How To Connect LED TV Optical Digital Out To Home Theater?

Thread Starter #1
The situation is like this

I bought a LED TV LG32LS5700 last year which has a optical digital output and I want to connect it to my old Philips Home theater system where it has two pin Audio IN.

Friends please help on this as I want to listen the TV sound through Home theater speakers with AUX

Last edited:
Re: How to connect LED TV optical digital out to Home theater ??

I bought a LED TV LG32LS5700 last year which has a optical digital output and I want to connect it to my old Philips Home theater system where it has two pin Audio IN.

Friends please help on this as I want to listen the TV sound through Home theater speakers with AUX
Get one of these Digital to Analog audio converters for a compromised SQ.
Etekcity Optical SPDIF Toslink Coaxial Digital to RCA L R Analog Audio Converter | eBay

Time to upgrade your Home theatre !:biggrin:

Thread Starter #4

your old home theatre has analog in.
so it cannot be connnected to a digital out.

use the analog out of the tv to pair with TV audio

or buy something like this

Philips Home Theatre HTD5510 Price: Buy Philips Home Theatre HTD5510 Online in India - Infibeam.com

or

Philips Home Theatre HTD5540 Price: Buy Philips Home Theatre HTD5540 Online in India - Infibeam.com
Hmm[cry]

Get one of these Digital to Analog audio converters for a compromised SQ.
Etekcity Optical SPDIF Toslink Coaxial Digital to RCA L R Analog Audio Converter | eBay

Time to upgrade your Home theatre !:biggrin:
I need to try this, but the price looks to be higher for the converter, instead I need to see if I can get some good speakers system to attach to LED. Yes that Home theater is bit old, but deliver some excellent sound bought it some 10 years back for 16K[:)]

Doesn't your TV come with a stereo (headphone) output?

Thread Starter #6

^^I need to check it, if it has that then how to use that for this purpose

You can get a connecting stereo cable at your local electronic store cheaply

^^Manoj, please see the attached file which shows exactly what it has on the rear.
Your TV doesn’t seem to have any of those analog audio outputs, since I see only a digital optical socket.
The current generation HDTVs don’t come with the analog audio outputs for a reason.
  • You may choose to get a converter as posted earlier, I am not sure of the SQ as I haven’t used it though.
  • Since you have a good HDTV, I would advise you to get a current generation Home theatre of your budget.
  • I don’t know but you may also get a receiver/amplifier with HDMI/Optical cable in and use it with the existing speakers if they are that good.

RK@

As Manoj said, It is the time to change the Home theater. Since there is no other sound output options available other than optical in TV, you can try any of this below.

No cost option

If you are not interested to spent for Home theater and you are only using DTH/STP/DVD, then you can straightly connect the sound output of this devices to home theater using the ordinary audio/head phone jack.The cons are
* you have to change the inputs of HT through remote.(If different input options are not available in HT, then you have to manually change the connections each time.)
* You cant connect TV output to HT, so you have no option, if you watching movie through the USB port in TV.

Converter Option

It is costly and nothing available in market other than the products in online sites.
There is no guarantee in sound quality.

Changing the Home Theatre
* it is the best option> Today most of the Home theatre products range starting from Rs.5K have co axial/optical/stero/dolby inputs.

2 years before i bought a Airtel HD DTH connection and to experience the DTS sound output of HD channels, i had no option in My home theatre, though it had a 5.1 input which i using for my DVD. I bought a Mitsun branded HT which has so many input options(2 stereo jack input for TV & Aux, 2 co axial inputs which i connected to DVD & HD DTH, 2 optical inputs & 1 Dolby 5.1 input) and good sound output with High Bass. I cant use the half of its volume in my home.When i increase the volume more than that most of the windows, doors & mirrors starts to vibrates.It costed me only Rs.9K.the exact model i selected was not showing in the site though, i posted the link of a variant which almost look alike. Mine was the topend product of their at tht time.
:: MITSUN ::
MIT-X11 (11000W PMPO)
the thing i like in My HT is, when i change channels in DTH through remote(HD channels to Sd channels), My HT automatically change to DTS/Dolby/Pro(Stereo) as per the input(which we can see in HT display) which gets from DTH [a single pair stereo jack(the ordinary L R jack. 'red jack to DTH co axial output & white jack to DVD co axial output. The other end of these jacks to the coaxial 1 & 2 inputs of HT ) i used to connect to HT from DTH and DVD as co axial inputs]. Like the same whenever i use USB/DVD/CD or change the sound output in DVD also.

Last edited:

I can understand your situation, as a I had a similar one rather worsen last year. My wife gifted me with my long time ambitious Home Theater Set Up. It was Onkyo 3400, the HT Set-up alone costing 27K + Philips Blu-ray Player for 2.5K as a combo with HT (MRP was 6K otherwise). However, the surprise, rather shock appears when I unpacked the Blu-ray. It had only HDMI & Coaxial out whereas I had our Samsung CRT TV which has only the normal RCA Cable input (Red, White & Yellow) [frustration]

Tried working on such options of "Conversion" cable from Coaxial to RCA, but nothing was feasible. I finally decided to give away the TV and buy a Sony LED for the same price of the Home Theater [lol] Well, after buying the TV, I thought of an easy idea of Connecting Blu-Ray to HT thru HDMI and then Video out to CRT TV from HT. Not sure whether it would work, but didn't try and as I already have sold it, consoled myself that it won't work!

Now back to your story. Any reason that you want to take the Audio out from the TV to HT? How about working it this way? This is how I have it.

Set Top Box / DVD Player ---> Video to TV & Audio to HT - with this you always need to have the HT on for audio. I hope you are looking for TV to HT option for the same reason to not have the HT on always. Right? But this is the best solution for your problem without spending a buck!

Thread Starter #13
Thank you friends for your great suggestions, so now the conclusion seems to be I need to buy a good latest speakers and connect them to TV for a good sound experience.

@Figoian,

I do not use a DVD any more as most of the movies I watch from the USB stick directly pined to the TV set.

The connection is like Cable>Set top box>TV. So here I need to disconnect the audio(red,white) from Set top box to TV and connect them from set top box to the home theater audio IN where I need to keep HT ON whenever I switch on the TV. Is this correct ??

Why I am trying to connect the audio out to HT because for regular channels the TV sound is good enough, but while watching some good songs on TV or when Watching a good movie I felt the need to good sound output is missing.

@Figoian,

I do not use a DVD any more as most of the movies I watch from the USB stick directly pined to the TV set.

The connection is like Cable>Set top box>TV. So here I need to disconnect the audio(red,white) from Set top box to TV and connect them from set top box to the home theater audio IN where I need to keep HT ON whenever I switch on the TV. Is this correct ??

Why I am trying to connect the audio out to HT because for regular channels the TV sound is good enough, but while watching some good songs on TV or when Watching a good movie I felt the need to good sound output is missing.
Yes. Your understanding is perfect. That's the simple and best solution without a cost.

BTW, if you will watch USB Playback from TV, then you can't use HT as the TV to HT audio is what missing here. Otherwise, do you have HDMI out from TV and In to HT? If so, that would solve your basic problem.

get something like this

and use the two audio pins of the HT on this with the single end going into the heapdphone jack of the tv

Top Bottom