DIY Help : Changing Silver Rims to Black w/o Spray Paint!

Thread Starter #1

lxi.

Suspended
Hi guys, I have a Maruti Suzuki Alto LXi in Silky Silver Colour.
I was just planning to upgrade the stock rims to Alloys but since the price is too much (10-12k) for Alloy Wheels and the resale won't fetch much even with alloys. So, Decided to save money by going with WHEEL COVERS (Full size, No hub caps) instead of Alloy Wheels.I already have Hubcaps (Simple small ones with "S" mark. I found a Wheel Cover design similar to that of Alloy and looks similar to alloy to the casual observer. The money saved atleast 9k will be used on ICE (Amplifier- 4ch and 12" sub)[;)]

Since the stock rims (Silver) could be seen even after putting wheel covers. I decided to paint my rims black. I am not a DIY expert, so don't wanna waste money on this DIY.

I have a Bottle (Container) of Paint getting WASTE. It is of some High Glossy Finish (Its an Automotive Paint for Cars) and in Black colour[thumbsup].

But the problem is that it is not SPRAY TYPE, It is just the type of paint we get at paint shops. So, CAN I USE IT TO PAINT THE WHEELS? IF SO, WHAT THING SHOULD I USE TO DO SO? PLEASE HELP GUYS![confused]

But the problem is that it is not SPRAY TYPE, It is just the type of paint we get at paint shops. So, CAN I USE IT TO PAINT THE WHEELS? IF SO, WHAT THING SHOULD I USE TO DO SO? PLEASE HELP GUYS![confused]
You can do it with brush, but make sure you sand the surface before applying the coat. Since the surface would be hidden under the wheel caps, even if the coat is non-uniform, it wont alter the appearance.

Thread Starter #3

lxi.

Suspended
But my stock rims are almost as new! No scratch, Bents!

Do you know what will be the cost of getting it done with a Local Paintshop.

I am thinking of first getting the Wheel Covers and then do it at home!

Cheers!

I just want to make a thread in the DIY section of my first DIY!

A local painter will charge you not more than 400bucks for the job, although just simple painting costs much lesser. I would say, with suitable things, the job can be completed as DIY.

Thread Starter #5

lxi.

Suspended
I hope it will be a DIY as I cannot wait till my next Scratch! LOL!
Whenever I go to the Shop, It takes a Whole day!

If its 400 bucks! Then I think it is ok.
Because the paint container , i am having is having very less paint! I dont want to go the Shop with one rim black and other silver!

Will post a pic tomorrow, so that i can show you the amount of paint!

Actually, I have not purchased it! When my car was for a dent and painting work in the aftermarket shop. Most probably, the guy left the container in my boot! Wheni reached home, came to know that some thing was banging on the dickey! So, This is how i found it!

OT: What is the selling price of used steel rims of alto? If it fetches you half the price of the alloys, you can consider that option too. I am sure there are many takers for it.

Thread Starter #7

lxi.

Suspended
I dont think the shop waaala, Sardar Ji (Read in Hindi) will let me negotiate for Alloys. When I first asked for alloy wheels price when my HEART GOT FIXED on them, He said "PAAJI, THE PRICE IS FIXED!". So, Plan to get wheel covers only. Maybe the Swift Type (Which akash has)

Akash, Can you post a pic of the Wheel covers of your car (If you have taken any before fixing Alloys)? I want to have a close look at them. How are they fixed (I know, By nuts, But I saw wheel covers with no nut like thing from outside!)

Akash, Can you post a pic of the Wheel covers of your car (If you have taken any before fixing Alloys)? I want to have a close look at them. How are they fixed (I know, By nuts, But I saw wheel covers with no nut like thing from outside!)
Please find the pics below for reference. These are the 3 designs of wheel caps which i used before switching to alloys.

First Set
01062008176.jpg

Second Set
SN851194.JPG

Third Set
SN854296.JPG

None of them was bolted, all of them were ring type.

Thread Starter #9

lxi.

Suspended
Thanks Akash. Your Alto Looked like any other Common seen ALtos, But in the third pic, Its killer!

OT : Buddy, There is a very Visible scratch in the third pic near the rear fender and a small dent (Maybe I am wrong) on the front door, top!

How are the ring type Wheelcovers held in thw rim? Are they simply pushed in ?

Last edited:

Top Bottom