Hello friends ,time for another DIY !
My M800 2005 model had started to make a repetitive high pitch sound on the left side when cornering initially and then sooner became constant indicative of a CV Joint issue.
The part as a whole had to be change which meant changing out the entire left side drive shaft.
1. When the car is on the ground use 30 mm hex socket to break lose the axle nut .Use a extension rod to make things easier as they are very tight.
2. Next loosen the wheel lug nuts, jack up the car and place it on jack stands.
3. Identify 2 transmission drain plugs on the bottom and undo them with the special tool
4. Drain the oil completely, clean the magnetic plugs of metal shavings if any and put them back into the respective drain holes.
5. Next remove the 14 mm pinch bolt holing the lower control arm ball joint and remove the lower ball joint.
6. Now the axle can be gently removed from the wheel hub.
7. Use a thick screwdriver /pry bar and slowly wedge between the clutch ends of shaft and clutch housing.
8. The shaft will pop out from the snap-ring which holds it in place
9. Clean the Mating surface with WD40 and wipe it dry.
10. Apply fresh transmission oil to male and female mating surfaces and gently seat the shaft into the position.
11. Insert the wheel side into the hub and gently insert the ball join in to its position on the knuckle.
12. Apply the pinch bolt and tighten it
13. Place the new axle bolt and tighten it .Torque it after lowering the car to the ground.
14. Now pour 2 liters of fresh transmission oil from the upper side using a funnel and thin hose through the fill plug.
15. Torque all bolts and drain plugs to specifications:
Drain plug: 21Nm
Pinch bolt: 55Nm
Axle nut: 175Nm
Wheel lug nuts: 55Nm
Take the car for a slow speed test drive .Check for abnormal sounds ;my car was silent as a whisper.
Come back home and again inspect for oil leakages from the bottom and check levels using dipstick in the fill hole .
yet another DIY successfully.