The Headphones Thread

Thread Starter #1
I am a avid music lover, but someone who is always short on cash. But nevertheless, a good headphone is something which always stays on my head when I go out.

This thread is to discuss the good, bad and ugly about the various headphones/earphones/headsets available in the market.

Till now, I was using a Philips Shibuya SHL5200. The primary reason for choosing the Philips was that it came with a built-in microphone (on the cable) which enabled me to use it with my phone.

fone_de_ouvido_tipo_headphone_com_microfone_integrado_shibuya_philips_shl5205_2293_1_20121212124.jpg

It is worth Rs. 3800/- in retail stores here but I got it in a offer from Amazon for Rs. 2100/-. Please note all prices are converted from GBP to Indian Rupees.

The earphones seemed to be of good quality and were very comfortable on the ear. Noise cancellation was great too. Sound quality was good enough for the price but somehow bass was mediocre. But overall it was a good investment, till recently it mysteriously broke into two pieces!

I wont say I have taken care of it like my baby but I have not done a strength test on it either. It was fairly well taken care of and anyways, headphones are supposed to be sturdy! This is the first time I saw a headphone literally breaking into two on it's own! I tried FeviQwik/Super Glue, but to no avail.

Time for a new headphone then. Budget as usual was tight! This time, I did not even look at Philips. I am not willing to give it another chance now. So, the contenders were -

1) Sony MDR-XB400:

sony_mdrxb400_black.jpg
Sony-mdr-xb400-cuffie-extra-bass-mdr-xb400-Sony.jpg

This is the successor of the sweet looking MDR-XB300.

MDR-XB400 | Extra Bass & DJ Headphones | Features | MDRXB400B.AE | MDRXB400 | Sony

Price: Rs. 4127/-

2) Sennheiser HD205:

Sein.jpg

Sennheiser HD 205 - Closed Headphones - excellent stereo sound quality

Price: Rs. 4211/-

3) Audio Technica ATH-SJ55:

AT sj55.jpg

ATH-SJ55

Price: Rs. 4548/-

4) Audio Technica ATH-T300:

audio_technica_ath-t300.jpg

ATH-T300

Price: Rs. 3284/-

Final Choice:

Amazon was offering all these headphone for a much lesser price, approx Rs. 2500-3000/-. After reading lots of reviews and comparing specifications, I finalized on the SJ55 and the XB400. The SJ55 has a better high end clarity while the XB400 has a better low end (bass).

Audio Technica is known to make good headphones but some reviews suggested that the build quality of the SJ55 was flimsy. The last thing I wanted was another broken headphone. On the other hand, users were praising the build and sound quality of the XB400. It's flat ear cushions are comfortable on the ears, flat cords are non-tangible, would fold flat for easy storage in bags and it has a slightly better power output than the SJ55, though the latter looked a bit more premium.

In the end, I chose the Sony. I guess a Sony will complement my Sony Xperia phone well! I ordered it for approx Rs. 3000/- from Amazon. I have always wished to buy an Audio Technica. Guess I will wait for the day when I have a generous budget.

Last edited:
I did try the Audio-technica before going on to buy this, Panasonic RP HTX-7, last year. Since then I am enjoying the tight bass with excellent treble and clarity.
DSC_0199.jpg

I use Roccat Kave True 5.1 Ch. headphone for movies, games and music. Bought for 6K one year ago. This headphone build like a Tank.
g5_33.jpg

g5_29.jpg

g5_26.jpg

Thread Starter #7
have you heard about MEe headphones.
Apparently they too are vfm .
Along with klipsch and their likes,
Yes, but I guess these are not very popular.

I did try the Audio-technica before going on to buy this, Panasonic RP HTX-7, last year. Since then I am enjoying the tight bass with excellent treble and clarity.
View attachment 92100
Ohhh, I was really impressed with the design of the Panasonic. It is available in a similar price range. But when I saw the deep ear cushion, I thought it would be uncomfortable for long hours of use.

I had a bad experience earlier on with Sennheiser, so this time I gave it a miss.

How does the HD203 sound?

Thread Starter #11
Finally, the headphones arrived. Initial verdict is that I am happy as well as disappointed.

I expected the XB400 to be a big leap from my Philips. But it is not so. The Sony is much more smaller than the Philips and somehow the Philips "looks" more expensive. The good thing is that since the Sony is smaller and lighter, it is more comfortable to use. The ear buds of the Sony is also softer and more easy on the ears.

The XB400 does exactly what it claims - provide lots and lots of bass. But somehow the vocals are a bit muted. The Philips on back-to-back comparison lacked the bass, but was more audible. In the Sony, I had to crank up the volume by 2-3 notches. Not good.

Anyways, since they are brand new, I will allow the speakers to run-in and further comment on the sound quality.

Could you please tell me why you don't use in ear headphones?
I hate them actually. The in-ear ones plugs inside your ears and totally seals them. It gives me a very irritating and uncomfortable feeling. For those who are okay with them, the good thing is that it provides a great noise insulation.

Thread Starter #13
^^^ I have heard a lot of good things about Bose. Never tried their headphones though.

People complain a lot about Beats, that its overpriced and overhyped. Yes, it is expensive but I love Beats. I am a huge BASS addict and Beats gives me just that, with the right amount of highs and mids.

Top Bottom