Need HDMI To Composite Video Cable (Yellow Pin)

Thread Starter #1
Frenz

I have been thinking about a proper Home Theater Setup for many years and been postponing it with other priorities. Of late, my wife has been pushing me to buy one as it’s a long time wish list of mine and if I do it before this 1st Jan, she would sponsor it entirely. Any need to think twice or will you get such an offer again? Hence, started my search…

Saw almost all Home Theaters integrated with DVD Players, but wasn’t convinced much. A friend of mine has one in Philips, though I liked it but wasn’t feeling great. I thought of moving out with the integrated ones and get an independent one with Blu-ray Player (BDP) as an add-on.

Thought of all giants in HTIB and a news paper ad of Onkyo with 40% off. Visited Onkyo showroom for a demo and was well convinced with HT-S 3500 with a price tag of 28K. It’s an entry level HTIB, but worth the penny and has all I wanted in terms of features and quality of sound. Though my budget was only 20K, decided to extend to this range considering the Brand, Quality and Satisfaction etc. of course with my Wifey’s nod. After some research in net I found HT-S 3400 is more better than 3500. Reason, 3400 has Audessey Dynamic SQ & Volume which is a miss in 3500 and priced lesser than the latter (27K). However, 3400 doesn’t have USB playback, which I didn’t find to be an issue as the BDP would have one.

Finalized HT-S 3400 and visited Reliance Digital on Dec 31st night. Had a Demo there again and tried negotiations. They are ready to give it for 27K or else with a Blackberry worth 12K for 31K. Not interested and asked for a combo with BDP. Agreed for HTIB @ 27K with a Philips BDP @ 2.5K which is 6K otherwise. Walked out with the new HTIB & BDP with immense pleasure without knowing the surprise I have the next day…

Next day, 1st morning, unwrapped the BDP and shocked to see that it has only HDMI out for Audio / Video and Digital Coaxial Out for Audio… BTW, I didn’t mention to you guys that I have a Samsung CRT TV… [frustration] OK! Now don’t give me that look. I didn’t want a LED for a reason of Soap Opera Effects, which I just hate and spoils the mood of watching anything. So was not in my priority list any of the time…

Anyways, I ran back to Reliance to check for options, and the Sales Rep started showing me options on LED TVs. Understood? There is no way that I can connect the BDP with CRT TV. Now, the options out are to silently go buy a LED or wrap back the BDP, sell it elsewhere or keep it in the loft.

However, thought of an idea of HDMI to Composite Video Out and searched in net. Seems such a cable/converter is available in the market but not sure about the reliability and cost. Many are suggesting to check it in SP Road (Bangalore) and all of them are sure that I will find one there. I didn’t get time to go there yet and planning for this weekend.

You guys know any such cable/converter available in the market? Please suggest.

As a stop gap, I am using my DVD Player, which was supposed to be exchanged. Luckily Reliance didn’t have an option of exchange, that saved me for now [lol]

HDMI is digital out and RCA are analog signals.
You need to have a converter in between both of them, which would come at the price of a DVD player itself. I am not sure if a simple cable will work, but the following link has a few cables-
HDCP HDMI to VGA SPDIF RGB Component Converter v1 3b | eBay

It would really be difficult for you to enjoy BD movies on a CRT, and eventually you may like to go for a bigger TV.

My suggestion for the time being would be sell out the current BDP and get a new cheap BDP with RCA out option, at least you will not have to deal with permutation & combination of cables

Ohh!! First accept my congratulation on buying ONKYO with blue ray DVD. I too own ONKYO home theater with Philips Blue Ray DVD player. Once you will start watching movie on Onkyo you will realize it's worth for each penny.

I am not sure if you lose the sound effect using digital to analog convertor. For time being go for it but in future please good hollywood movies at home

Thread Starter #6
I am not sure. The ebay item link you posted, shows following text:

It mentions that a converting capability will be needed in the device. Check the owner manual of your BDP and see if it mentions anything like this.
Spot on Eagle Eye... [clap]

I didn't go thru it completely as I wasn't planning to buy it online, wait for it and land with surprises later. I also believe that such a converter would be required, however, I just doubt it too. If it's in the other way around, yes, such a converter is surely needed as Digital Signals to be converted to HD. That what keeping my hopes on for a cheap, affordable arrangement for stop gap.

