Canon Pixma MP287 - Review

Thread Starter #1
Hello guys. So, due to the increasing projects and the need for colour images and documents, I decided to buy a new printer. I had a HP Deskjet D1668 printer which went kaput in 3 months. I also had sent it to the HP Service center multiple times. They couldn't recitfy the problem and also weren't ready to replace it. So, I was fed up of this and it was then lying in a corner for about 3 years. Now, in 2013 the need for a printer increased so I started researching printers. I had a budget of Rs.3500. Also I liked the usability of multi function printers. The contenders were
- HP Deskjet 1050
- Canon Pixma MP287
- Epson Stylus - TX 121
I did not want to go for HP because of the bad experience with the printer. I had problems with availability for Epson printer. I was a bit biased with Canon because of using their fabulous Digital Cameras. So decided to buy Pixma MP 287. Placed the order on amazon.in to seller G.K Vale & Company on 19th July and got it on 24th July. The printer when recieved was very heavy and weighed 8 kilos with the boxing (my OLD HP weighed almost half). But, anyways I was concerned with the functions, durability and ease of use of the printer.
The printer had the following features
- Print + Scan + Copy
- Max Print resolution - 4800 x 1200 dpi
- Optical scanning resolution 1200 x 2400 dpi
- CIS (Contact Image Sensor) for the scanner
- Fine Printing Technology
And, other many details which I don't want to get into

Some Pictures (sorry for bad pictures because of bad camera)

The printer has a good shape and looks good in black
IMG_0631.jpg

The panel with buttons for Scan, Colour Print, Black and White Print, No. of Paper
IMG_0635.jpg

Inside the scanner lid
IMG_0636.jpg

The opening tray opened (printer accumulates a lot of dust)
IMG_0637.jpg

Tray to load paper
IMG_0638.jpg

Location of cartridges (C for Colour Cartridge and B for Black Catridge)
IMG_0639.jpg

Cartridge tray opened (Supports PG 810 and CL 811)\
IMG_0642.jpg

Overall, this printer is highly recommended for his print quality and value for money.
Pros
- Print + Scan + Copy function
- Low price
- Good print quality
- Good scan quality
- Easy to use

Cons
- Expensive cartridges (doesn't deter me because I don't print much)
- No protection cover provided by Canon (results in accumulation of dust)

There's a smart solution for expensive cartridges. Get them refilled or buy a refill kit to do it yourself. I too was fed up of buying expensive cartridges. Then I got a refill kit for Rs 500 from ebay. I have been using the same cartridge since last one and half year. Moderate printing use. Printer manufacturers say using refilled cartridges damage printers. All that is crap.
BTW, I have Canon MG 2170.

Congratulations for your purchase and thanks for the review.
How long are you using this printer?

Previously, the multi function printer means - > Print + Scan + Fax
Now, they Add an 'EXTRA' feature of 'Copy'
Selling strategy. Copy is nothing but 'Scan & Print' and it costs more than the 1re which we pay at local photocopy store.

If you are an user who use scanner much, then it is worth the purchase. Because, some scanner itself costs this price.

Sad to hear about HP problem. They should have replaced the printer for you. SAD !

Thread Starter #4
There's a smart solution for expensive cartridges. Get them refilled or buy a refill kit to do it yourself. I too was fed up of buying expensive cartridges. Then I got a refill kit for Rs 500 from ebay. I have been using the same cartridge since last one and half year. Moderate printing use. Printer manufacturers say using refilled cartridges damage printers. All that is crap.
Yes I will get it refilled from refilling shops. I am planning to replace the cartridge after 5-6 times it is refilled. How often should I replace the cartridge? Do they have any life span of any sort?

Thread Starter #5
Congratulations for your purchase and thanks for the review.
How long are you using this printer?

Previously, the multi function printer means - > Print + Scan + Fax
Now, they Add an 'EXTRA' feature of 'Copy'
Selling strategy. Copy is nothing but 'Scan & Print' and it costs more than the 1re which we pay at local photocopy store.

If you are an user who use scanner much, then it is worth the purchase. Because, some scanner itself costs this price.

Sad to hear about HP problem. They should have replaced the printer for you. SAD !
Yes, I was very disappointed with HP for their service and also their printers. Due to the scanning feature, I have started scanning very often and it has been useful for me. The price of a Canon Scanner is approx Rs 3500 which is same to my printer. Yes, copying costs more than Re 1 on the printer so I do it at the photocopying store.

nozzlering & others,

need your help & input please

I have this printer below, Can you please guide me where I can buy a REFILL KIT & which one is suitable for this? Thanks

HP Deskjet 2000 - J210 Single Function Inkjet Printer

HP Deskjet 1000 - J110a Single Function Inkjet Printer - HP: Flipkart.com

Last edited:

Top Bottom