DIY: Solution For Hyundai Verna Rear Suspension Noise

Thread Starter #1
Hello everyone! I recently completed two years of ownership of Fluidic Verna out of which I've spent almost 20 months with the very common rear suspension noise of Verna.
I recently discovered an idea to arrest the noise from the rear suspension of my car.
NOTE: I only recommend this DIY technique to those owners who have their cars out of warranty or to those who are not very much bothered about the warranty

I think most of the Verna owner would have noticed that when the car is under load (5 people onboard and trunk full of load) , the rear suspension makes a squeaking noise while
going over bumbs and spead breakers. According to the ASS the noise is because of the bent rear axle (in case of my car) which according to them is damaged.
But I knew that it was never damaged and it was purely a manufacturing defect in the car. The ASS wanted me to pay for a new rear axle (approx 12.5k + labour).
I was not interested in paying the amount and was determined to find a cheaper fix. On a rainy day I noticed that the springs were actually silent inspite of being under load!
This made me realise that there was something to do with lubrication of the springs so I planned my own DIY method and did what follows :biggrin:

Step 1: 1-DSC_0994.jpg

Get yourself some grease from your local fuel station. I bought MAK multi-purpose grease for Rs-125.

Step 2:
1-DSC_0996.jpg
The tools required are just available in your trunk [cheers]

step 3:
1-DSC_0999.jpg
Thats where the Jack needs to be placed

Step 4:
1-DSC_1001.jpg
After removing the wheel, keep it it underneath the car as a precaution . Even if the jack fails the car will land on the wheel and not on the ground. (recommended evern during punctures)

Step 5:
1-DSC_1003.jpg
Thats how the springs look. The rounded portion shows the root cause of the noise which is the bent axle plate where the spring sits.

Step 6:
1-DSC_1007.jpg
Grab yourself a tooth brush and start applying the grease from the axle plate gaps ( where ever there is room for movement) Just like in the pictures.

step 7:
1-DSC_1021.jpg

1-DSC_1014.jpg
repeat the same to the other side.

Dont expect a service centre to do this kind of a job because service centres only believe in replacing and not repairing (for long term reliability). I've almost covered 100 kms under load after doing the lubrication and there was no noise at all .
My honest opinion is that the spring noise will be eliminated till the grease lasts.
But then it is better to travel without annoying noise isnt it ?

Thread Starter #3
@anushuman8, thanks for the appreciation ! [:)]
Thats exactly the reason why I found a way to solve the problem.

actually the guys at the service center do apply grease between the rubber and the axle plate, but not to the whole spring. Great diy i will try this soon. However why would the service center void warranty for just greasing it?

Sorry for being negative here.
It may give you some short term remedy, but it's not the right solution.
1) Adding grease will attract a lot of mud / dust
2) When mud gets trapped between the spring and the lower seat, paint over the spring will get peeled off. Resulting a rusted spring (prone to break)
3) Adding grease will deteriorate the rubber spring seat property

Thread Starter #6
@nick, thats because i thought the service centre would find an excuse to tell why the problem cannot be solved. Most of all i though the greasing idea was totally amature [thinking]

A good DIY for a temporary basis, but sorry for being a bit harsh, it will induce more wear and tear due to the accumulated dust.

Thats a nice try Jerwin![clap] But that a temporary solution...

Well, my May 2012 Fluidic has the third set of rear springs. (All replaced under warranty)

First were the stock ones, got changed because of the height.

Second were better but has this noise issue same as yours. The noise basically was the springs toughing each other when crossing a speed breaker under moderate load. Told this to the service center guys but they refused of hearing any noise since I had already got the updated spring. After threatening them that I will go to some other service center, they paid some attention to my issue. My SA told that coiling needs to be done. Its basically a tube inserted on the springs to remove the noise. (He was the best SA I had came across, but sad he left Hyundai after some time!) But before doing this he had to take a kind of NOC from Hyundai (not exactly a NOC but a kind of approval to carry on the job.) He later told that there are latest springs which they will fix them in my car before they go on with coiling.

Third are the latest springs which are currently doing their job in my car.

Thread Starter #11
As of now , there hasn't been any issue. I did not do any under body wash and covered almost 1500 kms after greasing.
I just hope it holds good much longer [roll]

Thread Starter #13
@ankit024, the noise returned as soon as the grease got dried up but after a span of almost 10 months. I found out the whole springs dont have to be greased and only the axle plate where the springs are seated are needed to be greased and did accordingly and going fine as of now.

Top Bottom