Maruti 800 DIY: Flexible Brake Hose Replacement

Thread Starter #1
Brake hoses are an important part of the brake system .They face immense pressure from the brake fluid and also have to survive the harsh environment[frustration].
I chose to replace all brake hoses under preventative care as I notice chaffing of the external hose surface .
Method :
1. The customary jacking up of car and placement of jack stands with rear wheel chocks; douse all the bolts with penetrating fluid WD40 at start of the entire process to sufficiently help in removing the bolts
2. Wash with diesel,soap and water and WD40 all the parts of the hoses which need removal to prevent contamination of the closed system
3. The hose needs disconnection at 3 areas; from the steel brake piping, a bracket on the knuckle and from the brake caliper.
4. I strongly recommend to get a set of flare nut wrench as they are very useful to remove the delicate bolts and the bleeder screw without rounding of the edges.
5. There are 2 E-rings /clips for retention of the hose on the wheel well and knuckle which are easily removed by prying with a screwdriver or use a curved cutting plier.
6. First , break lose the bolts at the steel pipe end and caliper end to be sure they can be removed .
7. Next undo the E-rings.
8. Now undo the 10 mm screw at the upper end of the steel brake pipe where it meets the flexible hose .Insert the plastic cap at the mouth of the screw to prevent loss of brake fluid .Use a tray at the bottom to catch excess fluid leaking.
9. Then remove the hose from the knuckle bracket
10. Undo the 14 mm Banjo bolt holding the caliper end of the flexible hose pipe .
11. Clean the areas with fresh brake fluid only and not anything else so as to contaminate the system
12. Now start assembly from the caliper end; loosely attach the banjo bolt with new crush washers.
13. Align and fix the E-ring at the knuckle bracket and finally screw-in the nut at the upper end at steel pipe with hand.
14. Take care to not cross thread either at the steel pipe end or the banjo bolt end ;use your tactile sensation to feel the threads entering smoothly .
15. Now tighten the 10 mm screw with the flare nut wrench snuggly and the caliper end Banjo bolt to 23Nm.
16. Undo the 10 mm bleeder screw and now do gravity bleeding to allow fluid through the new hose .
17. Top up the master cylinder with fresh brake fluid and perform brake bleeding to ensure proper brake function .
18. Take the car in slow speeds and ensure braking quality is adequate .[:D]Also rinse areas with spilled brake fluid with soapy water as it can corrode paint .

Attachments

Thread Starter #2
Re: M800 diy flexible brake hose replacement

UPDATE :
I quickly will post the work done the rear flexible hose also .The principles and techniques holds good for the rear hose also .The access is just a little bit difficult but can be easily overcome by adequately positioning yourself through the wheel well.Again i should stress upon having flare nut wrenches ;they make life whole lot easier [clap]

Attachments

Nice Task and you are inspiring other young enthusiastic like you to do DIY by sharing your experience. Wish I were 30 years younger.

By the by which camera you are using because your photos come like a professional photographer.

Regards
Shenoy

Thread Starter #4

Nice Task and you are inspiring other young enthusiastic like you to do DIY by sharing your experience. Wish I were 30 years younger.

By the by which camera you are using because your photos come like a professional photographer.

Regards
Shenoy
thank you sir [:D]but we all look upto you for being so enthusiastic at your age which i hope to have [clap]when i reach there !
I am using my redmi4A budget smart phone for the photography ..i thought the clarity wasn't enough and was about to whisk out my DSLR .Since the image clarity is good enough and the mobile being handy during those tight spaces i get into,i shall possibly still use the same in future too.My daughter too can handle the mobile for photos better with the phone [glasses]

I have lava 97A which is a bigger one with better camera but I normally use lava - mini since the photo clarity is good in this one. Strange but true. That is why I said your photo clarity is better than mine.

Top Bottom