DIY High Power Dome Light From LED Bulb!!

Thread Starter #1
hi this is prasanth krishna, back with another simple yet use full diy .
the led dome lights available in market are not as bright or value for money .
the original manufacturing cost would be 30 to 40 RS.
which they sell it for 250 Rs. avg.

so as a ECE student, planned to do it myself... :)

things needed
led light ( bulb type , used in homes )
soldering iron
insulated thin wire
metal cutter
two 1amp fuse
thin gauge wire 1m'
some electrical knowledge

Attachments

bhvm

Honoured Member
Re: DIY - high power dome light from led bulb !!

lovely and Innovative.
a better option is to use 3528 led strips. they're 12v by default and have built in resistors. also very easy to adapt.

hi this is prasanth krishna, back with another simple yet use full diy .
the led dome lights available in market are not as bright or value for money .
the original manufacturing cost would be 30 to 40 RS.
which they sell it for 250 Rs. avg.

so as a ECE student, planned to do it myself... :)

things needed
led light ( bulb type , used in homes )
soldering iron
insulated thin wire
metal cutter
two 1amp fuse
thin gauge wire 1m'
some electrical knowledge
Cool man.. Can you suggest if i can have the same installed in my M800?

Thread Starter #4
Cool man.. Can you suggest if i can have the same installed in my M800?
Why not?
Off course yes, to make it simple use led strip as bhvm mentioned..make sure you made the setup needing the 12v supply not 3v or 6v
Buy 12v strip. It will be fine
Stick the strip in a card board and place it in.

bhvm

Honoured Member
if possible, stick the strips to metal /aluminum sheet. not only it reflects light better, but helps led keep cool.

Thread Starter #7
if possible, stick the strips to metal /aluminum sheet. not only it reflects light better, but helps led keep cool.
Yes you can stick with a aluminium sheet, but the bond which you use or glue comes with strip will block it, basically you dont need to do that to avoid short circuiting .
[:)]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Yes you can stick with a aluminium sheet, but the bond which you use or glue comes with strip will block it, basically you dont need to do that to avoid short circuiting .
[:)]
I didn't get you...
all the LEd lightbars that I made for my Solar project were pasted on aluminium heatsinks. no short circuit. after few weeks of use, the heatsink gets lukewarm ,which means it's drawing heat away from the led.
these leds have much better light output and life compared to strips on Furniture etc. some of my projects have been running 7 years daily.

Thread Starter #9
I didn't get you...
all the LEd lightbars that I made for my Solar project were pasted on aluminium heatsinks. no short circuit. after few weeks of use, the heatsink gets lukewarm ,which means it's drawing heat away from the led.
these leds have much better light output and life compared to strips on Furniture etc. some of my projects have been running 7 years daily.
was it a light bar or a led strip?
led strips mostly have copper lining to carry suppy in the rear , over that they insulate with gule ,so it sticks to any surface, the leds must be sticked with alluminium heatsink , but i am doubting 3v strips don't need it.
as its a dome light, there will be no air circulation what so ever, [cry]

bhvm

Honoured Member
was it a light bar or a led strip?
led strips mostly have copper lining to carry suppy in the rear , over that they insulate with gule ,so it sticks to any surface, the leds must be sticked with alluminium heatsink , but i am doubting 3v strips don't need it.
as its a dome light, there will be no air circulation what so ever, [cry]
I made lightbar out of led strips by putting parallel strips on a aluminum heatsink. I generally have 4 strips adjacent to each other. the resulting lightbar consumes 12 watts and provides decent output like a tube light. this is what I use at my office.

for the copper buttons, I ran a lining of transparent tape over the heatsink before pasting strips. this is not required if you're using waterproof strips. they're sealed in bottom too.

despite the tape, heatsink is doing its job well. these lightbars are usually in 16 hour duty in my office (on Solar ).

about your dome, the air factor can make leds fail very quickly. however you will be using only few minutes (opp 16 hours ) so should be fine.

