The Automotive India

The Automotive India (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/)
-   Do It Yourself (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/)
-   -   DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi (http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/forums/do-yourself/24784-diy-maf-cleaning-my-swift-zdi.html)

anuraagshenoy 4th January 2016 10:24 PM

DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
2 Attachment(s)
Putting down the details on performing a DIY on cleaning the MAF Sensor on my Swift ZDi.

Q: What is an MAF?
A: It is a Mass Air Flow Sensor.

Q: Where is it located?
A: It is located between the Air filter box and intake manifold.

Q: What is it's function?
A: It measures the density of the air and flow of air to the intake manifold.

Q: Will there be any difference post cleaning? Will the pick up or FE increase?
A: I'd say no! May be there would be a finer change but nothing eye opening. As the MAF on my car was good with no issues in drivability or FE.


Attachment 189651
Source: Google Images.

Things required to perform the DIY (Below Picture):
  1. Zip Lock bags - 3 no's
  2. Flat head No.: 7mm
  3. Philips Head No.: 2
  4. Flank Socket: 10mm
  5. Extension Bar
  6. Ratchet Handle
  7. IPA - 100% (preferably as it dries up faster) --- 1 Litre is enough IMO.

Attachment 189650

NOTE: Though there was nothing wrong with my car for me to perform this DIY. It was just to see how is the condition of the sensor after 1.2 years and 39,000 kms on the odometer. No low performance or smoke or low FE being experienced. Now the car is 2 years old and has 66,000 kms on its odometer. I'll be repeating this after the car touches 70,000 kms which is another 40 days max.

anuraagshenoy 4th January 2016 10:40 PM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in my Swift ZDi
 
14 Attachment(s)
Procedure to perform the Cleaning of the MAF is as follows in 2 broad steps:
  1. Removing MAF for cleaning,
  2. Cleaning the MAF.
__________________________________________________ ____________

1) Removing the MAF for Cleaning:
  • Clean the area around the air filter box, MAF and the Air intake pipe (rubber hose);
  • Disconnect the battery terminals
  • Remove the electric coupler;
  • Using the Philips head 2, open the screws holding the air filter box;
  • Once the air filter box is opened, use the flat head screw - 7mm to loosen the clamp;
  • With the clamp now loose, Detach the rubber air intake pipe;
  • Using the Flank socket 10mm, unscrew the two bolts holding the MAF sensor. MAF is now free and ready for cleaning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Cleaning the MAF:
  • Once the MAF is removed, first thing to do is - wipe it gently with a damp cloth to remove the dirt/dust before cleaning it with IPA.
  • Put the MAF in the Zip-lock pouch, pour in the IPA.
  • Lock the pouch and shake it gently to loosen the dirt trapped by the mesh;
  • Let it rest for 10-15 mins. Remove the sensor from the pouch and collect the IPA used first time, add some fresh IPA and let it sit for 2-3 minutes;
  • Repeat the above step depending on how dirty the sensor is as it will evident after the first bath
  • Remove the sensor from the IPA bath and let it dry completely.

Last but not the least:
Did check the ECU for any error codes or any such indication but good that nothing came up.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Now I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Air Filter box + MAF
Attachment 189652

MAF Sensor
Attachment 189653

Coupler Removed
Attachment 189654

Air Filter box base
Attachment 189655

Air Intake Pipe
Attachment 189656

Intake manifold side mesh
Attachment 189657

Air filter outlet side
Attachment 189658

Electrical connection in centre
Attachment 189659

MAF - Free for cleaning
Attachment 189660

MAF dipped & soaked in IPA
Attachment 189661

First Bath residue
Attachment 189662

IPA Collected after cleaning
Attachment 189663

Details from ECU - Before & After cleaning the MAF
Attachment 189666

Checked the ECU for any Error Codes, If stored (DTC's)
Attachment 189667

Hope this helps for all who are thinking of attempting to clean this as the ASC's never touch this unless a problem is reported by the customer.

Thanks for reading guys. :)

350Z 6th January 2016 02:22 PM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
Note: Thread Now Live. Thanks!

Drive Safe,
350Z

Srikanth 21st February 2016 02:07 AM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
Good info Anurag ,
in first service the Mass guy did a air filter cleaning by blowing air into it,is there any way to clean it with liquid?
and good to see you in TAI
I follow your thread on swift zdi ,literally after reading your thread I made my decision on my swift dzire vdi
AND my car clocked 7k on odo and mid shows a constant 18.4 kmpl,at first I thought this was due to my driving style but then no matter how I drive
it shows the same.
Recently did a trip of 200 kms driving around 70-80kmph and once the mid goes up to 18.6 and settled at 18.5,is this normal??
and car is in 80% highway 20% city driving

anuraagshenoy 21st February 2016 03:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Srikanth (Post 488585)
Good info Anurag ,
in first service the Mass guy did a air filter cleaning by blowing air into it,is there any way to clean it with liquid?

