Need To Update To a Super Smart Phone!

Thread Starter #1
Guys, I am planning to buy a new smartphone. Till now, I have been using Sony products like the Xperia X10 and Xperia S. Now, I am looking for an upgrade. My priorities are-

1) Android only. No iOS or Windows.
2) Good screen size, but not too big. 5" plus minus a few inches is ideal.
3) Great camera, that is important for me.
4) Good looks and premium feel.
5) Good list of useful features.

Now budget is not a big constraint. I have shortlisted the Samsung S4 and Sony Xperia Z. I am not considering the HTC One as it has a poor camera.

I like the S4 for its features and that it is better than the Z in almost every aspect. But for that price, it looks too similar to the S3 and also has a ordinary plastic body. Does not feel premium at all. Also, I have heard Samsung phones have issues.

While the Z is not very feature rich, I like the fact that it looks premium with its glass panels and clean fascia with no hardware buttons. But I know that the Samsung beats it in every aspect except looks! Also, I dont care about it being waterproof but I guess I will hate the fact that it has all its ports closed with airtight flaps, which can be a huge inconvenience for daily use.

I am so confused!

Re: Need to upgrade to a super smart phone!

My suggestion is to wait for the next year. S4 and Z has nothing revolutionary or useful compared to your good old phone.

Re: Need to upgrade to a super smart phone!

yes Raj, if you can wait, do so by next year you would get better options in market compared to whats available today.
Else as you said the best available today are S4, Z to choose from.

And after that, if he waits for one more year, further better options will be available in market!!

Technology is ever advancing. What is in now, is inevitable to be outdated soon. I would suggest to go for S4, as it very well fulfills all your requirements.

Thread Starter #5
Exactly. I do know that the S4 and Z is not a B-I-G step up from the Xperia S, but then if I keep waiting, newer phones will keep coming in the market.

I need to buy something by this month end.

Thread Starter #7
Hi Raja, I was waiting for your inputs!

The Z Ultra is ridiculously big at 6+ inches.

The Honami seemed to be perfect for me, but it will be unveiled on September 3rd and will probably come to stores by end of Sept. Cant wait till then!

To be honest, I find the debate about poor viewing angles quite foolish, as I would always view my phone straight on!

Last edited:
In my opinion, the Xperia Z is really not a good choice over an Xperia S.
Waiting for the Honami will be a good idea. But since you are not ready to wait, I suggest you to go for the S4.

Last edited:
the xperia z will cost you a bomb if something in it goes wrong by accident.

that because it has to much spent on waterproofing the phone.

again that may be a hypothetical case, but one should be aware of that.
same with the HTC one for being a unibody phone.

. you can look for a s4. it should have a lot of ROM development support.

the xperia z will cost you a bomb if something in it goes wrong by accident.

that because it has to much spent on waterproofing the phone.

again that may be a hypothetical case, but one should be aware of that.
same with the HTC one for being a unibody phone.

. you can look for a s4. it should have a lot of ROM development support.
the most churlish argument i am hearing for not buying a phone

HTC one is the best phone of 2013 as of now, S4 does not even stand next to it.

the most churlish argument i am hearing for not buying a phone

HTC one is the best phone of 2013 as of now, S4 does not even stand next to it.
also for the fact that after sales of HTC in india is not their selling point. maybe in UK it wont be that bad with phone available on contract etc.

just wanted to mention points for consideration.

also for the fact that after sales of HTC in india is not their selling point. maybe in UK it wont be that bad with phone available on contract etc.

just wanted to mention points for consideration.
issues can happen with samsung/ nokia /sony/ htc/ mmx blah blah also.

what matters is the build quality. HTC One/ Sony Z /S4 ie all flagships have less chance of going bad unless you mishandle them and the screen breaks or a bad pixels happens etc etc. They have build their reputation over time.

Sony takes pride in its water proof designs, HTC ONE is all aluminum just like Iphone. Samsung believes in filling the phones with features which you or me will never use but sticks to one design for all in plastic. Nokia is all about camera and W8.

All maintain a standard which is same for a phone sold in USA or UK or uganda.

all have a unique selling point and the purchase should be governed by that parameter. The low cost brands in india like mmx/lava/karbonn/spice/ are mostly found in third world countries and china coz they are made in a particular budget. that explains the issue with these phones.

Some of these low cost phones are pretty good which also depends from where they are sources. a ZTE or lenova or intex will be rated many times higher than these cheap ones.

Last edited:

Top Bottom