Question About Google Maps App for Mobile: Reducing Functionality?

Thread Starter #1
Hello Experts,

As the title said, Just recently I encounter there is a feature silently remove from the Google Maps App which I going to describe below with pictures so that you get clear idea.
I tested this feature in my Andriod (Samy G.Grand)as well as iOS (Ipad 4) and it is not there.

Reason to creating this thread in this forum - This is a Automobile Forum and many fellow members do the Long Trip with GPS device and may notice this as well get some alternative way around.

Earlier (2 years ago) I create maps like this in my Computer browser after 'Log In' to the Google Account.

Gmaps.jpg

And it is instantly available ON ROAD when I open G Maps at the mobile and 'Log In' to the same account from the mobile device. I clearly remember it is under the 'My Maps' Option / Popup Menu and I choose my desired one among all older maps I created. Sometimes (after a new version release) it is deep buried under 1or 2 stage but it is always there somewhere.

But now where is this feature ?

Screenshot_2013-12-28-13-17-13.png

After opening the menu

Screenshot_2013-12-28-13-10-45.png

3rd stage digging the menu

Screenshot_2013-12-28-13-14-29.png

And the Mpas History Shows nothing but the Maps / Area I browsed in that mobile device in the previous session.

To prove my point I used this system since year 2009 , then back it was Nokia N82 Symbian phone with Gmaps installed after that it was Galaxy Y 5360.

Here is proof : The first map I create to pinpoint a location in 2009.

All Maps.png

Tried to search Google / read there help file and send feedback to them but no use, I post this thread here as if any one find any solution/alternate way as I see many Android expert out there.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
Re: Question About Google Maps App for Mobile - Reducing Functionality ?

Thanks edios for posting the solution, It won't work for me but thanks for helping

I'm able to go upto 4th stage where I can drop a Pin property listing , But then can't figure out what to do to bring a popup which will let me choose to open Gmaps App.

I'm trying this past 45 mins.

Screenshot_2013-12-28-18-02-22.png

And if I click the below link I'm directed to this page

Screenshot_2013-12-28-18-27-29.png

Last edited:

I was just going to try that on iPad, so opened Google Maps and it showed this at the startup. Maybe this was what you're talking about?

Attachments

Last edited:
Thread Starter #6

I was just going to try that on iPad, so opened Google Maps and it showed this at the startup. Maybe this was what you're talking about?
No,the start up screenshot just you provided nothing but Google ask to Log In to your account before you start using the Gmap App to your mobile device so they have your complete browsing details with them and thus help them display suitable Ad (Google Ad) and generate their revenue. User also get benefited from this also - Browse a location at your Computer Browser and the same location can be browse on Mobile / Tablet just visiting 'Maps History' option.

The Link you post in the 2nd post in this tread is the reverse way around (actual solution) what I asked for but sadly it not works anymore thanks to Google Stupid update.

What I want / What Google Maps and GMaps offered in their infant version was

1. Say I plan to take Road Trip from Kolkata to Delhi and want to stick on GQs.
2. Fire up my Laptop Browser -> Go To google maps dot com - > Log in there with my Google account.
3. Browse the location ->Right click on the map -> click -> Direction from here and start dropping pins from Kolkata to Delhi on the top of National Highways.
And this is not small but huge time consuming task.
4.Once it done, I can save this work under 'My places' as a new map with name.
Say 'Kol-To-Del-GQ'. It saves into as kml file.

(In my first post screenshot 1 is the one of such file and the screenshot 5 is total I made since year 2009)

5.Now when I hit the road with my phone / tablet I can just fire up the Gmaps app -> Log In to my Google Account if not signed up. Then Go to Option / Settings -> navigate to 'My Maps' and baaam there is 'Kol-To-Del-GQ' route plan along with your other older maps (If I created any earlier). Tap to Select the desired one.

Now you can see in 'Kol-To-Del-GQ' map / route plan in your phone / tablet screen along with your GPS location (as you Turn On the GPS), it is readily available then and there.

But now with latest & greatest Gmaps App You don't have the privilege to execute the step number 5. They decided to remove it.

Top Bottom