AND my car clocked 7k on odo and mid shows a constant 18.4 kmpl,at first I thought this was due to my driving style but then no matter how I drive
it shows the same.

Recently did a trip of 200 kms driving around 70-80kmph and once the mid goes up to 18.6 and settled at 18.5,is this normal??

I change the air filter every 10K kms which is every 3 months for my driving. I don't blue pressurized air into any other filters. I tap it against the ground to loosen out the dirt then use a vacuum cleaner to pull out anything that is stuck.

NO usage of liquids whatsoever. NEVER. These filters are all dry ones that only need to be replaced once dirty. No washing or heavy cleaning to be done.

Regarding the FE display in the MID, make it a habit to reset the average FE after every refill. It'll give you the exact reading and keep you updated with real time FE. I am getting between 20.4 to 21 kmpl. My usage of 55% city and 45% highway with 110 kms a day at minimum.

teamsachinf1 21st February 2016 12:50 PM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
What is IPA ? Is it Isopropyle alcohol or rubbing alcohol ! Kindly elaborate .
Nice DIY mate !

anuraagshenoy 22nd February 2016 01:51 AM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by teamsachinf1 (Post 488617)
What is IPA ? Is it Isopropyle alcohol or rubbing alcohol ! Kindly elaborate .
Nice DIY mate !

Thanks buddy.

IPA: Iso Propyl Alcohol.

ameyam 25th February 2016 11:51 PM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
While i dont intend to clean my MAF, i would really like to own that torque settable rachet wrench. Where did you get it from & at what cost?

Ameyam

anuraagshenoy 26th February 2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ameyam (Post 489335)
While i dont intend to clean my MAF, i would really like to own that torque settable rachet wrench. Where did you get it from & at what cost?

Ameyam

Got it from Ebay for 900 bucks IIRC.

It is just a rachet set . Not adjustable.

GSM3155 15th September 2016 11:40 AM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in my Swift ZDi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anuraagshenoy (Post 481139)
Procedure to perform the Cleaning of the MAF is as follows in 2 broad steps:
  1. Removing MAF for cleaning,
  2. Cleaning the MAF.
__________________________________________________ ____________

1) Removing the MAF for Cleaning:
  • Clean the area around the air filter box, MAF and the Air intake pipe (rubber hose);
  • Disconnect the battery terminals
  • Remove the electric coupler;
  • Using the Philips head 2, open the screws holding the air filter box;
  • Once the air filter box is opened, use the flat head screw - 7mm to loosen the clamp;
  • With the clamp now loose, Detach the rubber air intake pipe;
  • Using the Flank socket 10mm, unscrew the two bolts holding the MAF sensor. MAF is now free and ready for cleaning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Cleaning the MAF:
  • Once the MAF is removed, first thing to do is - wipe it gently with a damp cloth to remove the dirt/dust before cleaning it with IPA.
  • Put the MAF in the Zip-lock pouch, pour in the IPA.
  • Lock the pouch and shake it gently to loosen the dirt trapped by the mesh;
  • Let it rest for 10-15 mins. Remove the sensor from the pouch and collect the IPA used first time, add some fresh IPA and let it sit for 2-3 minutes;
  • Repeat the above step depending on how dirty the sensor is as it will evident after the first bath
  • Remove the sensor from the IPA bath and let it dry completely.

Last but not the least:
Did check the ECU for any error codes or any such indication but good that nothing came up.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Now I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Air Filter box + MAF
Attachment 189652

MAF Sensor
Attachment 189653

Coupler Removed
Attachment 189654

Air Filter box base
Attachment 189655

Air Intake Pipe
Attachment 189656

Intake manifold side mesh
Attachment 189657

Air filter outlet side
Attachment 189658

Electrical connection in centre
Attachment 189659

MAF - Free for cleaning
Attachment 189660

MAF dipped & soaked in IPA
Attachment 189661

First Bath residue
Attachment 189662

IPA Collected after cleaning
Attachment 189663

Details from ECU - Before & After cleaning the MAF
Attachment 189666

Checked the ECU for any Error Codes, If stored (DTC's)
Attachment 189667

Hope this helps for all who are thinking of attempting to clean this as the ASC's never touch this unless a problem is reported by the customer.

