Best Anti-Virus Software For Windows. Suggestions?

Thread Starter #1
Fellas - I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with Windows 7 Home Edition and currently loaded with Trend Micro Anti-Virus. The subscription is due for renewal in a couple weeks and it's found to be quite expensive this year Rs. 1079, which was something about 800 last year. So, unlike our Car Insurance, this is appreciating [lol] That gave me some thoughts, should I look for a different one with better features, mainly robust protection in a lesser price?

Also, I have been experiencing slow, rather extremely dead slow response from this Laptop for more than year. Didn't get time [lol] to get that checked or reformatted. However, I heard even the Anti-Virus slows down the computer. Is that the case with Trend Micro (TM)? Before TM, I had Kaspersky's trial pack which made the Laptop slower than a snail. When I uninstalled it and moved to TM, it worked better, rather good. But again, slowed down eventually. Not concluding that TM is the cause, but maybe.

So, looking for suggestions, a good, reliable, robust, efficient and less expensive Anti-Virus. Please pour in ASAP since I need to renew it in a week's time.

BTW, how about Microsoft's Security Essential? That being free, isn't it efficient? But why would they recommend others in their official page? Windows 7: Consumer security software providers

Thread Starter #3
Re: Best Anti-Virus Software for Windows - Suggestions?

Thanks MSN1.

BTW, I just realized that my subscription with Trend Micro is with Auto Renewal every year... [surprise] I now remember that even last year it was renewed like that. I am trying to disable it, but couldn't find any such options. Any help here?

Thanks MSN1.

BTW, I just realized that my subscription with Trend Micro is with Auto Renewal every year... [surprise] I now remember that even last year it was renewed like that. I am trying to disable it, but couldn't find any such options. Any help here?
auto renewal means with out your knowledge they taken money from your account and renewed it
or is it a lifetime free subscription...

if no option there to stop auto renewal then remove the trend antivirus and for time being use avast or avira till getting a suitable a/v kit for your system

Thread Starter #5

auto renewal means with out your knowledge they taken money from your account and renewed it
or is it a lifetime free subscription...

if no option there to stop auto renewal then remove the trend antivirus and for time being use avast or avira till getting a suitable a/v kit for your system
It's like, automatically renewed using the credit card information provided during purchase. How about the security passwords etc.? I don't remember how I handled it last year. Worst case, I should ask the bank to disallow this?

It's like, automatically renewed using the credit card information provided during purchase. How about the security passwords etc.? I don't remember how I handled it last year. Worst case, I should ask the bank to disallow this?
[angry] O My God a so called security software stealing money from bank account and calling it as renewal

I was searching for antivirus kit since past 2 months,

As previously used avg subscription expired, time being using avira free amtivirus... it is something is better than nothing, just now ordered kaspersky internet security 2014 from flipkart

PCMAG

First of all completely format the VIAO hard drive with fresh copy of Windows 7 Home edition, It will speed up your laptop to 95% increment.

Along side with all driver you also need the 'VIAO Control Center' utility, else you don't need any bloatware pre-installed at factory fitted VIAO hdd (Like VIAO Gate,Picture Story, Movie etc etc) . So Download all necessary Driver and Utility beforehand.

The best free protection combo You get for windows : - (install one by one)

1. Avira Antivirus Free version (Personal / Home Version)
2. Comodo Firewall + Internet Security Free version (Personal / Home Version)

after this
3. Optional - Microsoft's Security Essential

--------

For Bank transaction use Windows 7 On screen Keyboard all the time when login credential needed. As well you can also use 'Comodo Dragon' browser if you too paranoid.

Don't click or go any suspicious link or website to invite trouble in your life.
---------

In my home we got two VIAOs around (E-Series).

I have used all free antivirus like Avira, Avast, AVG and paid ones like BitDefender, Trend, Nod32 and currently Kaspersky. I think Nod32 is the best if you want paid. Download the software and buy licence online from day Flipkart, it's cheaper around Rs.300 for 1 year.
You can also purchase the full security suite but i have never used this.
User a safe browser like Firefox and clean temporary files regularly.
Nod32 will not slow down the computer, try the trial pack for a Month.

Last edited:
The best paid antivirus are:
1. Quickheal
2. Kaspersky
These both are tested by me on 100s of our clients PCs
For free usage, you can go for Avast Free Antivirus and install Advanced System Care alongwith.
Advanced SystemCare Ultimate 6 Download, IObit antivirus, Top PC Security and Maintenance Tool
This utility tweaks up the PC and removes any spyware and malware.
To save your PC from antiviruses from Pen drives install USB disc security
Download USB Disk Security
This cleans up all viruses/malwares from any USB storage device.

Norton is the best with very frequent updates. But it is memory savvy. It occupies majority of the cache. I would suggest mcafee which is on par with Norton and occupies less memory in comparison.

I've been using combination of AVG free + Zone Alarm firewall from last 10+ years and touch-wood, not even a single intrusion.

If you are looking for total security, the best is Norton 360

I use Norton 360 (Internet security/firewall + Antivirus) found to be the best & least false positive alert. Scan time/launch time is much better than many others.

Kaspersky Internet security is great as well.

This is based on my experience & Benchmark software (passmark) http://www.passmark.com/ftp/totalprotectionsuites-may2013.pdf (The most trusted benchmark site) (Page 48 for complete security)

Webroot internet security also looks good (never used).

In the following table the highest possible score attainable is 85; in a hypothetical situation where a product has attained first place in all 17 metrics. Total Security products have been ranked by their overall scores:
Product Name Overall Score
Norton 360 68
Kaspersky PURE 2.0 57
Trend Micro Maximum Security 2013 48
Bitdefender Total Security 2013 43
McAfee Total Protection 2013 39
EDIT: Forgot to mention - Using Symantec products from 2000 onwards (even during times it was eating up the system resources like hell (2004-2007)) . Used other products 15-30 days and found annoying at times.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for all the suggestions. So, Norton 360 is better? Seems it's a bit expensive compared to others.

BTW, I wrote to Trend Micro yesterday on the Auto Renewal and received a response today that the Auto Renewal is disabled for my account now. Surprised with such a prompt response.

Top Bottom