Is Inverter the Culprit for Huge EB Bill?

Thread Starter #1
Hi Freinds,

I doubt that my EB bill is ubnormal while comparing with others in the same apartment. We have more or less same home appliences as every one has. The list are

Please find the gadgets I have at home and it is average usage.

EB Bill.JPG

Apart from the above I have inverter for power back which will be on always.

Now I have a doubt that keeping the inverter always on will consume more power?

As of now our average consumption units are around 800 Units.

Anyone can throw some light on this if possible.

Re: Is Inverter the culprit for huge EB Bill

I have been using Inverter for quite some time now and havent noticed a drastic change in electricity bill due to it! Mine is a dual battery inverter!

Thread Starter #3
carfreak, am also using inverter from 2007. But I had not paid much attention to that. But recently TN Govt hiked 100% EB Tariffs and am end up in paying nearly 4k every month. [earlier it was 2k]. So am worrying now little bit later.

If the other houses don't have inverter, then it is understandable that power consumed by the inverter to charge batteries will make a difference. Besides, the inverter is on all the time and it will consume a small amount of power even after the batteries are charged.

buddy get the inverter checked. i too had huge bills when the battery of my inverter went kaput. the bills returned to the usual range once the bettery was replaced.

hey, as smooth rider said, check the battery. High bill can be mainly due to the issue of the battery. My cousin too experienced the same even though there wasn't anything running in his house except for a fridge (was out of station).

Thread Starter #7
buddy get the inverter checked. i too had huge bills when the battery of my inverter went kaput. the bills returned to the usual range once the bettery was replaced.
hey, as smooth rider said, check the battery. High bill can be mainly due to the issue of the battery. My cousin too experienced the same even though there wasn't anything running in his house except for a fridge (was out of station).
Thank you friends. I just changed my battery in May 2012. The consumption is same as before changing it.

Any short circuit/earthing could be the culprit.my friend has faced same issue.Only 2 people were living in his big house and most of the time both were out of home. But still he got huge bills. he complained to EB that meter is compliant that earth light in the meter glowing all time.They came and checked and later found that it was because of short circuit.

Thread Starter #9
Any short circuit/earthing could be the culprit.my friend has faced same issue.Only 2 people were living in his big house and most of the time both were out of home. But still he got huge bills. he complained to EB that meter is compliant that earth light in the meter glowing all time.They came and checked and later found that it was because of short circuit.
Releesh, i tried that also. That guy came and told me nothing is wrong and went.

check your fridge. Is it really old? switch off all appliances and check the meter reading.after that switch on one by one devices and check the difference in meter?

Sethu,

It is not the Inverter, but please check your power bill as some power hike arears are being added since last 3 months here in AP. Some thing like that would be a reason, because normally people do not read the details mentioned on the bill in India[frustration] including me till sometime back. I got the same doubt 3 months back and it is not the inverter. you have to keep it on always and it just draws the power till battery gets recharge full and cuts off on its own

Thread Starter #12
check your fridge. Is it really old? switch off all appliances and check the meter reading.after that switch on one by one devices and check the difference in meter?
Releesh, yes it is very old one. I think around 9-10 years old.

Sethu,

It is not the Inverter, but please check your power bill as some power hike arears are being added since last 3 months here in AP. Some thing like that would be a reason, because normally people do not read the details mentioned on the bill in India[frustration] including me till sometime back.
RK Sir, am not having this problem recently. I have this for long time. Just look at the statement. in average I get something between 700 to 900 units.

eb statement.JPG

eb chart.JPG

I got the same doubt 3 months back and it is not the inverter. you have to keep it on always and it just draws the power till battery gets recharge full and cuts off on its own
Are you sure about that sir. as of now we got 2 hours power cut daily. if it is in the morning we don't use inverter power mostly except for bathroom lights. if it is in after noon we use for fan for 2 hours. apart from that battery drainage is very less.

Yes Sethu,

I am sure on that, after full recharge it will not draw power from the kind of inverter I have it is APC with a maintenance free battery bought 4 years back. If you have doubt please check the same with any inverter shop guy he will tell you and also check what kind of inverter you have. I only switch if off if we are completely out home for a week.

The power bills show your actual usage, so you may need to inspect that where more power is being used by your family members[;)]

TV,Fridge are common for anybody. Power bill be more based on the more usage of items like

iron box
geyser/heater
grinder/mixy

Thread Starter #14
iron box
geyser/heater
grinder/mixy
wwoooow.. I know that iron box and geyser consumes power. do you mean to say even grinder/mixy consumes a lot.

Now a days my wife stopped giving the dress for pressing to iron wala instead she does it at home. Let me check it by asking her to give it to iron wala.

Grinder/Mixie, I cant do anything[frustration] anyway let me talk to to wife and find a solution for this.

ironing consumes a lot of power but u need to weigh the cost visa-v the consumption. Here in my area, it costs Rs 5/cloth, so ironing at home comes out cheaper.

even the microwave, washing machine consumes lots of power.

there are some expenses which you have to take with a pinch of salt. Its better to look for additional ways to earn more as expenses are rising manifold along with cost cutting measures.

Top Bottom