The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/31842-diy-caterham-7-look-alike.html)

swapnilnimbalkar 7th August 2017 11:01 PM

DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike
 
5 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I am Swapnil from Thane, Maharashtra.

I love Caterham 7 and always wanted to buy it. But unfortunately that is very costly affair. So I thought lets build one.

Yes, currently the project is underway. I am building a Caterham 7 lookalike (I wont say its a replica but can be called as Locost 7)

I am stuck with the fiber moulding part, it needs the fenders and nose cone to be made in fiber. I was looking for some help, where can i get the fiber moulding part done at cheaper rate in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai

Thanks

Here are few pics.

Akash1886 7th August 2017 11:10 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swapnilnimbalkar (Post 545226)
Hello everyone,

I am Swapnil from Thane, Maharashtra.

I love Caterham 7 and always wanted to buy it. But unfortunately that is very costly affair. So I thought lets build one.

Wonderful attempt buddy. Hope you complete the same soon. You may try out the following dealer in Mumbai

Quote:

Shetty Motor Stores

Automobile spare parts wholesaler in Mumbai, India
Address: Shop No 1,2,3,.Hansraj Damodar Building, Kennedy Bridge, Opp Pareikh, Market, Opera House, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400004
Phone: 022 2382 1390
Do keep us posted on the project's progress.

All the best!

Regards

Akash

swapnilnimbalkar 7th August 2017 11:34 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash1886 (Post 545229)
Wonderful attempt buddy. Hope you complete the same soon. You may try out the following dealer in Mumbai



Do keep us posted on the project's progress.

All the best!

Regards

Akash

Hey Akash!

Thank you so much for the reply, I appreciate that.

I wanted to know about the people / dealers who are expert in fiber moulding and undertake vehicle related projects.

Swapnil

Akash1886 7th August 2017 11:42 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swapnilnimbalkar (Post 545230)
I wanted to know about the people / dealers who are expert in fiber moulding and undertake vehicle related projects.

Swapnil, maybe the dealer mentioned above could be of help to you. Just try out.

Regards

Akash

swapnilnimbalkar 8th August 2017 12:22 AM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Akash1886 (Post 545231)
Swapnil, maybe the dealer mentioned above could be of help to you. Just try out.

Regards

Akash

I will for sure!!

Nanofreak 8th August 2017 07:28 AM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swapnilnimbalkar (Post 545226)
Hello everyone,

I am Swapnil from Thane, Maharashtra.

I love Caterham 7 and always wanted to buy it. But unfortunately that is very costly affair. So I thought lets build one.

Yes, currently the project is underway. I am building a Caterham 7 lookalike (I wont say its a replica but can be called as Locost 7)

I am stuck with the fiber moulding part, it needs the fenders and nose cone to be made in fiber. I was looking for some help, where can i get the fiber moulding part done at cheaper rate in Mumbai/Thane/Navi Mumbai

Thanks

Here are few pics.

Hi @Swapnil, this looks a labour of love, inquisitive to know the engine and is it FWD or RWD.

If fiber wheel arch can't be done, get it done in steel.

All the best, for this project, I'm glued to this thread.

Regards
Vinod

vdm295 8th August 2017 12:33 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Hey Swapnil, Lovely work. Why don't you start a thread & put up all the details of the build. It would be very interesting to know about what chassis, engine, etc used to built this car.
All the best for the built.
Regards
vdm295

bhvm 8th August 2017 01:14 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 lookalike
 
Its looking interesting! Good luck and keep it up!

swapnilnimbalkar 8th August 2017 01:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
@Vinod Sir

Yes it was labour intensive and lots n lots of learning.

Since I am not from engineering background I had to learn a lot. I mean had to start from A B C of vehicle dynamics, suspension design, space frame chassis design etc. Even I had to learn basic software like solidworks to design the chassis, I designed about 37 chassis and this is 37th design which was finalised.

The dimensions were taken from photographs of the real car (Caterham 7), I put the photographs in 3D CAD software and roughly calculated the dimensions.

Technical Specifications:

Motive for building : Pure passion nothing else
Donor Car : Maruti Suzuki Omni/Van (MPFi)
Chassis : Space frame chassis
FWD/RWD? : RWD
Front Suspension : Double wishbone with coilover
Coilover : Honda Activa - rear (hehe)
Rear Suspension : Parallel Leaf Spring (Yes that is true, I think this is world's first locost 7 with parallel leaf)
Steering : Rack and pinion (Manual) from TATA Nano
Engine : 800cc
Brakes : All drum brakes

Material used:
1 in X 1 in 16 gauge RHS were used to build the chassis
sheetmetal used is 20 gauge (patra) - for making panels
bonnet is handmade

Still work under progress..... office se chutti le leke kaam chal raha hai.

Work will resume after monsoon, may be by september end.

more pics...

Prakritij 11th August 2017 01:49 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike
 
1 Attachment(s)
Awesome effort for your passion brother.
The Maruti Omni comes with front discs. Can't those be used for both front and rear brakes?
The 800cc engine makes some 37bhp of power and 59Nm of torque. You may consider to get more output from the engine(porting, boring, etc...the gurus here may help).
You may also use fibre panels instead of the sheet metal ones to reduce the weight.

Additionally, you may opt to fabricate a roll cage for safety as in this pic, where the IRVM/ORVMs can also be mounted(another safety aspect):
Attachment 229769

Just my 2 cents.

Kudos to your efforts to make your dream a reality.
I am hooked to this thread.

Nanofreak 11th August 2017 07:16 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swapnilnimbalkar (Post 545269)
@Vinod Sir

Yes it was labour intensive and lots n lots of learning.

Since I am not from engineering background I had to learn a lot. I mean had to start from A B C of vehicle dynamics, suspension design, space frame chassis design etc. Even I had to learn basic software like solidworks to design the chassis, I designed about 37 chassis and this is 37th design which was finalised.

The dimensions were taken from photographs of the real car (Caterham 7), I put the photographs in 3D CAD software and roughly calculated the dimensions.

Technical Specifications:

Motive for building : Pure passion nothing else
Donor Car : Maruti Suzuki Omni/Van (MPFi)
Chassis : Space frame chassis
FWD/RWD? : RWD
Front Suspension : Double wishbone with coilover
Coilover : Honda Activa - rear (hehe)
Rear Suspension : Parallel Leaf Spring (Yes that is true, I think this is world's first locost 7 with parallel leaf)
Steering : Rack and pinion (Manual) from TATA Nano
Engine : 800cc
Brakes : All drum brakes

Material used:
1 in X 1 in 16 gauge RHS were used to build the chassis
sheetmetal used is 20 gauge (patra) - for making panels
bonnet is handmade

Still work under progress..... office se chutti le leke kaam chal raha hai.

Work will resume after monsoon, may be by september end.

more pics...

@Swapnil this isn't the work of a novice, but a passionate man following his desire/dream into a work of art.

I don't know what the final color of your car will be, let me suggest for the wheel arch, ready-made chrome bike mudguards, bullet or something similar depending on the final wheel size, it will look different.

All the best.

Regards
Vinod

swapnilnimbalkar 23rd November 2017 08:22 PM

Re: DIY Caterham 7 Look-Alike
 
Hello Everyone,

I am building this car, but now I don't have enough money to finish the car. So selling it. It's my personal project (not a college project), If anyone is interested kindly let me know.

What is remaining?
Fiber moulding part is remaining, which is out of my budget.
You will have to make a Nosecone, Fenders and a rear cover. You will have to change the tires (may be rims) too, battery is required.

Please contact if you have keen interest in buying this unfinished car and may be want to complete the project.

Swapnil N.


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 12:29 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.