If such converters would cost me the worth of BDP, I would just drop that option at all.

Ohh!! First accept my congratulation on buying ONKYO with blue ray DVD. I too own ONKYO home theater with Philips Blue Ray DVD player. Once you will start watching movie on Onkyo you will realize it's worth for each penny.

I am not sure if you lose the sound effect using digital to analog convertor. For time being go for it but in future please good hollywood movies at home
Sorry Mods, I missed to do Multi-Quote.

ERTIGA_ZMR - Yes. I just loved the quality of sound even on playing Pirated DVDs and MP3s using Philips DVD Player. Just waiting for the day to play original BDs/DVDs in the new BDP thru Coaxial / HDMI and get amazed.

BTW, since we both have the same set up, how have you hooked it in?
BDP --> HT thru Coaxial and BDP --> TV thru HDMI?
BDP --> HT thru HDMI and HT --> TV thru HDMI?

BTW, the stock wires provided for rear speakers weren't just enough and hanging for now. Need to replace with new wires for them. What is the suggestion? Get a full length wire and connect them directly from HT to speakers without any joints? Or Joints are fine?

Also, any particular specs on getting new wires?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thread Starter #7
Now, the options out are to silently go buy a LED or wrap back the BDP, sell it elsewhere or keep it in the loft.[lol]
Update: Finally, I chose to go with the 1st option, bought Sony LED 32EX330. [:D]

I was contemplating between Samsung UA32EH5000R and Sony 32EX330. Both are of same price (33K) with similar features. Whereas, the former is Full HD and the other is HD Ready. However, zeroed with Sony, though it's not Full HD but Edge LED which won over the Samsung's Full HD Backlight LED.

Price @ Reliance was 32,900 and after negotiation 31,900. Exchanged the old CRT for 2.5K, so net 29,500. Moreover, 6 EMI option for Sony products with 0% Interest/Processing Fee for Citibank Card.

With this, I gotta spend 29,5K for a Blu-ray Player of 2.5K... How do you like it? [clap]

Price @ Reliance was 32,900 and after negotiation 31,900. Exchanged the old CRT for 2.5K, so net 29,500. Moreover, 6 EMI option for Sony products with 0% Interest/Processing Fee for Citibank Card.
This is news to me [roll]. I was always under the impression that prices are fixed and one cannot negotiate at Reliance Retail outlets. I was also not aware that Reliance has exchange offers where they buy back old TVs.

Thread Starter #9
This is news to me [roll]. I was always under the impression that prices are fixed and one cannot negotiate at Reliance Retail outlets. I was also not aware that Reliance has exchange offers where they buy back old TVs.
Hahahahaaa... I too was in that impression until now and I couldn't do much when I purchased the HT a month ago. However, being a repeated customer, I took the privilege to discuss the price. The SA was initially resistant and said, Reliance's prices are always fixed and better than any other outlets, so can't be negotiated. Moreover can't workout anything for Sony or Samsung.

I know he was right in terms of Reliance's pricing has I had inquired in almost all outlets in Bangalore [:D]. However, I didn't want to settle and hence, insisted further. He too obliged to work out 2% which came to 32,200 and negotiated to make it round of 32K. So he worked out 3% and thus 31,900.

Again, for old TV exchange, I guess, the have some vendors who pick up those. He initially said 2K for that and after negotiations, 2.5K.

More than negotiation, our interaction and rapport matters a lot. You should really free, friendly, accommodation and yet firm to get maximum.

Update: Finally, I chose to go with the 1st option, bought Sony LED 32EX330. [:D]

With this, I gotta spend 29,5K for a Blu-ray Player of 2.5K... How do you like it? [clap]
I knew it would happen soon. You did the right thing I must say.
Soon, you would find yourself in hunt for digital cable connection!

How about posting a picture of your whole home theater set-up now?

Top Bottom