Thanks for reading guys. :)


Sir i will be thankful if you tell which OBD tool u are using and which software on the mobile ?

KARANWAL 16th September 2016 03:58 AM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
Hi Anurag,

Let me start by saying that I am a newbee and this is my first post.
I started following a4anurag few months back on and on this as well and I must say you truly love your car.

Swift VDi is my first personal car, 4 years of ownership and driving +85K, I must say I never spent a second on things like detailing or gave a thought on which speaker/AMP or HU I should install in it until I accidentally bump on Team-BHP website and your posts.

Now after reading your posts and love towards your car I am trying to redo all the things in my car as well and I must say I am loving it.

So thank you so much for your detailed posts and I am sure there are thousands of others like me getting inspired from your posts.

Thanks,
Ankur Karanwal

GSM3155 17th September 2016 09:34 AM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in my Swift ZDi
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by anuraagshenoy (Post 481139)
Procedure to perform the Cleaning of the MAF is as follows in 2 broad steps:
  1. Removing MAF for cleaning,
  2. Cleaning the MAF.
__________________________________________________ ____________

1) Removing the MAF for Cleaning:
  • Clean the area around the air filter box, MAF and the Air intake pipe (rubber hose);
  • Disconnect the battery terminals
  • Remove the electric coupler;
  • Using the Philips head 2, open the screws holding the air filter box;
  • Once the air filter box is opened, use the flat head screw - 7mm to loosen the clamp;
  • With the clamp now loose, Detach the rubber air intake pipe;
  • Using the Flank socket 10mm, unscrew the two bolts holding the MAF sensor. MAF is now free and ready for cleaning.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Cleaning the MAF:
  • Once the MAF is removed, first thing to do is - wipe it gently with a damp cloth to remove the dirt/dust before cleaning it with IPA.
  • Put the MAF in the Zip-lock pouch, pour in the IPA.
  • Lock the pouch and shake it gently to loosen the dirt trapped by the mesh;
  • Let it rest for 10-15 mins. Remove the sensor from the pouch and collect the IPA used first time, add some fresh IPA and let it sit for 2-3 minutes;
  • Repeat the above step depending on how dirty the sensor is as it will evident after the first bath
  • Remove the sensor from the IPA bath and let it dry completely.

Last but not the least:
Did check the ECU for any error codes or any such indication but good that nothing came up.
__________________________________________________ ____________

Now I'll let the pictures do the talking:

Air Filter box + MAF
Attachment 189652

MAF Sensor
Attachment 189653

Coupler Removed
Attachment 189654

Air Filter box base
Attachment 189655

Air Intake Pipe
Attachment 189656

Intake manifold side mesh
Attachment 189657

Air filter outlet side
Attachment 189658

Electrical connection in centre
Attachment 189659

MAF - Free for cleaning
Attachment 189660

MAF dipped & soaked in IPA
Attachment 189661

First Bath residue
Attachment 189662

IPA Collected after cleaning
Attachment 189663

Details from ECU - Before & After cleaning the MAF
Attachment 189666

Checked the ECU for any Error Codes, If stored (DTC's)
Attachment 189667

Hope this helps for all who are thinking of attempting to clean this as the ASC's never touch this unless a problem is reported by the customer.

Thanks for reading guys. :)

Sir may i know which OBD tool u are using ? nd if u can post the link to the same ! and the phone software please so that it would be easy for us to check our cars

anuraagshenoy 18th September 2016 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSM3155 (Post 513623)
Sir may i know which OBD tool u are using ? nd if u can post the link to the same ! and the phone software please so that it would be easy for us to check our cars

I bought the ELM 327 Bluetooth OBDII reader from Ebay.

Software is Torque PRO for Android available in play store.

GSM3155 19th September 2016 09:10 PM

Re: DIY: MAF Cleaning in My Swift ZDi
 
Sir can you provide the link please ? The one which you purchased !![:)][:)]
Because their are tons of them on same name
and I am having Swift VDi 2012 (Without ABS)

anuraagshenoy 19th September 2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GSM3155 (Post 513817)
Sir can you provide the link please ? The one which you purchased !![:)][:)]
Because their are tons of them on same name
and I am having Swift VDi 2012 (Without ABS)

Here it is :

http://www.ebay.in/itm/131276221087


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 05:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.
©2008 - 2017, The Automotive India. All Rights Reserved.