Tata Zest Mud in Engine Bay Issue: DIY Solution

Thread Starter #1
Guys, Here comes the DIY for Mud in Engine Bay issue.

Will start off from where we left last time.
So, my fix on one side was lost during a high speed drive. The other side fix is still going strong and I decided not to replace it until it is lost by itself.
The previous fixing was not done with the kind of perfection I would have like to. How the one side fix is still there is what I'm wondering [:D].

Lets Begin with the things you need, The total cost of things to purchase is less than 100, But it requires 2-3 hours of your time.

WP_20141101_002.jpg
WP_20141101_004.jpg
WP_20141101_006.jpg

1. Plastic file (look for one which is of better quality, but still flexible)
2. Fevibond Adhesive (trust me, buy only this. Feviquick is not great for this purpose)
3. Sand paper
4. Scissors

Step 1: Cut the file at its jointed edges so that you get a flat sheet like below
WP_20141102_001.jpg

Step 2: Fold and cut the sheet right in the middle so that you get two equal sized sheets
WP_20141102_002.jpg

Step 3: Rub with sand paper on bottom edge for around 1 inch thickness on both sheets.
WP_20141102_004.jpg

Step 4: Keep a few pieces of file like below. It will be needed later.
WP_20141101_007.jpg

Step 5 : Clean the inside rim of the wheel wells, first with a wet cloth and then with dry one. Then rub the thin rim area with sand paper.
WP_20141102_007.jpg

Step 6: Apply Fevibond on both surfaces. This adhesive have to be applied on each surfaces and then leave for 10 mins. While applying, use the small pieces of plastic file(step : 4) to evenly spread the adhesive. Inside rim its difficult to apply the adhesive without these plastic flaps.

WP_20141102_010.jpg
WP_20141102_016.jpg

Step 7: Its the final step of sticking the flap, and its most crucial.
Keep in mind that this adhesive after 10 mins of application, will stick immediately to the other surface.
So you wont get a chance to re position it. So make sure before you press them together, you have placed it in the right sport.
The idea is to cover maximum of the front part. one side of the flap should be reaching till the area where plastic wheel well rim ends. (In the below image where the red rectangle box is drawn, that location should be stick-en by one edge of the flap and the other side should make a semi circle around the suspension without touching it)
Once it seems in the right position, press the flap firmly to the rim at all point of contact.
In the correct position, the flap bottom edge will be perfectly inside the rim till the edge of wheel well.
Leave the car for 2-3 hours.
area.jpg

Thats it :cool: Now, just verify that things are in place.
open the bonnet and put your hands with a phone cam in video mode(with flash on) inside the small opening on the side of battery behind the head light assembly.
Take out and watch the video. You should see something like this before and after.
WP_20140929_005.jpg
wp_ss_20141102_0020.png

From the wheel opening, if you look up, it should look something like below.
after.png

I've been running on this fix for more than 500 kms now and can confirm, it works perfectly well. No rattling noises, nothing.

Those who are interested in saving your Zest from Rest, I would recommend doing this immediately after delivery.
Because after running in rain, the cabin will be full of mud and its almost impossible to clean it completely.

NB: 99 percentage, I believe when TML will give a fix, that will be by replacing the existing plastic wheel well with an extended one. So dont be much worried about applying sand paper on it. ( I know you will be tensed about it) [cheers]

Last edited:
Re: Tata Zest Quadrajet XT (Buzz Blue): Ownership Review

Harish. Keep it up!!!
Kindly join TML. Please !!!![:D]

Really good and innovative job. Hope this method lasts till TML provides us a permanent fix.

Thread Starter #5

Thank you guys for the appreciation [:D]
Would love to hear about your experiences trying to implement the fix and the effectiveness.
So, Whoever attempting this, please let us know and post a few pics after implementation.

Hope this method lasts till TML provides us a permanent fix.
The only chance of the fix not lasting is that the adhesive is not applied on both sides evenly. I have already kept 1 sheet ready to be fixed in case the previous one flies off [;)].
Once you do it, next time, things are much easy and you can do it within minutes.
After long drives, its better to check if the flap is still there.
Made a pdf out of your post. Bible for tata Zest owners.
View attachment 151134
Great. I have also give a link to this post to the main post of ownership thread.

NB: 99 percentage, I believe when TML will give a fix, that will be by replacing the existing plastic wheel well with an extended one. So dont be much worried about applying sand paper on it. ( I know you will be tensed about it) [cheers][/QUOTE]

Hello Harish,
Very nice idea. However I have used X-Ray sheets instead of plastic files. Under observation[shock]

will post the pics if it holds.

Thread Starter #7

However I have used X-Ray sheets instead of plastic files. Under observation[shock]
Great. An X-ray sheet will be better if it stays. Its more hard than a plastic file.
My only concern is that X-Ray sheet might be applying force on itself to regain its normal flat state. Which might cause it to slowly come off if the sticking procedure was not perfect. Hope it doesn't happen.

Great. An X-ray sheet will be better if it stays. Its more hard than a plastic file.
My only concern is that X-Ray sheet might be applying force on itself to regain its normal flat state. Which might cause it to slowly come off if the sticking procedure was not perfect. Hope it doesn't happen.
Ya just did it 2 days back .From now on its just wait and watch.

