DIY: Installing Reverse Parking Camera with Monitor

Thread Starter #1
Hi guys. I am installing Reverse parking camera with monitor in my car to be safer while reversing ,parking my car. I have purchased Night vision parking camera with 4.3 inch monitor from ebay. Here is the whole process:
First of all please check the whole kit to make sure that camera and monitor are working properly . One of the most important tool is hole saw drill bit, which is part of your kit you purchase. Without this tool it will be very difficult to make hole of proper size to fit camera in rear bumper. Other tools you need are Drill , screw driver kit,plier, elecric tape , knife, some pieces of clothes .
Most important things you need are very basic knowledge of electrical and lots of patience .
To place the monitor on dashboard you need double sided tape. Then route the wires to right side behind the dashboard. Now remove all the pads which covers the wiring running to rear side from dashboard , including B pillar seat belt area cover and door sill guards. I had to remove the rear seat also, you can skip it if you can manage to route wires through side panels . Now take the long video cable from the kit and route it from dashboard to rear right taillight.Remove taillight assembly if needed . Now route the power cable from taillight to underside of rear bumper through taillight housing . Route the video cable the same way too. Now route a single wire the same way you routed the video cable from taillight to dashboard and connect it to positive wire of monitor power cable. Make negative connection to car body. Now in taillight assembly socket find the reverse lamp power cable and make the connections ,so that the camera will turn on automatically when reverse gear will be slotted, and remains off other time. Now measure the rear bumper and mark the center point. Choose your required hight and mark the area to make the hole for camera. Using the given tool (hole saw) with drill machine , carefully make the hole. Fit the camera in the hole and secure it properly . Now make all the connections and cover the connectors and naked wires with tape properly . Refit all the parts back to their places carefully . Your reverse parking camera is ready to use. Enjoy [;)]
IMG_20151106_160044.jpg

IMG_20151106_160025.jpg

IMG_20151106_155951.jpg

IMG_20151106_155935.jpg

IMG_20151106_155902.jpg

IMG_20151106_155918.jpg

IMG_20151106_155828.jpg
Continue .....

Wonderful and neat DIY Saroya. I have been a fan of your DIY works! How much was the cost involved? And is there any way to fit the camera without a drill machine? I mean can we make the hole without a drill machine also?

Thread Starter #5
Wonderful and neat DIY Saroya. I have been a fan of your DIY works! How much was the cost involved? And is there any way to fit the camera without a drill machine? I mean can we make the hole without a drill machine also?
Thanks Buddy [:D]
Due to festive season there are big discount on all types of things in markets and on online stores. I purchased this kit for Rs. 1300 only [;)]
Without drill machine it is nearly impossible to make perfect hole without damaging the bumper. If you don't have drill machine , borrow from someone or take your car to a local mechanic and give your hole saw drill bit and ask him to make a hole for you.

i must say (hatna ni vere tu aat kervaono) just a joke apart.i am huge fan of your every DIY because every think is neat any clean and you didn't do any jugad [:D]

Due to festive season there are big discount on all types of things in markets and on online stores. I purchased this kit for Rs. 1300 only [;)]
Without drill machine it is nearly impossible to make perfect hole without damaging the bumper. If you don't have drill machine , borrow from someone or take your car to a local mechanic and give your hole saw drill bit and ask him to make a hole for you.
Link please. I will order it right away. It is indeed a steal, I had got my Parking sensors for Rs. 4000 from MGA. I hope you'll guide me through the process, if I end up confused somewhere.

Sorry for back to back posts.

Saroya, would you recommend this one (https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161876866275) or the one you ordered (https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161876864945)?

The product you have has 6 month warranty while the other has 1 year warranty. I think the RVM type one would be better for a difference of 200 bucks.

Thread Starter #10
Sorry for back to back posts.

Saroya, would you recommend this one (https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161876866275) or the one you ordered (https://m.ebay.in/itm?itemId=161876864945)?

The product you have has 6 month warranty while the other has 1 year warranty. I think the RVM type one would be better for a difference of 200 bucks.
Both are from same seller , you can choose one you like.
Personally i will recommend the one with dashboard monitor . Reason : IRVM is very important for safe driving and i am not sure this monitor will give that much clear visibility which OEM giving . Second these are monitor only ,you can't play videos directly on it, so it will be used only during reversing the car but the IRVM which it will block will be used all the time while driving . Third : monitor has three wires ,one for power and two for Video input. It will be difficult to hide these in the roof otherwise hanging wires in front of your eyes will not look good.

