DIY Electric Car For Children

Thread Starter #1
After being pestered for some time by my kids to buy them an electric car I decided rather than buying one I would build one. The idea behind this was to get them involved in the project, so they would also learn some fundamentals of how cars work.

Built using wood and hardboard
12 volt electric motor
Wheels and steering scavenged from a broken car I found on ebay

Some incidental features:
Front wheels adjustable for toe!!
Working rear brakes
Plan to install lights/horn etc

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

View attachment 144496

350Z

Core Team
That's what I call a true petrolhead. Finding an excuse to work on cars at each opportunity. Great job, Adil. A detailed DIY-Guide will be of huge benefit to all readers.

Drive Safe,
350Z

After being pestered for some time by my kids to buy them an electric car I decided rather than buying one I would build one. The idea behind this was to get them involved in the project, so they would also learn some fundamentals of how cars work.

Built using wood and hardboard
12 volt electric motor
Wheels and steering scavenged from a broken car I found on ebay

Some incidental features:
Front wheels adjustable for toe!!
Working rear brakes
Plan to install lights/horn etc

View attachment 144497

View attachment 144498

View attachment 144496
Excellent work brother. It look very interesting...[clap]

Thread Starter #4
Hi 350Z
Its bit of an addiction!!
Unfortunately didn't particularly keep a record of this project. Just built it as I went along. But am planning in to build a petrol engined go kart for the kids at some point and will def do a blog of that when I get round to it.

Adil, Could you please share the tyre size and the overall dimensions of the car? Also the type of 12V motor used there.

Thread Starter #6
Wheels are 6 inches
Car is 18 inches wide and 4 feet long apprlx
The motor is a geared unit from a cordless drill. My setup is a bit complex but the easiest option is to drive one of the rear wheels directly using a cordless drill. Will post a drawing to give an idea.

Thread Starter #9
About 6000 rs. But the car was built in UK so material is more expensive. Electric drill will cost about 2500rs unless u got one lying around.
Built from hardboard and prices of wood. Wheels can be scavenged from small children's cycles, scooters, etc

So, I am headed to do a electric car on my own but with a 50 or 75 cc 2stroke petrol engine(from TVS XL Super or TVS 50 because these are the only gearless and sprocket driving engine.) Can I use scooter engines here ???
And Steering is the most tough part here.
UK has many source but I am in India searching for a steering like that one !
@Adil
Hardwood ? Can you show me the frame design ??

@Adil:
Why not a BLDC hub motor?

I have built a couple of projects on electric cars ans personally I am yet to find anything better and more efficient than a BLDC motor. Its an expensive option though!

But yes, a proper car with proper suspension system, good seats and capable of doing 20-30 kph can be built for upto 25-35k easily.

Top Bottom