Buying a New Digital Camera Under Rs.7.5K (Urgent)

Thread Starter #1
Fellow TAI'ians, I need some urgent advice as to which Digital camera to buy for my Dad. Its my parents anniversary tomorrow and want to gift them a digital camera as our previous digi cam got lost about 2 months back when we left it at a restaurant in Dalhousie, happens to be the second one to be lost within a year and that's why don't want to spend much on this as I am not sure how many months the new one will survive.[frustration]

We had a Sony Cybershot before(don't know the specific model) and were happy with the overall picture quality and results. Today checked in the market Sony Cybershot W730 with 16.2 pixels Carl zeiss camera with 8x optical zoom and its available for Rs. 7k. Is there any better camera in that range or should I go forward with this one only. Please advice.

Re: Urgent help needed to choose a Digital camera within Rs. 7.5k

I'm using Sony Cybershot w570 for past 2 years, The clarity is really Excellent & No issues faced so far with it.

So You can go ahead with W730 [:)]

Thread Starter #3
Thanks a lot Appu. Here is one I found online on snapdeal. Its Sony cybershot X50. The only difference I could make out was this one has Full HD recording as compared to partial HD in W730. But this one has 5x optical zoom as compared to 8x in W730. [confused]

Sony DSC-WX50 Point & Shoot 16.2 MP Camera at Best Price | Snapdeal.com
(Just for the reference, can't buy online. Don't have the time for it.)

Though I don't think so we'll be doing any video recording on this. Didn't do it on the previous one's either. So W730 with more optical zoom should be a better bet. What say?

Thanks a lot Appu. Here is one I found online on snapdeal. Its Sony cybershot X50. The only difference I could make out was this one has Full HD recording as compared to partial HD in W730. But this one has 5x optical zoom as compared to 8x in W730. [confused]

(Just for the reference, can't buy online. Don't have the time for it.)

Though I don't think so we'll be doing any video recording on this. Didn't do it on the previous one's either. So W730 with more optical zoom should be a better bet. What say?
I feel W730 this camera is not bad for capturing for Video. But, sure HD will make some difference.

If you capture some videos, then go for X50.

though, the full zoom at 8x in W730 will never provide that much clarity.

Here is the Video I took during my Rameshwaram trip with w570(5x)
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=614063901971729&set=o.319690688144749&type=2&theater

Thread Starter #5
Hey Appu, finally had bought the Sony Cybershot WX60 for Rs.8700 . The advantage over the Sony Cybershot W730 was that this one has Full HD video recording plus this one has Exmor R CMOS sensor which is helpful in taking pictures in low light, similar to the ones find in DSLR's. Really happy with the picture quality both in bright light as well as at night time. And the best part I like about these digital camera's is that they are pretty handy to carry around anywhere too.

Good buy. I did not even see this thread to respond. I would have suggested you to go for a CMOS sensor camera over CCD for low light pics. I have a WX1 from sony as point & shoot. Gives great photos . Congratulations on your purchase and Belated anniversary wishes for your parents :)

Congrats frnd for your new camera, I too in a hurry to purchase one camera, I don't know more about cam- my budget can be extended up to 15k. Need your help and suggestions
Thanks in advance .

Congrats frnd for your new camera, I too in a hurry to purchase one camera, I don't know more about cam- my budget can be extended up to 15k. Need your help and suggestions
Thanks in advance .
Is this primarily for everyone's use? Or, You have some passion towards photography? Looking for a compact one?

If you are more interested in photography and used only by you, do not worry much about size etc - Think of a DSLR :)
If its everyday use and looking for a compact camera where you do not have to change much settings, go for a Point & Shoot camera

If you are taking low light photos, consider a camera with CMOS Sensor.
Consider a good lens (Carl Zeiss, Nikkor etc) than 16MegaPixel or 22Megapixel.

If you have shortlisted & wanted to decided out of them, please post the models !

Check flipkart/amazon for user reviews & dpreview for camera review.
Once you buy, do not bother what others say. Just enjoy clicking :)

Thread Starter #9
Good buy. I did not even see this thread to respond. I would have suggested you to go for a CMOS sensor camera over CCD for low light pics. I have a WX1 from sony as point & shoot. Gives great photos . Congratulations on your purchase and Belated anniversary wishes for your parents :)
Thanks a lot appus for the wishes. Yes the CMOS sensors does make a big difference when clicking pics in low light. I guess my earlier Cybershot didn't have this and there is a noticeable difference. For Point & Shoot, this one seems to be decent for the money you put in.

