DIY: Android Tablet as Car's IVI

Thread Starter #1
Hi!
I am looking for some basic as well as expert advice on how to install an Android tablet as my car's IVI. Saw some vids online and I think it's a cool DIY but what do I say... am a complete noob when it comes to wiring, adapters, compatibility etc.
Here’s what I want to do:
1) Replace the stock display with tablet – will use a double din fascia.
2) Tablet to start and shuts down with car ignition – wish to use the USB port for this.
3) Play audio via car’s stock speakers, wish to hook up tablet’s AV out to wiring harness. Issue: have no idea on how to do it… [embarass][confused]
4) Will hookup display of OBD II scanner via Wi-Fi/BT.
5) Wish to mirror my mobile phone to tablet to make/receive calls.
So basically tablet boots up when car starts and I use it for music, navigation, OBD II display and one off calling needs.
Could the experts guide me..

Saw some vids online and I think it's a cool DIY but what do I say... am a complete noob when it comes to wiring, adapters, compatibility etc.
Put a little more effort to search for the required details as well, they are available in plenty.

3) Play audio via car’s stock speakers, wish to hook up tablet’s AV out to wiring harness. Issue: have no idea on how to do it
Once the stock display / HU is removed, you need an additional amplifier to get the sound play back through stock (or what ever) speakers.

Hi!
I am looking for some basic as well as expert advice on how to install an Android tablet as my car's IVI. Saw some vids online and I think it's a cool DIY but what do I say... am a complete noob when it comes to wiring, adapters, compatibility etc.
2) Tablet to start and shuts down with car ignition – wish to use the USB port for this.
3) Play audio via car’s stock speakers, wish to hook up tablet’s AV out to wiring harness. Issue: have no idea on how to do it… [embarass][confused]
So basically tablet boots up when car starts and I use it for music, navigation, OBD II display and one off calling needs.
1. Totally replacing the HU with just tab you would need an external 2/4 channel amp to drive the speakers plus AUX cable, Y splitter(s) etc. (you can avoid the extra cabling y using a good car BT amp).
2. For this you need to be rooted and run a specific tasker profile.
3. Tab cant hook up to car's wiring harness, you would need amp and Y splitters.
4. Obviously :)
5. again you need to be rooted and have a custom rom that supports mirroring.

Even I am planning to put a tab in my car but I will definitely retain the HU (move it someplace else maybe) as I need the audio quality so the preamps of the HU help. Am planning to link the tab via BT to the HU and from thereon everything remains as it is today. All the best.

Last edited:

kkn13

Suspended
Hi!
2) Possible with Nexus 7 flashed with Timur's USB ROM from XDA

4) Easy via Torque app and you can also use Torque plugin from XDA to run it in Android Auto (Though its not supported if you run Android Auto on your phone instead of dedicated HU at the moment, might be updated soon)

5) Very difficult and Id suggest simply buying a decent bluetooth receiver like Sony SBH20, connect to aux and use it in multi pair mode wherein you can pair phone and tablet at the same time and itll auto switch/ auto pause if you get a call on your phone. You can answer calls via the centre button on the SBH20

Oh and unless you have a Nexus 7 lying around, Id suggest buying a Mi Max 1 or Max2 , its a large phone (6.5 inch) and will serve the purpose miles better than any android tablet which are generally of poor quality and underspecced

Last edited:

Top Bottom