Difference Between 3rd Gen i7 and 4th Gen Core i7?

3rd gen core i processors were the previous generation processors launched last year.4th generation core i processors are the latest series of processors launched this june.

to differentiate,
3rd gen is based on a micro-architecture named ivy bridge and has a die size of 22nm.

Present 4th gen is based on latest haswell micro-architecture and has a die size of 22 nm.Intel claims that this new micro-architecture is more energy efficient and gives more performance.

According to some tech-websites 4th gen core processors are on an average 5% more performing than previous gen processors.
4th generation processors are much improved on their integrated gpu part which enables them to perform well in 3d applications and games.
There are also many other differences in their designs and efficiency part.

And to sum up if you want to know all difference just do a google search on it.

If you are planning to buy one ,then you can choose from any of them based on your requirements.
If your requirements are more performance and heavy graphics and has the budget to pay premium, go for 4th gen processors.
If your main concern is budget, you can get some discount on 3rd gen based computers.Actually performance improvements are too hard for an average user to experience or find out.

Have the 4th gen intel based laptops released in India yet?
Yes sony vaio pro 11 and 13 have haswell chips in it . And I think even the new MacBook airs ( which iam not very sure if they are launched )

Last edited:
Sony VAIO Pro 11 P11213SN/B Netbook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 128GB SSD/ Win8) - Sony: Flipkart.com

I copy pasted that in google and found 100s of links. (even though i knew it is available) 4th gen.jpg

Nothing against you or other asks these kind of questions.
If you ask, how to do it, which one should i go for , etc makes some sense than asking a general question as this is not a technology forum.

I do not even think someone waits for a day here before finding out the difference between third and fourth generation processor / Or even to see whether it is available in India

Just my personal opinion.

Sony VAIO Pro 11 P11213SN/B Netbook (4th Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 128GB SSD/ Win8) - Sony: Flipkart.com

I copy pasted that in google and found 100s of links. (even though i knew it is available) View attachment 101904

Nothing against you or other asks these kind of questions.
If you ask, how to do it, which one should i go for , etc makes some sense than asking a general question as this is not a technology forum.

I do not even think someone waits for a day here before finding out the difference between third and fourth generation processor / Or even to see whether it is available in India

Just my personal opinion.
My bad, should've been more clear. The laptops with haswell that are released in India are the high-end ones. Was wondering when the less high end ones, as in everyday computing laptops would be available.

Haswell has indeed been launched in india already. In fact my Macbook has it. though mine is bought in BKK but still i checked at apple stores here too and its available.

Top Bottom