Internet Charges Might Shoot Up

Thread Starter #1
Industry body ISPAI said that rates of internet and broadband services may go up under new licenses framework due to high entry fee proposed by Department of Telecommunications (DoT).

DoT has proposed to charge one-time entry of Rs 15 crore for a national level Unified Licence compared to Rs 30 lakh which companies pay for internet services at present.

"DoT has not done anything new as per the proposed format for Unified Licence regime. They are going ahead with option to continue the old licence format along with a new national level Unified Licence (UL) that will cost Rs 15 crore.

"If internet service providers opt for UL, then cost of internet and broadband services will go up," Internet Service Provider Association of India's (ISPAI) President Rajesh Charia told PTI.

In the new licencing regime, DoT should allow internet telephony which would lead to low cost call service that would benefit even rural area the country where illiteracy is very high.

"VoIP is widely accepted application. Foreign companies who are not registered with DoT are providing voice calling service both between Computer to Computer and Computer to landlines.

"They don't even have licences. We pay annual charges to DoT and should be allowed to provide voice services across networks," he said.

A DoT internal committee has recommended to allow ISPs with wireless broadband spectrum (BWA) to provide voice telephony service using these airwaves. In 2010, six private players including Reliance Jio Infocom, formerly Infotel Broadband, Tikona Digital and Augere had won BWA spectrum.

The committee has left it for higher authorities to decide if players who won BWA spectrum in 2010 should be asked to make additional payment of Rs 1,658 crore which was charged from telecom players till 2008 for providing mobile telephony.

The licence issued to mobile telephony operators for Rs 1,658 crore had 4.4 Mhz spectrum bundled with it but government has announced to provide no spectrum with UL.

Internet rates may go up - The Times of India

Very bad news. I was supposed to move on to next plan in Airtel [4mbps speed 15 gb max download after that unlimited at 256 kbps at the cost of 1.3k aprox]

let us see.. is there any exclusive br0adband service provider without phone facility?

I see we are degrading ourself with increase in price but decrase in speed. Today in other countries where 4G plans are cheaper or even high speed internet is measured in GBPS we ae still struggling to acive good speed abobe 512 MBPS at cheaper rates. Not sure what would be next surpises

There are lot's of players in the market who provides broadband services without the phone facility and it's much cheaper than what you are paying currently, you can try :: hathw@y ::
Very sad Visran, Hathway is not available in Chennai i think. let me check with them.

Just had a look at Broad band service providers in chennai and found Tickona, Sify and spectranet.

Sify and Spectranet offers 1mbps for Rs.898 and Tickona [Wireless] offers Rs.799 for 1mbps speed. All three does n't have Fair Usage plan. But my doubt is, even in case of airtel we might not get the full speed as it was mentioned to us. they say when the line is shared we might not get in full.

Will that happend in these cases also [Sify, Spectranet and Tickona] any chennai TAIians use this service providers?

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
As mukesh said you can also check with BSNL. I felt Airtel is very expensive and to add to that you get an unwanted phone connection as well.

Here in Hyderabad, Beam Tele is ruling with their direct internet cable service. We pay Rs.400 per month/unlimited with 2mpbs speed[:)]

Here in Hyderabad, Beam Tele is ruling with their direct internet cable service. We pay Rs.400 per month/unlimited with 2mpbs speed[:)]
Sir, you are lucky. I think it is time to find out an alternative since I pay nearly Rs.1100 every month just for broadband [ we dont make calls from that phone]

Top Bottom