DIY Caliper Kit Replacement For Maruti 800

Thread Starter #1
Hello friends, time for another DIY on my 2005 model M800.This time it was a preventive maintenance on the front disc brakes .I had noticed a lot of brake dust accumulating on the left hand side rims and inspected the brakes after removal of the tyre.I found the boot to be damaged and hence led to this DIY.

MATERIALS NEEDED :

!)JACK AND JACK STANDS

2)CALIPER BOOT AND PIN KIT FROM MGP COST 147 PER SIDE

3)SOCKET WRENCH SET

4)PROTECTIVE EYE WEAR AND MASK

5)ALL PURPOSE CLEANER IN SPRAY BOTTLE AND OLD TOOTH BRUSH

6)PLAIN WATER FOR RINSING

METHOD:

chock the wheels and jack up the car and install the jack stands securely.Remove the wheels and access the brake calipers.Using 11mm socket loosen the caliper bolt one on the top and one on the bottom.Hold on to the caliper as it will spring open due to the tension on the shims.

Next secure the loosened caliper on top of the disc rotor so as to not stretch the brake fluid hose .Now the caliper pin and rubber boot can be removed from their respective channels .Mine were deteriorated so i replaced with the new caliper kit as it is inexpensive .The kit comes with 2 bolts,2 caliper pins,2 rubber boots and a sachet of caliper grease.

Clean the channel using a degreaser/mineral spirits to get rid of all old grease and dirt.Use soap and water to finally rinse of the brake dust from the calipers and surrounding areas .Its a good time to inspect your rotor and brake shoe condition and do replace them if needed .

Next apply the provided caliper grease onto the caliper pin and insert the rubber boot over it and ensure the ends of the rubber boot fits into a metal groove to be held securely in place during function. Repeat same for all caliper pins and ensure you don't drop it down as mud and grit can ruin your freshly greased pin.

Next clean the shims and put it back in place with just a small coating of grease to prevent wear due to metal to metal contact.Install the brake shoes in the right orientation and finally slide the caliper into position and insert the bolts securely with finger tightening evenly in upper and lower channels.

Next secure the bolts using a wrench and then check if everything is securely fitting.Look for any oil leakage from the caliper.Pump the brakes so that the fluid moves to compress the brake shoe against the rotor till you feel tightness.Finally secure the tyre in place with the lug nuts and your done ![:D]

Take a slow paced test drive on a safe road and check the brakes for any problems.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Top Bottom