Both are from same seller , you can choose one you like.
Personally i will recommend the one with dashboard monitor . Reason : IRVM is very important for safe driving and i am not sure this monitor will give that much clear visibility which OEM giving . Second these are monitor only ,you can't play videos directly on it, so it will be used only during reversing the car but the IRVM which it will block will be used all the time while driving . Third : monitor has three wires ,one for power and two for Video input. It will be difficult to hide these in the roof otherwise hanging wires in front of your eyes will not look good.
I already ordered the mirror display one last night! I did it basically for the 1 year warranty it provides, as both of them were non-branded and could catch up problems. I talked to the seller and he said that this one has clips to stick on the ORVM and will be replaced within one month if the product has any fault, not caused by the user. He said that the ORVM is an Anti glare one and the wiring would be through the headliner, inside the A Pillar and then same as done in the other one. Also he claimed this one to be an LED display as opposed to LCD of dashboard type. I would update when I recieve the product.

I cancelled my order today. It had come to my home but I had talked to the seller that I will not accept it. I don't feel I would be able to do it as a DIY (Drilling part, wiring part from door sills to bumper) plus the old Swift which I have is already a rattlesnake. Will continue to crane my neck for some more time!

I am in two minds right now. When I sent the courier guy back, I was thinking of accepting the product. What should I do? My local accessory guy is quoting Rs. 3k for installation of 7" screen (on sunvisor) which will support USB, DVD and Aux. But it will look really tacky on my understated interiors of the Swift.

Thread Starter #13
I cancelled my order today. It had come to my home but I had talked to the seller that I will not accept it. I don't feel I would be able to do it as a DIY (Drilling part, wiring part from door sills to bumper) plus the old Swift which I have is already a rattlesnake. Will continue to crane my neck for some more time!

I am in two minds right now. When I sent the courier guy back, I was thinking of accepting the product. What should I do? My local accessory guy is quoting Rs. 3k for installation of 7" screen (on sunvisor) which will support USB, DVD and Aux. But it will look really tacky on my understated interiors of the Swift.
Oh, actually that was a right decision. If you are not confident about DIY, then it is better to avoid it. Routing wires through roof and A pillar is bit difficult task. It needs perfection otherwise will not look good and may rattle too.
Sunvisor screens are very good for this purpose. But difficult to find matching color with car's interior. You need two sunvisors otherwise different type and size sunvisors will not look good. Viewing angle may be a problem if you want to use it as audio /video player too. So if you want to install sunvisor screen then purchase from nearby market only after inquiring about the above points.

Last edited:
Oh, actually that was a right decision. If you are not confident about DIY, then it is better to avoid it. Routing wires through roof and A pillar is bit difficult task. It needs perfection otherwise will not look good and may rattle too.
Sunvisor screens are very good for this purpose. But difficult to find matching color with car's interior. You need two sunvisors otherwise different type and size sunvisors will not look good. Viewing angle may be a problem if you want to use it as audio /video player too. So if you want to install sunvisor screen then purchase from nearby market only after inquiring about the above points.
Some parts of this DIY scared me. I have opened the A Pillar inner cladding once and had no problem with it. I have also opened door sill plates, lower B pillar (seatbelt) area and taillamp - and had no problems. But I am a bit skeptical about the headliner (to route wires through it to the A pillar), dashboard (route wires through the dashboard to the door sill plate) and I am clueless about routing the camera wires after the rear door sill to the bumper/taillight and opening the rear bumper (for drilling the hole). I wasn't 100% sure about the installation and hence left it, otherwise I have done ICE install (components, coaxials, wiring, subwoofer, 2 amps, damping) and few other things as a DIY only.

I now realize how badly I wanted it, especially for that low price. I felt really sad that I had to return it. If the dashboard screen type was available with 1 year warranty, I would have ordered it. Wish installation was simple in this type of monitor.

Sunvisor screens that you are talking about is different from what I wanted to say. The shop owner showed a screen (7" or 10" maybe) which would act as a HU (playing videos, songs, DVDs, Sd card, USB) but will be fixed (drilled?) to the headliner and will be positioned in the centre. The colour didn't match with my car's interior plus it looked really terrible when opened - like what we have on Taxis. I didn't need the other functions actually as my JVC HU supports most of these and I am not a fan of videos/movies while driving.

i used the irvm type moniter in my brothers swift, its ok and he convinced me to buy it but i dont like irvm displays.but then i saw a foldable moniter at ebay.Both are having 4.3" display. but foldable moniter doesn't have any warranty. does warranty makes any difference because both are desi types products?
price of irvm moniter=1650(including camera)
price of foldable dashboard moniter=2500

Attachments

Top Bottom