My New Canon Kiss X2

Thread Starter #1
Guys, I just bought a new camera. Photography had always been my favourite hobby. It all started with a Yashica camera which my mother gifted to me, years back. Till now, i had stayed away from SLRs because found them too expensive. Currently I have been happily using Canon SX 150IS. And yesterday I bought a DSLR out of blues. It all happened unexpectedly. We reached a port in China. And one of the another ships berthed had a person trying to sell a camera. He told, he bought it in Japan. But finds it way too complicated for him. And its bulky. I saw it.
Camera, battery all made in Japan. And no sign of any repair or dismantle. I thought over it, and showed my interest. I managed to buy it in USD 300 along with all the accesories, 32GB memory card and few other goodies, as he already had sold the carrying case. I feel I have got a good deal. Need to know from the experts. The details of camera as below:
Make: Canon
Model (Body): EOS Kiss X2
Lens: EF 28-90 mm 1:4-5.6
Details and photos I will post later on. What do you say about it? Have I struck a good deal or got myself a piece of junk!

Congratulations on your product.

It is a good camera :) ! Canon EOS 450D seems the other name for it !
Released in 2008.
You may miss out few latest technical things compared to new camera available.
Canon Kiss X2 vs Nikon D3100 - Our Analysis
D3100 is 24K with lens (2 year warranty). You may get atleast 2-3K cheaper at other sites.

And, you need not worry about the deal. It is not the camera that matters. It is the man behind the camera matters. The way you look at the scene, capturing and cropping it matters the most. I have seen many taken great photos even with their point and shoot cameras than the one i took with D7000 !

So be happy with the purchase. Do not think about the Good Deal / Junk part.

Happy Clicking

Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the link. I am actually satisfied with the SX 150IS I have. Just that the deal sounded tempting for me. And I always wanted to buy a good DSLR, but cost kept me away. Even though dated, the features are amazing for me.
You're right, today almost everyone is holding a DSLR, while very few have knowledge of what they are handling. And some people can shoot much better pics even using a simple camera. I have started reading about details of photography and cameras. I understand nothing about lens specs.

Congratulations! [clap] Happy shooting...

While 28 - 90 might be ok for most of your shots now, I would suggest, (after you have outgrown this lens), you get one wider lens like a 18 - 55 or 18 -135 which will giver you a wider angle and be helpful for your type of photography...

Thread Starter #5
Thanks Highway Ranger
Though I have been using cameras (with lots of interest) since my childhood, I never thought of buying a SLR/DSLR. First time I held a DSLR was when we went for TAI meet (one of the first ones). Rekharam has brought his camera. And when I took his camera for a snap, it was so heavy, unlike point and shoot cameras. I am glad I too have one now.
But i need to start from scratch. It will take time when i start getting some decent photos as per SLR standards. One thing which I dont get at all is the lenses. I went through various sites. But nowhere i could understand which one for what.
HR, you can help me out here. As you suggested me 18-55 or 18-135. Which one should I go for? I would like to go for one with IS. As present one has no Image stabiliser, and I have to hold my breath to get a sharp picture when zoomed completely.[roll]
Few pics of my new toy.

Attachments

Cheaper lens comes with out image stabilization. If you are using with a tripod, is won't be a concern. I have 70-300 with out vr(vibration resistant) for 6k (with vr, it is 30k)

Wider angle -lens with less number. Shorter opening and large view.
Zoom-large number. opened fully and narrowed to very small area with minute details.

Before buying lenses, there are many websites offering rental. I suggest you to try out before procuring them. In bangalore there are two to three websites which are good.

There is a lynda photography guide for lenses. If you can download, good material for reference. (can share if you are in bangalore )

Happy clicking

I am not a photographer and I just take photos of subjects we like for our memories. I don't take technical photos (like setting up subjects like water drops/objects and shooting). All my photos are taken during my travels for printing and creating albums that we browse now and then and re-live our experience.

If I were to choose, I will consider the following lens...

Canon -EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS Lens -RS 31280 (snapdeal)

Can be a walk-around lens.

I can take landscapes, portraits, group photos of family gatherings, fun moments, and also, to some extend, wildlife and action. ...should cover most of my needs...

The advantage of not having to change lens. (but then, why would anyone buy a DSLR if they do not want to do that?)

Or a combination of...
Canon -EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens Rs 11620 + EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS II Lens Rs 15994 (snapdeal)

Longer reach and wider range...
Should be sufficient for all my needs till, or if, I choose to specialize on some sort of photography - for which I might have to buy dedicated/prime lens which might cost a lot.

Will have to be changing lens often as per the shooting opportunity.. if I am lazy or if the subject is fast, I might miss the shot while changing lens...

The combination is cheaper than 18-135

All the above lens are with image stabilization. So can be used hand held.

You can read the reviews of these lens online...

Learn and practice to hold the dslr the proper way till it becomes the natural way. (using the left hand to cradle the base of the camera and lens and the right hand for the controls while shooting) And always use the viewfinder...

Waiting for you to post photos taken with you new camera...

As appus said, Lynda.com has some nice video tutorials by Ben Long on composition, exposure and lens. I found these tutorials very interesting.

You can download them from other download sites or collect it from either one of us.

I also have a lot of photography books in pdf format.

Most of all have fun... enjoy taking photos...

Last edited:
Thread Starter #10
Thanks a lot appus and HR. I have a question.
If I compare 2 lenses, same canon with IS
55-250mm II IS f/4-5.6 and 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6
Which one will be better?
My usage is mixed. I kept experimenting with my other camera, though couldn't do much with that.

If the choice is between 55-250 and 18-135, (if strictly one lens), I would go with 18-135. The reason, 50% of my photos will be landscapes/scenery and 55mm will fall short for that. (55mm is not wide enough for landscapes). 18mm is ok for landscapes and 135mm is acceptable for normal zoom purpose. Like I said before with 18-135 I can take most of my photos, but for closeups of birds and wildlife. I lived with 18-105 for 2 years before getting 70-300 for more reach.

Having said that, if I had the money to buy 18-135, I will buy 18-55 and 55-250 instead as they will serve all my need. And, I will have some money left for some memory cards or even a spare battery. The downside is changing lens. But then, that is the beauty of DSLR.

You should go through the reviews for these lens before you buy them.

Hope I have not confused you. These are my personal thoughts.

Thread Starter #12
I am not at all confused. I saw on net one lens Canon EF 18-200mm IS 1:3.5-4.6. As per my little understanding I gained from net, you and appus, I feel that would be better option. But its pricey.

Last edited:
18-200mm (11.1x xoom),has a longer reach and cost around 14000 more than 18-135 (7.5x zoom). And the combo of 18-55 and 55-250 cost less than 18-135. Another option will be to go for 18-55 and 70-300 (16.7x zoom)

Eventually we will find both 18-135 and 18-200 short of reach and look for 70-300. (the safest reach for handheld photography... at least in my hands). So the question now will be economics. How much to spend on lens? [:)]

Thread Starter #14
Guys, I need to part from this camera of mine. two days back when I informed my family that I have brought a camera, they too had a good news for me. My brother informed me that they too have bought a camera. [surprise]
So I need to sell one of the two. Since the other one has warranty, and is new, I have decided to sell this one. Yesterday I posted ad on quikr. I have got many queries.
Anyways because of this camera, I have learnt a little more about photography and SLRs. Now waiting to see the other camera.

Top Bottom