Ubuntu Edge Smartphone Announced. Will You Buy One?

Thread Starter #1
Ubuntu Edge smartphone announced with $32 million Indiegogo campaign, aims to hit market in May 2014

Ubuntu's plan to merge the desktop computer and mobile device is taking shape today in form of the Edge, which it's aiming to bring to market in May of next year for $830 outright. True to Canonical's community driven roots, the company is turning to crowd-funding to get the device on its feet. It's aiming to raise $32 million, and to that end, Canonical's launching a campaign on Indiegogo today, which provides early backers the opportunity to snag the phone for $600. According to company founder, Mark Shuttleworth, the Indiegogo route isn't meant to compete with its strategy of courting carriers for its mainstream smartphone project. Rather, it's meant to solve an "innovation gap" that's arisen during talks with manufacturers over its grander vision.

The Ubuntu Edge is a very ambitious smartphone that'll be capable of running a full-fledged Ubuntu desktop operating system alongside Android. While specs are currently tentative, the company is aiming to outfit the Edge with a quad-core CPU, 4GB of RAM and 128GB of storage. Meanwhile, the phone itself will sport a 4.5-inch, 1,280 x 720 display that's constructed of sapphire crystal glass, an 8MP rear / 2MP front-facing camera and stereo speakers. As for connectivity, Canonical's eyeing LTE, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 4.0 and NFC, along with MHL support.

If the converged device strategy strikes your fancy, you'll find good incentive to be among the early backers. According to Shuttleworth, the Edge will only come to market if backers make it happen, as "none of the phone manufacturers are yet ambitious enough to try to put both things in one package." Regardless of whether the Indiegogo campaigns succeeds -- it'd be a record, if so -- Canonical will continue pursuing its strategy to bring a more basic Ubuntu smartphone to market. Recently, the company announced the first of its partner carriers, which includes Verizon, Deutsche Telecom, EE, SK Telecom, China Unicom and others. We're still waiting to see what type of smartphone might be offered through the carriers, but it's now clear that if you believe in the open source / converged device philosophy, you'll need to vote with your wallet.

Ubuntu Edge: introducing the hardware - YouTube

Ubuntu Edge Teaser Promo - YouTube

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: Ubuntu Edge smartphone announced. Will you buy one ?

Earlier today, we let you know all about the newly announced Ubuntu Edge, which Canonical is planning as its flagship developer device that will show off its vision for convergent computing. In order to generate the cash needed to produce the device, Canonical turned to crowd-sourced funding on Indigogo with an aim of $32 million total; and, it's off to a solid start.

The funding campaign crossed the $2 million mark in under 12 hours; and, as of this writing the campaign was closing in on $2.5 million. There have already been over 4400 donors, including 2 donors who have gone for the "One of a Kind" option which costs $10,000. By far the most popular option has been the $600 option which will expire tomorrow at 11AM EST.

It's no surprise that the $600 option is most popular, not only because of the expiration date, but because the Ubuntu Edge will be quite the beast of a device. Specs are subject to change, but Canonical is promising "the fastest available multi-core processor, at least 4GB of RAM and a massive 128GB of storage", and a 4.5" 1,280x720 sapphire crystal display. And, of course the big news is that the device will not only run Ubuntu Touch, which will become full Ubuntu when docked, but that the device will dual-boot Android.

Ubuntu Edge funding campaign collects $2M in under 12 hours

oh my my [clap]
finger lickin good!

who will beat this !!!
Dual boot Ubuntu mobile OS and Android
Fully integrated Ubuntu desktop PC when docked
Fastest multi-core CPU, 4GB RAM, 128GB storage
4.5in 1,280 x 720 HD sapphire crystal display
8mp low-light rear camera, 2mp front camera
Dual-LTE, dual-band 802.11n Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4, NFC
GPS, accelerometer, gyro, proximity sensor, compass, barometer
Stereo speakers with HD audio, dual-mic recording, Active Noise Cancellation
MHL connector, 3.5mm jack
Silicon-anode Li-Ion battery
64 x 9 x 124mm

I thought of donating $10,000,000 . But, my account balance is too low [anger]. So donated first two digits ($10).

