Does Anybody Uses Linux Here?

Thread Starter #1
I was watching some videos on Ubuntu 12.10 , the OS looks quite sleek . Does anybody uses it ? And how easy and powerful is it compared to windows and OSX of apple ?

Re: Does anybody uses Linux here ?

@Raja

What you are talking about, what is that "Ubuntu" a phone, laptop, OS or a movie[confused]

Thread Starter #3

@Raja

What you are talking about, what is that "Ubuntu" a phone, laptop, OS or a movie[confused]
Its a os like windows and Mac OSX . It will come on phones too later this year .

Have you not heard of Linux ?

I have used Linux ages Ago. At that I used Slax, it was live CD . One word Linux is awesome. Linux have come ahead long way from ebing just command line OS to reach GUI Linux. All the servers and network systems in the world are mostly based on Linux.

Know what, there is yet no virus in the world to affect Linux systems (as far as I remember , any one can please correct me here if I am wrong).

As far as comparison goes, each OS serves it purpose, as said Linux is much more powerful so used in networking ans server side hosting. Most of the site hosting done today are based on Linux servers. The crashing freuquency of the Linux based systesm is almost next to NO. Where as earlier Windows OS keeps on crashing for reason only known to Microsoft and BIll Gates. But win 7 is much smoother than the previous ones.

I have no idea about OSX.

Yeah even I heard about Linux long long back and know that it is being used in networking more.

Other I was watching a laptop an apple with mac I think as OS, oh god everything is in reverse and too difficult to use it[frustration] and after some time I become like this[shock] as why people run behind that "a" so much

I always use linux and love it more than windows. Have been using it from last 13 yrs (starting from Red Hat 6x). Have also used OSX apart from Windows. I would rate Linux (Specially Ubuntu, Red Hat), OSX then Windows for usability.

Thread Starter #8

Yeah even I heard about Linux long long back and know that it is being used in networking more.

Other I was watching a laptop an apple with mac I think as OS, oh god everything is in reverse and too difficult to use it[frustration] and after some time I become like this[shock] as why people run behind that "a" so much
Mac OSX is the easiest os I have ever used , I use it everyday its way way less complicated and easy then windows 7 but Windows 8 looks nice and also supports touch .

People like apple comps because they are of good quality , and the os is mostly bug free and stable and most of the time virus free . And most imp easy damn easy to use.

Linux Ubuntu seems even more easy the. OSX from whatever I have seen on YouTube .

@ Patil

I was planning to buy a acer chrome book and install ubuntu 12.10 is it a good idea ?

Last edited:

@Patil,

Then why Linux is not popular and people use only windows mostly ??
because its cheap( read free).

so people feel they are doing something wrong or its is just like some silly micromax like company :biggrin:

Last edited:

I was watching some videos on Ubuntu 12.10 , the OS looks quite sleek . Does anybody uses it ? And how easy and powerful is it compared to windows and OSX of apple ?
It is awesome,double awesome.

Use it once then there is no looking back.

minor glitch is compatibility with real world majority like windows and mac .

My laptop gave me 5 hours with ubuntu against 3 hours with windows.

@Patil,

Then why Linux is not popular and people use only windows mostly ??
I can think of following points for Linux not being popular:
1. Linux is based on Unix platform and as everyone knows that Unix is basically for Server computation, and mainly used by scientific community as it does not have UI support (Except enterprise version like HP Unix). Hence people perception is that it has poor UI.
2. No one bothered to make it popular as majority of it was/is purely volunteered based development
3. Older version of Linux were very difficult to install as well as use as they had poor UI and device support.
4. Nowadays versions of Linux are far better than Windows. I will try to explain with below example: Recently my laptop HDD crashed and it had physical damage too hence I had to get a new second hand HDD as current HDDs are no longer compatible with my old laptop [:D]. Now when I installed Windows XP it asked for drivers for all peripherals, like: Network drivers, Video drivers, etc, the problem was that I kept all drivers on same crashed/damaged HDD so only way was to get via internet but I cannot connect to internet without network driver, catch 22. So I borrowed an Ubuntu CD and installed in empty partition. Ubuntu installation took less time in installation, it never asked for any drivers and I could connect to wireless network instantly. Only installation I have to make is VLC media player, unlike on windows I need to install VLC, Adobe, Java run time env, anti-virus and many more apart from essential drivers. Believe me or not I can open all Microsoft office documents, modify them and also save in formats compatible with Microsoft office all on Ubuntu. I just use Ubuntu for all practical purpose.
5. And finally as Gouresh mentioned it is free so everyone thinks it is not good [roll]

I can think of following points for Linux not being popular:
1. Linux is based on Unix platform and as everyone knows that Unix is basically for Server computation, and mainly used by scientific community as it does not have UI support (Except enterprise version like HP Unix). Hence people perception is that it has poor UI.
2. No one bothered to make it popular as majority of it was/is purely volunteered based development
3. Older version of Linux were very difficult to install as well as use as they had poor UI and device support.
4. Nowadays versions of Linux are far better than Windows. I will try to explain with below example: Recently my laptop HDD crashed and it had physical damage too hence I had to get a new second hand HDD as current HDDs are no longer compatible with my old laptop [:D]. Now when I installed Windows XP it asked for drivers for all peripherals, like: Network drivers, Video drivers, etc, the problem was that I kept all drivers on same crashed/damaged HDD so only way was to get via internet but I cannot connect to internet without network driver, catch 22. So I borrowed an Ubuntu CD and installed in empty partition. Ubuntu installation took less time in installation, it never asked for any drivers and I could connect to wireless network instantly. Only installation I have to make is VLC media player, unlike on windows I need to install VLC, Adobe, Java run time env, anti-virus and many more apart from essential drivers. Believe me or not I can open all Microsoft office documents, modify them and also save in formats compatible with Microsoft office all on Ubuntu. I just use Ubuntu for all practical purpose.
5. And finally as Gouresh mentioned it is free so everyone thinks it is not good [roll]
It is free, so no or less marketing. SO many out there does not even knows what linux is. [anger]
+100, I even I do not know much about it till now, so how to use it if want to experience it ??

I work in Linux environment in office(Fedora) however I always prefer windows 7 for my home use.I have also used Windows 8 and I found it was more suitable for Touch Screen environment than normal Laptop or PC.
I really don't have anything against Linux as such but I find Windows 7 more attractive and little more user friendly(may be I am more used to it).
So according to my opinion windows 7 is little ahead of all the latest Linux versions(including Ubuntu 12.02 & Fedora 17) but since Linux comes free of cost ,it is certainly more affordable.

Top Bottom