you can buy a laptop stand, this will not affect the mobility issue, take the laptop and stand wherever you want.
st-ergonomics.gif
ltergodiagrm.jpg

If you work more too much on the machine, then do not opt for a monitor bigger than 20" as it will strain your eyes (I have faced this problem). If you buy a monitor then go for DELL or LG LED monitors

Thread Starter #15

^^Thank you for the information with pics buddy !! that laptop stand looks to be interesting.

I use only in office and not at home.

Top Bottom