Waiting started ! Almost an year. If i can wait for a RE Thunderbird 10 months , why cant i wait 12 months for a cutting edge phone[glasses]

is this the beginning of the end of a thing called "laptop" !
This is real good stuff!
I cant leave the laptop or desktop unless I get a big keyboard & screen. Swyping with one finger may be easy for many. I type on keyboard faster than this using all my fingers

Last edited:
I cant leave the laptop or desktop unless I get a big keyboard & screen. Swyping with one finger may be easy for many. I type on keyboard faster than this using all my 10 finger
I have the exact same problem, i use touchscreen phone for short messages , I prefer typing on a conventional keyboard and use my laptop hooked to a bigger display, but what ubuntu would do is replace the laptop here (see the first video above! )

Thread Starter #10
I have the exact same problem, i use touchscreen phone for short messages , I prefer typing on a conventional keyboard and use my laptop hooked to a bigger display, but what ubuntu would do is replace the laptop here (see the first video above! )
Correct but for that many need to get used to ubuntu .most of the population don't know what Linux is forget ubuntu .

But ubuntu is promising the interface is superbly refreshing , functional and miles better then android , windows phone and iOS too . The only thing is it must be stable .Ubuntu Phone Demo - 6th June 2013 - YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqTCVesWTfc

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
Reddit's Ask Me Anything (AMA) events have been pretty amazing ways to find out information on topics that you care about; and right now, Canonical founder Mark Shuttleworth is holding an AMA about the Ubuntu Edge. So, if you have a question for him, just head over to Reddit and ask.

The AMA started just over an hour ago, and already Shuttleworth has said that the Ubuntu Edge will be "an annual process by which the previous generation backers get to vote on the spec for the next generation of Edge." Ultimately, Shuttleworth says that "the real idea we're trying to express is that a community can make better decisions than a single person." Additionally, Canonical will be looking into using "all-open hardware" in future generations of Edge, and is hoping to be able to crowd-source the design of the Ubuntu Edge in 2015.

Canonical will be releasing the physical dimensions as soon as they are final so users can 3D print accessories. And, there has been work put into dealing with heat issues in such a powerful device that would double as a desktop computer. The key, according to Shuttleworth, is to provide "all-out for performance to get over the convergence hump - i.e. deliver a device that gives a good enough desktop experience when you hook it up via HDMI and a bluetooth keyboard", but not have the device be too hot when in your hand or pocket.

On the subject of battery life, Shuttleworth dropped the extremely interesting idea that Canonical wants to "blaze a trail with silicon anode batteries." Silicon anode batteries use silicon nanowires to build a battery that has been said can last about 40% longer than current batteries, and survive as many as 4x as many recharge cycles.

On carrier customizations, Shuttleworth says Canonical has proposed that carriers/manufacturers are responsible for hardware drivers, Canonical is responsible for software updates, and there is a customization layer (which Pat McGowan explained for us) which would allow for customization of content on the device and themes, but not customization of the core OS.

Shuttleworth has confirmed that the first generation Ubuntu Edge will not include wireless charging because the team decided it would make the device too thick. However, future generations of the Edge will likely include wireless charging options.

On the question of why an iOS user might want to purchase an Ubuntu device, Shuttleworth answered:
If you're interested in convergence between phone and PC, we'll do that first and imo best. If you're interested in accelerating the movement of new tech into the mainstream, the Edge is a very interesting new way to signal to Appe what you consider cool in hardware (and software).

Shuttleworth has confirmed that Ubuntu Edge will feature unlocked LTE that will support LTE in both US and Europe, but because "the spectrum is just too fragmented at the moment", so it won't be able to have worldwide LTE support.

Canonical is working with game developers to bring top notch games to mobile and desktop (which of course will be the same with the Edge), and Shuttleworth is excited for the potential of gaming. Of course, many people have been excited for the "potential" of gaming on Linux for a long time. More and more games are coming to Ubuntu, but the ecosystem is still nowhere near as impressive as Windows, or even Mac.

There was even a bit of a tease that Canonical may be working on its own wearable devices, when Shuttleworth said, "What better way to prototype wearables than with a mobile PC to power them?" We won't say this is an admission that there is an Ubuntu wearable in the works, but knowing the team at Canonical, we're sure that the idea has been bounced around, at the very least.

Conclusion

There is a lot more information in the AMA, but we're pretty sure we caught all of the highlights. As usual, the aims of Shuttleworth and Canonical are sky high. We had known that the team was working on converging mobile and traditional desktop devices, but the ideas behind completely crowd-sourcing the process of designing and building devices is incredibly interesting.

There is still a fairly long way to go in the Ubuntu Edge funding, but it has managed to raise over $6 million so far. That is less than 20% of the final goal of $32 million, but it has only been 3 days, and there is another 28 days to go in the campaign. The Canonical team obviously are looking for ways to keep interest in the project high including this AMA and in adding more funding tiers, so we wouldn't be surprised if the goal is reached. And, if it is, that will go a long way to keeping alive Shuttleworth's idea to make this an annual project with the Ubuntu Edge handsets.

