DIY High Beam Assist Lights (Driving lamps): No Drill or Metal Bumper Required

Whats your favourate method to upgrade headlights?

• Total voters
Thread Starter #1

bhvm

Honoured Member
Last Month, My Blue boy got some High beam assists!

What the heck are High beam assists?

These are special Lamps with a zoom lens in front that produce a VERY tight spot straight ahed. The spot at 2 feet distance is JUST 6 inches round. That should give you an idea how tight the beam is. Comparatively, Factory high beams spread the spot to about 18 inches wide. In US, these lamps are also known as "Driving Lamps" The way they're wired, The come on and off with High beam Only, as a result, Its impossible to blind others in city where Low beams will be used.

Why not HID or High powered Halogens?

I choose this route as other options to Modify factory Headlamps, Eg Via HID Kit (Without projectors) or going for 100/90 Bulbs With relay, STILL tend to cause glare and blind people even in low beam mode. Think that the reflectors are not compatiable to the beam of HID or high power Bulbs. And these Bulbs generate too much light even in Low beam, where its a nusiance.

Other issue that keeps me from Fiddling with Factory Headlamps, Is the extra heat by High wattage bulbs, that tend to cause fading or Blackening of Plastic lens or Chrome reflector.

HIDs are also a NO-NO if your warranty is paramount concern.

How is it wired?
A new relay harness was installed to sap power directly from battery and the trigger was joined to factory high beam cable. So as soon as High beam is turned on, these bad boys come on as well.

Each lamp uses 50w halogen bulb. I must say that safety has increased a LOT after this mods and a few flashes are enough to make others dip their beams for me.

As usual, I followed the unique No-drill no-fuss install method by fabricating special brackets that grip the bumper slats.

Kindly browse the pics as they seem to be pretty self-explanatory.

Awesome mod BHVM sir and this one seems to be very useful too. I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) Where to purchase these lights from and how much do they cost?

2) what is the diamatere of the light reflector? I want to make out its diversion pattern just to GT a fair knowledge of how far it will go. I guess I have similar ellipsoidal system as the high beam in my Pulsar 220. Very tight light beam but it ends up breaking the glass within 4-5 hours of usage due to excessive heat concentration on the glass.

3) Is there a wire cutting involved? I mean in case someone tries to do it in their brand new/under warranty car?

Last and most important:
If you provide a complete pictorial guide for this mod then that will be awesome. From complete pictorial guide I mean that if you post all data like
1) what lights, where to buy and fir how much.
2) how to spot the high beam wire and how to work on it.
3) what relay to use, of what rating and how to couple it.

Actually this one won't only help other members but will also save this poor electrical engineer also from making any silly mistakes.

Thread Starter #3

bhvm

Honoured Member
Awesome mod BHVM sir and this one seems to be very useful too. I have a couple of questions to ask:

1) Where to purchase these lights from and how much do they cost?

2) what is the diamatere of the light reflector? I want to make out its diversion pattern just to GT a fair knowledge of how far it will go. I guess I have similar ellipsoidal system as the high beam in my Pulsar 220. Very tight light beam but it ends up breaking the glass within 4-5 hours of usage due to excessive heat concentration on the glass.

3) Is there a wire cutting involved? I mean in case someone tries to do it in their brand new/under warranty car?

Last and most important:
If you provide a complete pictorial guide for this mod then that will be awesome. From complete pictorial guide I mean that if you post all data like
1) what lights, where to buy and fir how much.
2) how to spot the high beam wire and how to work on it.
3) what relay to use, of what rating and how to couple it.

Actually this one won't only help other members but will also save this poor electrical engineer also from making any silly mistakes.
Vipul Sir,
Thanks for the compliment.

1> These lights are vintage.
They were on my Safari 1.9L TCIC in the year 1998 or '99. Then they got re-puporsed to Safari 3.0L DICOR in 2005, then to some other vehicle and finally landed up on my Blue boy. Surprisingly, The lamps still use their Original 50W H3 Bulb. I think it has seen over 5 vehicle changes.

They costed 660 a piece from Indore back then.

2> The dia of Lamp reflector is 110 MM. Actually, there is a magnifying glass In front and smooth reflector behind. I think in olden days where Projector technology was not introduced to India, some type of very thick magnifying glass was used. This aided the chrome reflector to provide a VERY tight beam pattern. I mean i can see a spot on the trees 100 FT away. I will try to get a pic of the lens.

3> If you are talking about a bike, please upgrade to LED bulb. ALL problems solved. Heat, Battery, Wiring, Warranty, EVERYTHING.
http://www.theautomotiveindia.com/f...t-conversion-bulbs-cars-bikes.html#post464181
Picking the CORRECT kind of LED bulb is paramount.

4> I have not posted the said details as they are unique to each vehicle, and one must work on case to case basis. In my XUV 500, The high beam trigger was taken from Fuse box. i10 uses single fuse for each headlamp and some stupid wiring which manages high and low beam with single fuse. I think the fuse is on Negative or something.

Hence, I slipped a small computer cable over the High beam Bulb terminal and pushed the socket on top of it. Thin cables will do for relay as they need <0.1W to operate. The relay used has a capacity of 40A. Its an old relay leftover from an HID KIT. I got away without any wire splicing or cutting. Not even Dust caps are cut.

Sirji, I seriously believe in RRR-
Recycle-Repair-Reuse.

Last edited:

Top Bottom