Thanks in advance .
Thanks a lot. If you want it for family use, go for a Point & Shoot camera. I had seen a Sony Cybershot WX200 which comes with Sony G lens and CMOS sensors and 18.2 Megapixels and 20x optical zoom for RS. 12,700. This seemed to be the best buy in that budget. Else if you are fond of Photography yourself and like fiddling around with the settings as appus said, better look for a DSLR.

@ Appu
Please see my selection and advise
My favourite is Nikon S4300, I love the touchscreen option

1) Nikon S4300
2) Nikon S4200
3) Canon A3400
4) Canon IXUS 510
5) Sony DSCWX50
6) Panasonic Lumix FH22

Budget 5 - 10k,
sending you the links below...

Not in the top six are

7) Nikon S4400
8) Nikon S4150
9) Nikon S01
10) Nikon S1100PJ
11) Canon ixus 240
12) Canon A2300
13) Canon A2500
14) Canon IXUS 132
15) Panasonic Lumix FH27
16) Panasonic DMC FP7

Please advise.

@ Appu
Please see my selection and advise
My favourite is Nikon S4300, I love the touchscreen option

1) Nikon S4300
2) Nikon S4200
3) Canon A3400
4) Canon IXUS 510
5) Sony DSCWX50
6) Panasonic Lumix FH22

Budget 5 - 10k,
sending you the links below...

Not in the top six are

7) Nikon S4400
8) Nikon S4150
9) Nikon S01
10) Nikon S1100PJ
11) Canon ixus 240
12) Canon A2300
13) Canon A2500
14) Canon IXUS 132
15) Panasonic Lumix FH27
16) Panasonic DMC FP7

Please advise.
Something weird happened. I saw your PM. Just responded there. Hope you got it. Now, I saw your posting here. So i thought of taking the same from sent items & posting it here, that is not there

Let me know whether you got the same. If not, I will remember & type the whole thing here. I typed a whole lot of things
[cry]

I am appus with Swift Dzire from Bangalore & not AppU who got a beautiful Vista (whity) from Vellore

EDIT : I got it from history of firefox (strange). was not in sent items though

Here comes my reply ;)

Regarding the phone.
Touch screens are really nice. But, if touch goes bad, you do not have any other option other than replacing the whole panel for almost 80% price of the Original camera's price.

Are you looking for low light photos also ? Or only photos at day light ? If you are looking for low light photos, you can consider CMOS sensor instead of CCD

Sony CyberShot DSC-WX50 Point & Shoot vs Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX60 Point & Shoot vs Nikon Coolpix S5200 Point & Shoot: Compare Cameras: Flipkart.com

Then comes, about optical zoom.
Are you interested in zooming and taking pictures? Then second one out of the three gives a 8x optical zoom.

Anything above or equal to 10MP is a good camera (with good lens) if they have other good features like CMOS sensor etc.

Aperture RangeF2.6 - F6.3 for WX50 is a good spec. You may get a better light even at low light. Only -ve i found with WX50 is 19MB inbuilt memory.

Before that, you can go to any store and check these cameras, that would be an added plus for your buying decision.

It was 7400 two days back with discount at Flipkart. May be they have increased the price
Snapdeal is selling for 7500
I am not getting any coupon from snapdeal or it would have been cheaper atleast by 500 :(

If you ask me which camera I would be going if i have a budget of 10K, I would have thought of a camera with Sony G lens and paying 1700 extra ;)

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-WX150 Point & Shoot - Sony: Flipkart.com
You can read the reviews from users who bought it. Almost 5 star out of 90 + reviews.

I have WX-1 which is sony G lens which i bought for 12K or so. Bought when they stopped it. Now also, they sell it at 14K where ever available.

If you want to buy canon/nikon, please see whether they are rechargeable battery than the normal AA/AAA batteries.

All the best for your purchase. Check for shopclues/tradus/snapdeal/ebay/flipkart for the price difference. If you have finalized, share the model and will try to get the cheapest possible rate with a decent online shop

:)

Last edited:
Thread Starter #15
@GM88

Congrats for your new camera !! can you please post some pics taken that
Thanks a lot Gurrala74. I will surely post some pics taken from the new camera. Right now my Mom-Dad are out on a road-trip to Jammu and Kashmir and the camera is with them. The moment they are back which will mostly be on 14th Sept, will upload a few pics taken by them from the camera.

Top Bottom