Everything you want to know about Ubuntu Edge answered by Canonical founder

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/1j166z/hi_im_mark_shuttleworth_founder_of_ubuntu/

Last edited:
Thread Starter #13
Ubuntu Edge campaign approaching $8 million, momentum slows, new perks added

As the fundraising campaign works its way into its tenth day, the tally stands in excess of $7.75 million, a good amount of money indeed, but still far short of its goal of $32 million. Fortunately, Canonical has added perks and other enticements to keep interest in the project strong.

Ubuntu Edge devices can be reserved on different tiered price points based on finite quantities (a scarcity tactic) and at the time of this writing, there are still some devices available at the $775 mark before the price bumps to the $780.

Of course not everyone can afford (or simply chooses not to spend that kind of money) the Ubuntu Edge as priced, but thankfully there are $20 (founder) and $30 (forgot international shipping) perks to pledge your support. Some folks do not like to spend money and not have anything to show for it, well fortunately, for $50 you can be a “founder with style” and get your very own Ubuntu Edge t-shirt.

These are all good things, if you have been thinking of participating in the project, get on board now. The price points include VAT if that is a concern. If the project reaches its goal, the Edge will not become a retail offering. It will however, be a fully unlocked device which will work on GSM and LTE networks around the world (including Verizon and Sprint in the US) capable of delivering Ubuntu desktop to your office directly from the device. On top of that, LastPass is providing a free one-year subscription to LastPass Premium for every Ubuntu Edge backer.

A new perk! $50 offers your support and lets you show it off with a t-shirt

The fundraising campaign is on pace to break records, but truth be told, it is not where it needs to be given the time that has passed already. The goal is still well within reach though, the campaign needs to find some more steam. You are that steam.

Go get yourself a shirt, toss the campaign a twenty-dollar bill if you have one, or better yet, make a pledge to get an Ubuntu Edge.

source: Ubuntu Edge (Indiegogo)

Thread Starter #14
Share:Discuss11

We're getting closer and closer to the 22nd, which will mark a month since Canonical announced the Ubuntu Edge and the extravagant crowd-funding campaign it hopes to close. The eagle-eyed among you probably also remember a rather important detail – unless the campaign hosted over at Indiegogo manages to secure a whopping $32 million in funding by August 22, Canonical won't get even a cent, and the Edge simply won't happen.

A great-looking and sounding project, the Ubuntu Edge campaign was initially off to a great start, raising an impressive $2 million in under 12 hours. Unfortunately, funding for the project has been slowing down ever since, reaching almost a complete stop – $9.8 million – that's the amount raised as of this writing. With just 9 days left until the official end of the campaign, it's fair to say that failure is behind the corner, unless we witness some kind of a miracle.

We can't help but feel disappointed over this, and we sure as hell aren't alone. Vowing that the Ubuntu Edge would be to smartphones what Formula 1 is to your everyday vehicle, the Edge sure packs some serious promise. Set to come with the latest and greatest multi-core processor available at the time of the release, along with “at least” 4GB of RAM and 128GB of internal storage, the Ubuntu Edge sounds like a geek dream come true. The rest of the promised specs include:

A 4-5inch display of unknown tech, said to be at least 720p. Canonical vowed not to pursue pixel count at the expense of color reproduction and general quality.
Screen to be covered by sapphire crystal, a material so scratch resistant it is usually considered second only to diamond.
Dual LTE Antennas allowing for blazing-fast speeds on any network
Dual boot: Ubuntu Touch/Android
Silicon-anode Li-ion battery of unknown capacity and size
A singular, metal unibody

Of course, none of this really amounts to much until we actually get to see a real, tangible product, one that isn't staring back at us from a teaser video. Fortunately for us, a prototype Ubuntu Edge has been showcased during the XDA DevCon 2013 in Miami a few days ago, and there's no shortage of high resolution snaps of it. In spite of the rather hopeless outlook on the project, we're definitely fancying the Edge – said metal unibody looks sleek and premium, especially with the help of the dotted profile. On the other hand, while this may be somewhat of a contested territory, we definitely could see a larger display, perhaps a 4.7-incher, fitting well with the current design, even adding to the overall appeal of the phone.

But don't let us keep you any longer from seeing the Ubuntu Edge for yourself – head right for the gallery and enjoy the view of a smartphone that you'll probably never hold.

See the Ubuntu Edge in flesh, the smartphone that wants to revolutionize the industry

Top Bottom