Review: Chrome Cast. New Product By Google

Thread Starter #1
Hey guys just thought to share a short review of Google Chrome Cast.

As the name says the product is from Google.

Its a tiny device like a pen drive, with USB port to plug into TV.

A HDMI cable is in turn plugged to this device to turn your smart TV, into an intelligent hub for viewing videos from Youtube into your big screen.

With Wi-Fi as a medium.

So far the device supports streaming through YouTube, Netflix, Google Music and Google Video.

You can also browse on your Mac/Ipad/ Laptop, and view on your large screen.

Chrome Cast (35 $) can be compared with Apple TV(100 $).

Both have pro's and cons.

I have just started exploring this.

Will update more on this as i explore more....

1-049.jpg

2-050.jpg

3-051.jpg

4-052.jpg

Re: Chrome Cast - A New Product From Google.

Does this stick mirror the phone's screen always OR only when a compatible app (say YouTube) is opened?

Thread Starter #3

Does this stick mirror the phone's screen always OR only when a compatible app (say YouTube) is opened?
Nope buddy you can receive a call. The app runs in the background.
Once you cast a video, it has no interruption to the device you are using.
I am currently replying to you while casting a YouTube video to HD TV.
Once you cast that runs on tv, it will not mirror the device screen.

I received a call, clicked the pic, and now typing this post.
image.jpg

Last edited:

Once you cast a video, it has no interruption to the device you are using.
I am currently replying to you while casting a YouTube video to HD TV.
Once you cast that runs on tv, it will not mirror the device screen.

I received a call, clicked the pic, and now typing this post.
View attachment 111253
I have my eyes on this since the launch. It was a total sellout on bestbuy . Have ordered will get it on 16 th oct. I have an Apple TV I use to stream content n this is way to small n economical.[clap]just waiting now [:D]

Wasn't asking about receiving a call buddy. What I meant that, can it always show the mobile's screen (for eg. a laptop connected to a TV simply mirrors everything) on the TV or only the videos played on a mobile device could be seen?

Thread Starter #6

Wasn't asking about receiving a call buddy. What I meant that, can it always show the mobile's screen (for eg. a laptop connected to a TV simply mirrors everything) on the TV or only the videos played on a mobile device could be seen?
Hi freakdude, hope the link addresses your queries.

Tips for making the most of Google Chromecast

I had tried on my iPhone, yet to mirror my laptop(Vaio Windows 7).

However bro's Mac Book Pro(Retina Display) was able to mirror the screen, its nothing but an extension in your Chrome browser that allows you to cast the screen.

Last edited:

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Help Regarding Google Chromecast!!

hii , i was interested to buy this product. i was getting confused so wanted to get a detailed answer.

i have 2 devices , nexus 5 and sony xperia sp. i watched videos in which i can see users using nexus 5 to cast the screen.

i checked this link and it says only some phones are supported and ios devices aren't supported.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en-IN&ref_topic=2995192

but then i saw this video and the person is using an ios device to cast the screen to the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfNTeYN3yU

am i missing something ? i just wanted to know can i see what's opened in my xperia SP's chrome browser on the TV ?

Re: Help regarding google chromecast !!

hii , i was interested to buy this product. i was getting confused so wanted to get a detailed answer.

i have 2 devices , nexus 5 and sony xperia sp. i watched videos in which i can see users using nexus 5 to cast the screen.

i checked this link and it says only some phones are supported and ios devices aren't supported.

https://support.google.com/chromecast/answer/6059461?hl=en-IN&ref_topic=2995192

but then i saw this video and the person is using an ios device to cast the screen to the TV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKfNTeYN3yU

am i missing something ? i just wanted to know can i see what's opened in my xperia SP's chrome browser on the TV ?
It does support ios. I use it with my iphone 5s.

You can mirror the entire screen, whatever app or game it is. But it requires root I guess.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member

It does support ios. I use it with my iphone 5s.
So you just installed the chromecast app and nothing else ? Did you face any problem or any disadvantage?

You can mirror the entire screen, whatever app or game it is. But it requires root I guess.
That's not a problem. The main thing is it should work on my sp. I searched a lot yesterday but couldn't find the answer.

Hello Experts,

Can any body predict / actual info about this -

1.What is the minimum Bandwidth requirement (speed of the Internet Connection) to work Google Cast to work properly / smothly ?

2. Is it going to work in 3G Connection ?

3. Is it true Google Cast Always require Internet On when Streaming Local media from Laptop To TV ?

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
@ arijitb - i have 8 mbps connection ( 1 mbps download and upload speed) works great without any lag.
but the cast screen option lags a little bit.

2. you'll have to use wifi hotspot since chromecast only works on wifi. ( as far as i know )

3. yes it will require internet since laptop will upload to the chromecast whatever you need to see on the tv.

allhyundaicars

Honoured Member
Have been using the chromecast for more than 2 years and it's a smart little device. turning your TV to a smart one.
ordered the second generation for my second TV and received it today for 3200rs.

The first generation works flawlessly with Applications supporting the cast feature but if i use normal phone cast there's a little bit lag in playing videos.
hope this doesn't happen in the second generation. will update after using it for a while.

Attachments

Top Bottom