Last edited:
Thread Starter #11
I made lightbar out of led strips by putting parallel strips on a aluminum heatsink. I generally have 4 strips adjacent to each other. the resulting lightbar consumes 12 watts and provides decent output like a tube light. this is what I use at my office.

for the copper buttons, I ran a lining of transparent tape over the heatsink before pasting strips. this is not required if you're using waterproof strips. they're sealed in bottom too.

despite the tape, heatsink is doing its job well. these lightbars are usually in 16 hour duty in my office (on Solar ).

about your dome, the air factor can make leds fail very quickly. however you will be using only few minutes (opp 16 hours ) so should be fine.
does a dome light really need a heatsink in tight space and no airflow in it?
also dome light mostly wont be used more than a minute in most times

does a dome light really need a heatsink in tight space and no airflow in it?
also dome light mostly wont be used more than a minute in most times
Mine is the lamp of 4 leds with a resistor(Forgot its value) and always made sure not to use more than 5 mins[lol](Before installing it in to the dome did a 15mins continuous usage test and found anything is fine.)

Once I forgot to switch it to "door mode" from "ON mode" after the interior cleaning works on a Saturday night and let is there for about 36hours.[surprise] This incident was with my stock battery which was more than 5 years old, so I fainted by seeing the light glowing inside :eek: I rushed to grab the key and unlocked the car and switched it off. On a quick checkup found the temperature is quite normal doesnt feel like it was glowing for more than a day. I thought the battery must have drained and the car wont start but luckily it started.

I never thought either the LEDs or the resistor I used will have this much tolerance.

Thread Starter #13
Mine is the lamp of 4 leds with a resistor(Forgot its value) and always made sure not to use more than 5 mins[lol](Before installing it in to the dome did a 15mins continuous usage test and found anything is fine.)

Once I forgot to switch it to "door mode" from "ON mode" after the interior cleaning works on a Saturday night and let is there for about 36hours.[surprise] This incident was with my stock battery which was more than 5 years old, so I fainted by seeing the light glowing inside :eek: I rushed to grab the key and unlocked the car and switched it off. On a quick checkup found the temperature is quite normal doesnt feel like it was glowing for more than a day. I thought the battery must have drained and the car wont start but luckily it started.

I never thought either the LEDs or the resistor I used will have this much tolerance.
Ha ha, technology saves man, just think if there was halogen?
Think about battery?
But leds are far less power consumer
In mW not 2 or 3w halogens which emit less light though
So changing led for home also saves you some 100rs every month

Think about battery?
But leds are far less power consumer
In mW not 2 or 3w halogens which emit less light though

OT: Already converted home lights to LED and even ceiling fan to low power consuming fan.[:D] Saved 111units on the present electricity bill.[clap]

bhvm

Honoured Member
Once I forgot to switch it to "door mode" from "ON mode" after the interior cleaning works on a Saturday night and let is there for about 36hours.This incident was with my stock battery which was more than 5 years old, so I fainted by seeing the light glowing inside I rushed to grab the key and unlocked the car and switched it off. On a quick checkup found the temperature is quite normal doesnt feel like it was glowing for more than a day. I thought the battery must have drained and the car wont start but luckily it started.
LEDs rule the roost in This department. LED's are Highly sensitive to small changes in Voltage. A Voltage difference of 1v can reduce the Power consumption my Half!

As you left the lights on, The battery slowly discharged to perhaps 11.5 or 11v. As a result, The LED power consumption (which was very small to begin with) Reduced even more and saved the battery.

OT: Already converted home lights to LED and even ceiling fan to low power consuming fan.[:D] Saved 111units on the present electricity bill.[clap]
Double OTT-
Added LEDs and also converted Home+ office on Solar for powering the LED![evil]
Im running a dedicated 12v line for the LED. A regular car battery can power table lamp level LEDs for over a week!
Now i have big fat 3 batteriers that are charged by solar and used at night. I think I have a month of LED glow in those batteries!

Top Bottom