Guys, Here comes the DIY for Mud in Engine Bay issue.

Will start off from where we left last time.
So, my fix on one side was lost during a high speed drive. The other side fix is still going strong and I decided not to replace it until it is lost by itself.
The previous fixing was not done with the kind of perfection I would have like to. How the one side fix is still there is what I'm wondering [:D].

Lets Begin with the things you need, The total cost of things to purchase is less than 100, But it requires 2-3 hours of your time.

View attachment 151063
View attachment 151064
View attachment 151065

1. Plastic file (look for one which is of better quality, but still flexible)
2. Fevibond Adhesive (trust me, buy only this. Feviquick is not great for this purpose)
3. Sand paper
4. Scissors

Step 1: Cut the file at its jointed edges so that you get a flat sheet like below
View attachment 151067

Step 2: Fold and cut the sheet right in the middle so that you get two equal sized sheets
View attachment 151068

Step 3: Rub with sand paper on bottom edge for around 1 inch thickness on both sheets.
View attachment 151069

Step 4: Keep a few pieces of file like below. It will be needed later.
View attachment 151070

Step 5 : Clean the inside rim of the wheel wells, first with a wet cloth and then with dry one. Then rub the thin rim area with sand paper.
View attachment 151074

Step 6: Apply Fevibond on both surfaces. This adhesive have to be applied on each surfaces and then leave for 10 mins. While applying, use the small pieces of plastic file(step : 4) to evenly spread the adhesive. Inside rim its difficult to apply the adhesive without these plastic flaps.

View attachment 151073
View attachment 151075

Step 7: Its the final step of sticking the flap, and its most crucial.
Keep in mind that this adhesive after 10 mins of application, will stick immediately to the other surface.
So you wont get a chance to re position it. So make sure before you press them together, you have placed it in the right sport.
The idea is to cover maximum of the front part. one side of the flap should be reaching till the area where plastic wheel well rim ends. (In the below image where the red rectangle box is drawn, that location should be stick-en by one edge of the flap and the other side should make a semi circle around the suspension without touching it)
Once it seems in the right position, press the flap firmly to the rim at all point of contact.
In the correct position, the flap bottom edge will be perfectly inside the rim till the edge of wheel well.
Leave the car for 2-3 hours.
View attachment 151076

Thats it :cool: Now, just verify that things are in place.
open the bonnet and put your hands with a phone cam in video mode(with flash on) inside the small opening on the side of battery behind the head light assembly.
Take out and watch the video. You should see something like this before and after.
View attachment 151078
View attachment 151077

From the wheel opening, if you look up, it should look something like below.
View attachment 151079

I've been running on this fix for more than 500 kms now and can confirm, it works perfectly well. No rattling noises, nothing.

Those who are interested in saving your Zest from Rest, I would recommend doing this immediately after delivery.
Because after running in rain, the cabin will be full of mud and its almost impossible to clean it completely.

NB: 99 percentage, I believe when TML will give a fix, that will be by replacing the existing plastic wheel well with an extended one. So dont be much worried about applying sand paper on it. ( I know you will be tensed about it) [cheers]
Hello Harish,

I have booked Zest XT Quadrajet (Sky Grey) and expecting delivery by May 10.
I checked with the dealer regarding the mud issue and they told that TML has fixed the issue by reducing the gap and the newer models dont have the issue.
As per dealer I will be getting 2015, April model.

Thread Starter #11
Hello Harish,

I have booked Zest XT Quadrajet (Sky Grey) and expecting delivery by May 10.
I checked with the dealer regarding the mud issue and they told that TML has fixed the issue by reducing the gap and the newer models dont have the issue.
As per dealer I will be getting 2015, April model.
Hello Arjun,

Thats a good news if its true.
But don't completely trust on the SA words.
Once you do the PDI, take a pic of the cabin like that one "before and after" in my above post and put it here.
Looking at that we can comment if really they have installed the fix.

Yup I agree with Harish there. I was told the same by SA that no such issues are there and all recent vehicles after November dont have that issue etc But after repeated queries they finally acceded to the request and checked. Finally found that the kit was not fitted in my vehicle and they booked the same to tata motors and fitted it free of cost. BTW if the SA doesnt know how to fit it they might mess it up also, do check and ensure there is no gap as the foam filler is supposed to close the gap between the plates.

20150521_115812__1432202800_122.167.149.27.jpg

20150521_115809__1432202962_60772.jpg

20150521_115801__1432203138_69483.jpg
Hello Arjun,

Thats a good news if its true.
But don't completely trust on the SA words.
Once you do the PDI, take a pic of the cabin like that one "before and after" in my above post and put it here.
Looking at that we can comment if really they have installed the fix.
Hi

I got my Zest XT 2 weeks before all going good. I think the kit is installed by default in my Zest till now no mud issues even in rain.
Here are the pictures and please share your thoughts. 20150521_115812__1432202800_122.167.149.27.jpg

20150521_115809__1432202962_60772.jpg

Last edited:
hello friends

has any one got mud bracket installed in zest recently ? can you pls share the pics ?

has it helped in muddy conditions ?

Had heavy rains in Mysore yesterday and after the drive checked the engine compartment for any water/mud indication behind the head light assembly but couldnt find any. Seems the MIB kit has solved it.

Top Bottom