DIY: Wheel Colour Change [The Proper + Cheap Solution]

Thread Starter #1
I had no money, but wanted a change of rims. Instead of spending big money on rims I like, I instead went and bought some paint and decided to spray my existing steelies. Previously, it was rolling on two different pairs of rims. One pair black and the other in a shade of silver. And recently, my brother ran up a kerb and managed to buckle a rim. Went to the wreckers and bought myself two spare rims and started spraying each wheel individually, yet keeping the car driveable.

Materials:
  • Wheel cleaner – Just any harsh detergent will do basically, I used laundry liquid.
  • Sand paper – Varying grits, I used 320, 280 and 150. Because I didn’t use a clear coat, I didn’t bother with any higher grit paper.
  • Masking tape – Having varying widths helps, but you could always use paper to cover up the rubber.
  • Lots of paper – Probably the best method of covering the whole wheel up, or you could use plastic wrap.
  • Plastic wrap – Easier to put on, but if you plan on removing it straight after spraying, be aware of over spray chipping onto wet paint. Even more, you won’t be able to mask it all up properly.
  • Filler primer or grey primer – I used grey, but if your rims are pretty hammered by the gutter/kerb, I suggest filler.
  • Colour of choice – Mine was SP997, Cast Iron, VHT High temp engine enamel.
wheel4.jpg
wheel5.jpg

Process:
Take the wheel off the car and give it a good wash inside out with a wheel cleaner. Let it dry and start sanding, you don’t need to go all hard out on sanding, you just need to make the surface rough so the paint sticks to it.
Mask off all the rubber and the remaining wheel; take your time here as you don’t want paint on the rubber you are planning to use.
wheel1.jpg wheel2.jpg wheel3.jpg wheel6.jpg wheel7.jpg
Spraying, start by a very light coat of primer and increase the volume each time. I did three coat of primer in total. Same with paint, a light coat and a slightly heavier coat. Wait 10-15 mins between each coat of spray, and sand accordingly if needed. Oh, and don’t forget to cut yourself when opening the can of paint like I did. N00B
wheel8.jpg wheel9.jpg wheel10.jpg
Leave it overnight and unmask the wheel in the morning, pat yourself on the back for a job well done. Yes, very simple.
wheel11.jpg wheel12.jpg
Advice: Safety first, use a spray mask at all times spraying paint or primer. Also, before you put the wheels back on the car, I suggest you let the paint cure. I put one wheel back on the car after 4 hours and I managed to scratch some paint around the wheel nuts with my wheel brace. Just use your nail and pinch an inconspicuous area and see if wether you are leaving a mark. If yes, don’t put it on just yet.

Re: DIY-Wheel colour change [The proper + Cheap solution]

Hey it looks cool man,
You have made a wonder to rim it looks impressive now.[clap]
One thing which I would like to mention you should have removed the weight on rim which is used for wheel balancing. Tyre polish will add more value to your efforts.
Hope for upcoming wheels you will take in to account.
Also like to appreciate the safety instructions.

Thread Starter #3

Hey it looks cool man,
You have made a wonder to rim it looks impressive now.[clap]
One thing which I would like to mention you should have removed the weight on rim which is used for wheel balancing. Tyre polish will add more value to your efforts.
Hope for upcoming wheels you will take in to account.
Also like to appreciate the safety instructions.
Thanks man, but yeah, I didn't want to mess with wheel weights as I put the wheel back in the same position and rotation as it used to be before paint. If you meant that I should have painted after removing them, nah, I only got my wheels balanced 2 weeks ago, so I'm not messing around with them just yet [;)]

Tyre shine will go on the tires once all the painting has been finished. I'll post up comparison pics of my whole car to show how much it has improved.

Cheers

Hey Manyu good DIY there , your rim looks cool with the new paint. And yeah comparison pictures will be nice.

Thread Starter #5

Hey Manyu good DIY there , your rim looks cool with the new paint. And yeah comparison pictures will be nice.
It definitely does, and the whole car looks a hell lot cleaner with them on. I'll get some pictures for you guys soon. I just haven't had anytime because of my fast approaching exams.

350Z

Core Team

Nicely explained DIY with pictorial representation. It was easy and effective, and the difference is certainly noticeable. Good job.

Drive Safe,
350Z

Very nicely explained DIY! Wheels look great after the spray! I am assuming they can be coloured in different shades [:)]

Thread Starter #8

Nicely explained DIY with pictorial representation. It was easy and effective, and the difference is certainly noticeable. Good job.

Drive Safe,
350Z
I should add, the car looks way better than it was before. I am more than happy with the result.

Very nicely explained DIY! Wheels look great after the spray! I am assuming they can be coloured in different shades [:)]
Thanks mate, yeah, they can be coloured whatever your choice, its just the technique and process that I was explaining :)

thats awesome, really appreciate ur work. its easy but makes a lotta difference.

can the same be done to alloy wheels? can the color of alloy whhels be changed???

Thread Starter #10

thats awesome, really appreciate ur work. its easy but makes a lotta difference.

can the same be done to alloy wheels? can the color of alloy whhels be changed???
yes mate, its the same process. it will infact be easIer on alloys I think.

that looks like you bought the paint from Autobahn hehe in Australia isnt it

I did that on my skyline's wheels

*Autobarn. yep, cheapest I could get.
i got 3 cans of it. i had a coupon from entertainment book and i got it for 25% discount not bad at all.
i have done some engine enamel on my skyline.installed a pod filter, blow off valve,music system, battery ,pedals ,exhaust..
most of the stuff i did myself.
ill post up here

Thread Starter #14

i got 3 cans of it. i had a coupon from entertainment book and i got it for 25% discount not bad at all.
i have done some engine enamel on my skyline.installed a pod filter, blow off valve,music system, battery ,pedals ,exhaust..
most of the stuff i did myself.
ill post up here
Yeah man, just take your time and try to make it as clear as possible. I'm sure it will help a lot of people on here. I'm keen to see the BOV install, have never actually worked on a SR engine before, so It'll be nice to know more [:)]

Oh yeah I'll do that tonight.
RB engines are pretty fun to work with

Top Bottom