Router For Computer

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys,

please could you advise me as how to buy a good not too expensive router.

My modem & main system is upstairs I want to be able to use my laptop down stairs. I have a broadband connection.

I prefer standalone routers as opposed to a modem/router combo.

At the moment I have a standard BSNL connection.

When the prices come down I would like to go for a BSNL fibre line.

Can the normal routers be used on a fibre line

Thanks.

May be I am wrong,
if you are going to use the old router then you will not be able to enjoy the speed what fiber line will offer because different router are designed for different speed.
I mean to say suppose your current router is able to handle 21 mbps and fiber line is offering 42 mbps then your current router will give you only 21 mbps not the 42 mbps.
That is the only problem I can see for now.
Normal router can be used for fiber line

Last edited:
Thread Starter #3
May be I am wrong,
if you are going to use the old router then you will not be able to enjoy the speed what fiber line will offer because different router are designed for different speed.
I mean to say suppose your current router is able to handle 21 mbps and fiber line is offering 42 mbps then your current router will give you only 21 mbps not the 42 mbps.
That is the only problem I can see for now.
Normal router can be used for fiber line
Thankyou,

I do not have a router now any suggestion as which one to buy

I suggest you buy a good one(read as not cheap) from Netgear or Belkin or Cisco Linksys - usually they are good but buy the high range ones as you need it to work in multiple rooms! I think you would need a budget of 7k upwards for really good high range ones.

I am using linksys since last 5 years and above and no single issue so far.
At factory i am using belkin as well since same period of time and its working exactly the same,these are one time investments but would do the job they are ment for perfectly.
Else you can change your modem and get the wireless ADSL2+ Router from bsnl itself or from market as well, many brands are available.

Cisco, Huawei are good router. If you are going purchase a new one I suggest go for the best one with wifi facility.
Brother, Hope you read the original post. He wanted to buy a Wifi Router as he wanted to use laptop on different floor (Down stairs as per his post). So, he is looking for a dedicated wifi router than ADSL Modem + Router

It all depends on how you want to spend. Do you want to spend around 7.5K or above (as Iron_Rock said) or you wanted to get something in the range of 1000-2500.

I have used many brands of routers (wifi) and found Linksys (now taken over by Cisco) & DLink are the best bet as per after sales/quality. I did have problem with Netgear products as the wifi signal gets lots at times when the microwave is on. Never felt the same with other brands. Check flipkart or any online site for price and reviews. Post before buying. Will try to get the best online deal [glasses]

Hi guys,

My modem & main system is upstairs I want to be able to use my laptop down stairs. I have a broadband connection.

Thanks.
I suggest you to go for iball Baton this one is good, using from last one year did not had any problem with this. It gets with 2 years warranty for both adapter and instrument it costs around 1000-1200 rs.

Thread Starter #9
Thankyou all for replying, have repped you all.

Will look online & post before buying. Think will go for a relatively cheap one below 2.5k as I will probably get a fiber line when the prices come down and then this one will be sitting idle.

Need a help.
Is there any way to use Linksys EA3500 with BSNL Broadband?
I do not see any problem in connecting.

Do these simple steps:

Connect the Cisco router to your PC

Get into the router page. (192.168.1.1)
Change the IP of the router to 192.168.2.1 (Not to conflict with other)
Connect the cable from BSNL modem to the internet port of your Wireless router.

That should be it.
If you still not able to get internet , go to the 'internet settings' in 192.168.2.1 and select 'Automatically' .

That is it bro. You should get it. Now, both may be conflicting because of 192.168.1.1

All the best

There is another method which would require your bsnl username password (may be a bit tough for you). if you want to try that, You can login to your bsnl modem and have to change Bridge mode. (ie, to dial from your router). The IP address will go off from the modem. Later, you need to login to router (cisco) and select PPPoE mode, select the bsnl username /password etc.
If you want to get back to old settings, you have to reset the modem as the modem would not be having an IP address. Bit confusing right?. So, better try with first method.

http://downloads.linksys.com/downloads/userguide/EA2700-3500-4500_UG.pdf (if you need the manual).

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply. +1
All I needed to know was that whether it'll work or not.
The second method, I know the username and password and to change those settings won't be tough for me at all.
(Have changed the settings earlier :tongue: )
I'll seek your help once I get the router(may not get it).

Hi guys,

Thanks.
Go for D-Link DIR-524
it is good WiFi router @ ~ 1.4K
offers standard security, WPA, WPA2 (auto mode also)
MAC filter, web site filter, basic firewall and lots
gives decent range too.

have used both in office and home
now using Dlink 3200AP in office
ask if you have any trouble setting it up

Guys, got an EA3500. Everything worked fine, setting up was super easy(nothing to do except install a program) but the wireless range is REALLY poor. The BSNL ADSL Modem I've provides the same range even without an antenna(yeah, no antenna). Is it normal with Linksys routers?
I can't expect the same range on a router that costs 10x plus!

Top Bottom